Question Confused Windows OEM system Builder License

in 2012 I bought a windows 7 home 64 system builder OEM disc. I put that windows on my old system with a new hard drive and it worked.

That same Year I built a new system only re using the hard drive and case everything else was new and did a clean install of 7 and it worked.

2016. I have that same PC I built in 2012 I upgraded the 7 OEM license to windows 10.

What will happen if I get new hardware? I keep reading if theres a new motherboard windows license is no good anymore. This really confuses me because I swear I have already transfered the license successfully to another PC entering the product key I didnt have to call microsoft.

I have 10 home on a 4 GB flash drive using the media creation tool. From the start when suggested I made a microsoft account. I have already reinstalled windows 10 cleanly multiple times but on the same PC. It never asked for a product key it just asked for me to enter my microsoft password then granted me a digital entitlement.

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked and noticed it no longer says Digital Entitlement just Windows is Activated.

Quote Originally Posted by White Spider Association View Post
    in 2012 I bought a windows 7 home 64 system builder OEM disc. I put that windows on my old system with a new hard drive and it worked.

That same Year I built a new system only re using the hard drive and case everything else was new and did a clean install of 7 and it worked.

2016. I have that same PC I built in 2012 I upgraded the 7 OEM license to windows 10.

What will happen if I get new hardware? I keep reading if theres a new motherboard windows license is no good anymore. This really confuses me because I swear I have already transfered the license successfully to another PC entering the product key I didnt have to call microsoft.

I have 10 home on a 4 GB flash drive using the media creation tool. From the start when suggested I made a microsoft account. I have already reinstalled windows 10 cleanly multiple times but on the same PC. It never asked for a product key it just asked for me to enter my microsoft password then granted me a digital entitlement.

- - - Updated - - -

I just looked and noticed it no longer says Digital Entitlement just Windows is Activated.
    If you change your hard drive you will have to buy another copy of windows, sometimes the motherboard does this as well, it's considered a new machine at that point. You can however call up and possibly get them to give you a key. It happened to me was to much of a hassle so I just bought Windows 10 pro for 40 bucks online.
    https://i.redditmedia.com/P8UE8DAGeB...c1ef120404fdbd
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    This term isn't far off, though it would need the word "scientific" in front of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If you change your hard drive you will have to buy another copy of windows, sometimes the motherboard does this as well, it's considered a new machine at that point. You can however call up and possibly get them to give you a key. It happened to me was to much of a hassle so I just bought Windows 10 pro for 40 bucks online.
    Super wrong, you can use the same old W7 key to activate since November, and since Anniversary, activation is tied to Microsoft account. Change hardware as much as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Super wrong, you can use the same old W7 key to activate since November, and since Anniversary, activation is tied to Microsoft account. Change hardware as much as you want.
    Can't activate with the Windows 7 key though. Have to activate with Microsoft Account.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 256GB Samsung EVO 850 PRO | 2TB WD2003FZEX | 2TB WD20EFRX | Sound Blaster Z | Thermalright Archon Rev.A | Chieftec BPS-850C | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | Tt eSPORTS POSSEIDON | Kingston HyperX Cloud | BenQ XL2411T

ok thank you for all the replies. I can report I have already put 7 on a different drive as of 2015 an SSD and there was no issue. I upgraded 7 to 10 on that SSD in 2016. I sign into windows using a PIN number I created when asked to after the first installation. I have tied the 10 license to a brand new microsoft account this year. I used my AOL email adress at first for the account but have since changed it to a new outlook address.