Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mine's stable at 4.9, but with my cooler temps go up to 94C with IntelBurnTest, so I'm not gonna submit till I get something better than this GeminII S
    Super casual.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    Mine's stable at 4.9, but with my cooler temps go up to 94C with IntelBurnTest, so I'm not gonna submit till I get something better than this GeminII S
    So long as it doesn't thermally shutdown you're honestly fine. :P IntelBurnTest will most likely pull the highest possible temps your CPU will ever experience, so don't worry about it, though I would definitely see about getting some better cooling for it. 94 certainly isn't healthy, but I would not even want mine running at like say, 80 Celsius during some heavy-CPU-tasking time.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol "I don't want to BLOW UP MY CPU!!!!"

What kinda water loop do you have?

I actually have a rasa rs240 kit that I replaced the hoses in. Great temps. At stock speeds my 2500k rarely breaks 45c. I love this setup so far. I will be adding at least one more rad to my loop and incorporating a GPU in it when I get rid of my 2xGTX 570s and go back to single GPU for a 7970 or whatever the next gen green card is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saithes View Post
    Not sure why people are scared to go above 1.4v on Sandybridge :P The design guide and such still state 1.52v as the maximum safe operating voltage lol.

By the time it does die anyways it'll be obsolete.
    Over 1.4v isn't bad. Over 1.4v with LLC enabled is bad, as you end up with microspikes crossing (or at least potentially crossing) the 1.52v mark.

I agree about the voltage, Cil. I have mine running at 1.4 for every day computing. I am, however, considering sending Intel $20 and seeing EXACTLY what this puppy can do.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm new to overclocking and i noticed that my clock multiplier fluctuates between two numbers. Is this Instability? Because even at stock multiplier and voltage it does this.

15+ Year Old Account
    That'd probably be just the power saving feature. It down clocks automatically via the multiplier when there's no load on the processor to save power and should be perfectly fine and awesome. If it does that under 100% load, then you have something going wrong.

Yeah, even benching at 5GHz my chip drops down to 1600MHz while idle.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does this while running Prime95. It alternates between a multiplier of 21 and 14. It also does this at stock setting with a 15.5 multiplier and 14. I am getting my info from CPU-Z. I have an AMD 8120.

Are you running Prime95 on all cores? What are your temperatures while you are doing this?
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    it is running on all 8 cores and it is running around 34c

Sounds like it might be an incompatible motherboard. I have an old Athlon 64 X2 6000+ in a board that doesn't support its core, and it boots at either 3 or 3.1GHz depending on what the board feels like doing. It acts a bit weird with the power saving too.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    its an Asus Sabertooth 990FX and an AMD 8120. I don't think they are incompatible.

It is if you have the 0803 BIOS or later, according to ASUS' web site. Worth checking what BIOS version the board has.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name: Cyanotical
    Processor: Intel Core i7-3960x
    Clock: 4.7 Ghz
    Voltage: 1.44
    Cooler: water
    Screenshot LINK: http://i.imgur.com/0XBPa.jpg
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2208426

this post is invisible to deltrus :P
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-02-02 at 07:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    It is if you have the 0803 BIOS or later, according to ASUS' web site. Worth checking what BIOS version the board has.
    thanks for the tip. I thought i updated everything after the build. I am currently running 4.2 ghz semi-tested. I tried 4.6 but windows crashed about 10 minutes in prim95 at about 1.39v.

I dont know too much about voltage, especially on this chip but I am pretty sure i can up it quite a bit.

At what range of temperatures should I start getting worried about doing damage to the CPU?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have come to the conclusion that F@H is not a proper stress test. Even SWTOR is stressing my cpu more than it does. IMO it should not be accepted.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that F@H is not a proper stress test. Even SWTOR is stressing my cpu more than it does. IMO it should not be accepted.
    You have to run more than one instance of it. I initially thought the same before I realized you need to have more than one open.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    You have to run more than one instance of it. I initially thought the same before I realized you need to have more than one open.
    Or run it in SMP mode. The F@H GPU Tracker is a great tool to use for Folding.
    Super casual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo6912 View Post
    the standard client only replaces the system idle process, you will never notice it, the SMP and bigADV will stress a CPU to 100% on all cores for days on end