Page 44 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bumping this thread for good measure. :>

I must be doing something wrong. After finishing up a few lose ends in WoW before I started overclocking at all, I sort of bumped into a few brick walls. First of all; BIOS update. Smart as I am I managed to not save my settings so I'm at this again. I sort of think I remember what kind of settings I was having but you never know.

I started with x47 on my 4770k, I believe I managed to hold it steady for a couple of hours before at 1.35 vcore and 1.95 vccin. I try to not let VCCIN go more than +0.6 above vcore, 0.5 preferably. OCCT would throw out a myriad of issues.

My OCCT settings for all my testing have pretty much been the Infinite test type with 85c as the max temp stop. Large Data set, automatic threads and 64bit test version.

It might also be worth noting that my uncore and vring is set to x33 and 1.15v, underclocking it while getting stable, and enabling LLC Level 8, I believe C States are set to automatic by default on Asus boards so I haven't bothered enabling them. XMP is turned off and all voltage settings have been set to fully manual mode. Balanced power settings is enabled in Windows.

During my entire testing period it would BSOD with either 0x101 or 0x124 - both which indicate an increase of vcore is needed/decrease is needed -, even at 2 vccin and 1.39vcore it would still toss out the 0x101 error. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and WHEA_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT respectively.

I jump down to x46, set vcore to 1.32 which I've ran Aida64 8h+ with last December, vccin to 1.85 and it's still sporting funny 0x101 errors, I up the vcore by 0.05v and all of a sudden it sports 0x124. I continue to up it by 0.05v and I get the 0x101 error again. I actually got it running for more than 1-2 minutes once, but after 4m:21s it would stop the test because one of my cores reached the max temperature threshold (85c), I've never been able to run it for that long again, besides on stock clocks.

For good measure I completely formatted my system and redid the same tests above with same settings / increments and see the same behavior.

Alternatively, x264 from the Haswell overclock net thread seems to do well. I ran it for 18 minutes -- x46, 1.36 vcore, 1.9 vccin without any errors but quit it as soon as temps started reaching 85c and above.

There must be some black magic with OCCT that I'm missing......

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember getting those errors a lot when trying to overclock my i5-2500K to the 4.5GHz+ mark... no matter how much more VCore I added, it didn't hold. What ended up needing adjustment was PLL overvoltage needing to be enabled.

Not saying that's what is the problem with yours, but sometimes the error presented is not the actual error, if you get what I mean.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    PLL is what gave me problems past 4400 on my old 2500K as well.

I couldn't get past 4750 after that though. Some chips just aren't as good as others.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha!

I just got a new comp recently and it's a gaming comp. Has that "MSI Afterburner".

But I have no idea how to work any of that stuff, and can only catch maybe 1/5th of the terms & techniques being thrown around in here. =C

But it showz my shadowz gud! =P

http://imgur.com/dNZP0Xc

Not even fully sure what I have, as to know what it could or couldn't do.
    Last edited by Violent; 2014-09-19 at 09:25 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

I'm sorry, but "gaming" and a GT 610 do not go go together in any universe >_>
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    I got it from Newegg.com, which it was listed under "gaming PC". Not my "own" standard of categories.

I know it runs games a hell of a lot better than any laptop or All-in-one PCs I've ever touched.

I don't know much about what it can do, but I do know it isn't supposed to be sitting on a desk, only running Microsoft Word all day long.
    Last edited by Violent; 2014-09-19 at 10:02 PM.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Was laughing for 2min with this

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    snip
    Well i'm sure if you headed over to the build help subforum and posted your current setup we could find some better GPUs for you

A bit more on topic, once I get a new PSU(hopefully won't be too far off) I am going to be playing around with my G3258 and see how high I can get it, going to shoot for a stable 4.5-4.6
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have the gt 610 listed under gaming because they know misrepresentation of garbage is the only way to sell it. Sorry to say. The 610 is great, if you're still only running 800x600. At a real resolution it will cry.
    "A flower.

I've never messed with PLL at all. It's set to auto in my bios for the moment. Think that I'm somewhat too restricting on my temperatures as I'm unsure about the safe operating levels on the 4770k. Specially when I see them reaching 80-85c I'm getting nervous very fast.

That in turn probably limits how far I willing to push my core and vccin. I have a kraken x40 cooler at the moment so it might just be that it's not good enough to push the multiplier I want to reach. Over at over lock, one of the baddest CPUs that have been recorded needed a whooping 1.375vcore and 2vccin before getting stable at x47 and that's a whole lot more than I've pushed mine.

I've had it stable before at x46 without issues so it might also be one of the many bios updates I've applied that messed with that.

OCCT, after looking into it a little bit uses a 2-part testing procedure that uses an old version of linpack that's brutal on your CPU and another test that is similar to large ffts from prime 28.5 so that alone might be a reason why as we'll. I don't know.

Might just do a CMOS clear and drop the multiplier down to 45 while I'm looking for a new cooler.

What are some suggestions to upgrade to over the x40? No custom loop since I can't really afford that right now, but have about $150 to spend on a new one. Thoughts on the x61 from nzxt?

15+ Year Old Account
    You can upgrade but you won't see higher overclocks with "better" cooler. It's the way ivy bridge and haswell architecture and TIM works. You'll hit a point after which the heat just can't dissipate fast enough to the heat spreader.

Delidding might help but even that in some cases hasn't proven to be that big of an improvement overclock wise. Temperatures should get down by quite a lot though.

Hmm. You might be right. It's just strange seeing my current results. My x45 only requires 1.27vcore so I guess I just have to experiment with vcore and vccin a little bit more while eyeballing the temps. While I know Haswell runs hot, once the temps reach ~85c I get nervous, even though I know that my temps are never over 60-65c while doing anything else at x46.

Deleted
    Name: Khuzdul
    Processor: i7-4790k
    Clock: 4.8Ghz
    Voltage: 1.357v
    Cooler: Noctua Nh-D15 /flex
    Screenshot LINK: http://i.imgur.com/VBlfV1k.png ( and this one with name. sry i forgot before stopping the test http://i.imgur.com/A7NEGjt.png)
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/2tcx59

I guess it's final for the moment! Need to revert back to an earlier BIOS version and update my cooler before pushing 4.7. :P

Name: Sancia
    Processor: Intel i7 4770k
    Clock: 4.5 Ghz
    Voltage: 1.28
    Cooler: NZXXT X40 Kraken
    Screenshot Link: http://i.imgur.com/fAlysQj.png
    Valid CPU-Z Link: http://valid.x86.fr/71ahv1

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Devil's Canyon section, Khuzdul, and Sancia!'

Congratulations, Khuzdul, on being the first Devil's Canyon owner to post a stable overclock! SPREAD THE WORD! Let's get some more, I also want more Haswell Es. :P
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Name: Brainni
    Processor: i7-4790k
    Clock: 4.7GHz
    Voltage: 1.270v
    Cooler: Phanteks TC14PE
    Screenshot LINK: http://imgur.com/gPAj32l
    Valid CPU-Z link: http://valid.x86.fr/ur2185

I did not try to push it any higher yet, the temperatures are allready somewhat out of my comfort level, but thats mostly because i switched from a old i5 2500k that could do 4.5GHz at ~40°C under full load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the delay, Brianni added! ^_^
    "A flower.

I just picked up a 5820k and X99 setup with 24GB of DDR4(Don't ask, they were sold out of 4GB sticks so I splurged and got a pair of 8GB sticks to finish the set).

I got it put together over the weekend, but had no time to tweak until last night and I just did some very basic stuff... I increased the voltage to 1.25v just to test my cooling out and make sure temps are good @4.4GHz. I am going to push frequency tonight at the same voltage. I might have to get a 120mm rad or something because temps are not quite as good as I would like. The chip looks promising so far though. 4.4GHz was stable all night last night. Tonight I mess around with 4.5-4.6 and see if I can get a crash. I am coming for you again Deltrus

Also, I just want to say that in the few benchmarks that I have run so far the 5820k is hilariously fast compared to a 2500k in rendering. Cinebench R15 1297 score. My 2500k @5GHz only got 586. I think I have a good enough excuse to get back into releasing more Youtube videos.
    Last edited by Demoness; 2014-11-04 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming for me? You already beat me. :P
    "A flower.

I don't count it yet. All I did was load a preloaded OC Profile that came on the BIOS. I am going to work on getting voltages down and clocks up, or just see how high of a clock I can get stable from the voltage I have right now.