Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Not sure about taking first place for the DC list. couldn't get 4.8 to sit still unless I went to 1.326v. Managed to not lockup / BSOD at that voltage, and run a 5 minute A64 burn. I'd have to go to 4.9Ghz to take first, with that voltage, and I don't have the thermal headroom to do so * banging 90c @ 4.8 and 1.326v. :/ *
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

Deleted
    Got my 6700K to 4.7GHz, but I'm running it on 4.6GHz with lower Voltage, just because I really don't need that extra 100MHz except for Benchmarking :x

Got 4.4Ghz @ 1.23v on my 5820k, which is very nice, but that's about it. For 4.5Ghz it needs a jump up to 1.3v which is kinda silly, and too much for my aircooler. Gonna try to run the stability test when I get my AIO water cooling.

I've just received today, from a friend of mine that's into doing reviews on misc. PC stuff, an AIO cooler... but not just any AIO.... EKWB Predator 240 AIO... now I have to figure out how to get it to work inside my R4 silent case. -_- There's literally 2mm of space I need to get it to be top mounted. Might have to move to a diff case just so I can use the damn thing. It will front mount, but I don't like the pump / res orientation with that setup.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EVGAFAVOR View Post
    Got my 6700K to 4.7GHz, but I'm running it on 4.6GHz with lower Voltage, just because I really don't need that extra 100MHz except for Benchmarking :x
    If it's 8 hours stable then there's no problem if you only want to show it for benchmarking!

Quote Originally Posted by Samitsu View Post
    Got 4.4Ghz @ 1.23v on my 5820k, which is very nice, but that's about it. For 4.5Ghz it needs a jump up to 1.3v which is kinda silly, and too much for my aircooler. Gonna try to run the stability test when I get my AIO water cooling.
    Awesome, look forward to seeing what you can manage!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravewyrm View Post
    I've just received today, from a friend of mine that's into doing reviews on misc. PC stuff, an AIO cooler... but not just any AIO.... EKWB Predator 240 AIO... now I have to figure out how to get it to work inside my R4 silent case. -_- There's literally 2mm of space I need to get it to be top mounted. Might have to move to a diff case just so I can use the damn thing. It will front mount, but I don't like the pump / res orientation with that setup.
    Me too, front setup also makes it harder to mount HDDs in the R4, thankfully the R5 fixed these problems, however the R5 introduced a few new problems, so if I replace my case, and likely stick with Fractal, I may wait to see what they offer with the R6, if it's coming, that is. Top-mounting is possible, but hard, in the R4, I know TinyTomLogan was saying when the R4 first came out it was basically impossible to fit in a 240, but I think some of the more recently released ones are made to fit the R4 better. I bid you good luck!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I'm leery of front mounting, due to the heat being pulled into the case. this raises the ambient within the case, making the MoBo run hotter, and the vicious cycle begins. :/

Edit: If I had a diff MoBo, I could possibly make it work top mounted. The rad hits the 12v 8pin on my MH6. If I found a comparable Asus board, with a diff location of the 12v connection, I could possibly pull it off .. ( Rear fan would have to go to the bottom position by the PSU).
    Last edited by Gravewyrm; 2015-12-22 at 12:07 AM.

I'm leery of front mounting, due to the heat being pulled into the case. this raises the ambient within the case, making the MoBo run hotter, and the vicious cycle begins. :/

Edit: If I had a diff MoBo, I could possibly make it work top mounted. The rad hits the 12v 8pin on my MH6. If I found a comparable Asus board, with a diff location of the 12v connection, I could possibly pull it off .. ( Rear fan would have to go to the bottom position by the PSU).
    The difference is a few degrees internal temperature at most. The air exhausted from a radiator at 60°C is not 60°C.

The z97 chipset is amazing with power delivery. Got this tinkering today with an Asus z97 Pro Gamer board. Pretty much this chips sweet spot. 4.8 took a solid 1.3v to reach, putting me in a tie for first. 4.9? No go even with 1.350v. If this survives the 8hr burn, ill keep it as my 24/7 OC. *the one in my sig is old now, will remove once this setup shakes out.*
    Last edited by Gravewyrm; 2016-01-01 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Whoops, wrong sized link!

The z97 chipset is amazing with power delivery. Got this tinkering today with an Asus z97 Pro Gamer board. Pretty much this chips sweet spot. 4.8 took a solid 1.3v to reach, putting me in a tie for first. 4.9? No go even with 1.350v. If this survives the 8hr burn, ill keep it as my 24/7 OC. *the one in my sig is old now, will remove once this setup shakes out.*
    Not bad. The voltage makes me uncomfortable though. I got my 6700K running at 4,8ghz with a voltage of 1.376, whereas my 3770K runs at 4,8ghz with merely 1.24v.

Im a bit new to overclocking but currently i have my 6700k at 4.4 ghz at whatever the default power settings are. 1.28 i believe. Any suggestions on how to safely push it further?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Im a bit new to overclocking but currently i have my 6700k at 4.4 ghz at whatever the default power settings are. 1.28 i believe. Any suggestions on how to safely push it further?
    There's no simple answer. Many things factor in; phase control, % current capability, thermal control, load line calibration, cpu voltage, memory voltage, etc.

Try increasing your cpu ratio with 100mhz and stress test for half an hour. Continue doing so with increments of 100mhz until the stress test fails. When it does, start increasing your cpu voltage with 0.005 + offset values. If you achieve stability on the last failed OC by increasing the voltage, increase the mhz by another 100. Keep doing this until you hit your sweet spot temperature-wise. When you have, do another stress test, this time let it run the whole night (~7 hours).

Not to stray too far from the topic of over clocking, but... I managed to get ahold of a few 320 series SSD's. I decided to raid 4 of them. These are SATA II drives, not the happy "Cherryville" SATA III ones. My main drive is a Kingston Fury M.2 240gig drive, in PCI-E mode. I was a little shocked at this outcome....

Last edited by Gravewyrm; 2016-01-10 at 05:13 AM.

let it run for 8 hours first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to stray too far from the topic of over clocking, but... I managed to get ahold of a few 320 series SSD's. I decided to raid 4 of them. These are SATA II drives, not the happy "Cherryville" SATA III ones. My main drive is a Kingston Fury M.2 240gig drive, in PCI-E mode. I was a little shocked at this outcome....

This would belong in the Post Your Gaming Setup megathread.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://imgur.com/4gKIMYR

Presently testing for 4.3GHz.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: 4.3GHz crashed out around 35 minutes into the test. Windows sat on a 65% complete data collection BSOD... stupid.

I'm now just going to run my old 4.2GHz overclock, at 1.3v.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Skylark needs a little more voltage but it doesn't run that much hotter because of that

10+ Year Old Account
    Bump for HasLakes and AMDope!

Let's get some new additions, damn it!
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Bump for HasLakes and AMDope!