Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Term "overpowered" overused

TL;DR at bottom
    Today, I got bored and decided to duel random people outside. I then came across some energetic kid we'll just call idiot that may or may not have bought his account, but has 2200 gear/weapons. He challenged me to a duel on my mage and I proceded roll him as frost. He then starts complaining about how frost mages are OP but I couldn't exactly say they were weak or anything (mind you my gear is pretty trash compared to his, so I realized he was just plain bad at this point). So I log onto my warrior and derp it up by opening with retal/storm and he decides it's cool to mash all of his damage into me while I have retal and storm rolling... After the duel, I get called an "OP FOTM bitch" for playing a warrior. This trend goes on with my rogue, mm hunter, shadow priest, boomkin, and ele shammy... After loling irl at him calling basically every class (besides lock and pally) OP, I get on my DK and duel him. Both of us are frost and both of us have almost identical specs, but I don't pvp anymore so I have T1 weps. I beat him with about 40% life left with a ghoul still waiting to be sacced and he calls me terrible for blowing strang as an opener...

TL;DR
    I stomp a full T2 DK that might have bought the account with 8 different characters and he called each and every one OP (despite either hard countering them and/or outgearing them) besides my DK which he then called me a bad for opening on him with strang.

Anyone else seeing this trend of people calling everything OP even though they're just bad and it's not a class issue?
    New and shiny compppppp!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I find it funny he called you bad, when he lost. What does that make him?

And yes, it's a trend for bads to call classes over-powered simply because they don't know proper strategies versus them. :P

Interesting story, I've had it happen to me a long time ago, the guy is likely trolling you because he knows he sucks and has nothing better to do, that's how I explained it, I mean admitt it after he called you bad on your dk, you stood there going man if I am bad what the hell is he for atleast a minute- making the troll successfull, also you can also tell that he successfully made an impression on you, by the fact that you made a thread about it.
    TL;DR he's probably trolling you and it does happen, whatever people can't counter is OP- you will learn in time.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Little hard to believe you have 8 PVPing chars you play well enough so that you could all beat a 2.2k player at on all of them. I believe you, don't worry, but 8 characters seems like an exaggeration.

Anyway, if he thinks everything is OP then obviously there is no such thing as "OP." It is overused without proper context.

LOL. I let my nephew and niece play on my acct sometimes. They ended up blowing all my gold last time I checked. I can imagine them doing those things in front of org. Though I dont have a DK, so that wouldnt have been them.

The term OP really is way too often used. Even among serious players. This game doesn't really get played long enough until changes come in. Patches and expansions are way too frequent and meta game on balance shifts quite a bit if you let gameplay simmer with longer playtesting and as new tricks and exploits get innovated. You can see this happening with lot of old competitive games, I'd imagine it would be no different for wow as well, but we'd never know because wow constantly changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Little hard to believe you have 8 PVPing chars you play well enough so that you could all beat a 2.2k player at on all of them. I believe you, don't worry, but 8 characters seems like an exaggeration.

Anyway, if he thinks everything is OP then obviously there is no such thing as "OP." It is overused without proper context.
    OP DID say maybe the kid bought the account.
    Or it could be a sibling or something
    Gear =/= skill. I see plenty of well geared scrubs, in both pve and pvp
    Do you like daggers?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcasmo View Post
    OP DID say maybe the kid bought the account.
    Or it could be a sibling or something
    Gear =/= skill. I see plenty of well geared scrubs, in both pve and pvp
    To add, he could have bought the rating as well. That's not uncommon at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Yotei View Post
    I find it funny he called you bad, when he lost. What does that make him?

And yes, it's a trend for bads to call classes over-powered simply because they don't know proper strategies versus them. :P
    These are the people who run to post on the boards.. ZOMG <Insert Class> just beat me.... THEY MUST BE OP!!! nerf em NOW!!!.......... /rage quit.

The best advise I have been giving to people in game/guild lately is "If your friends take you aside and say look man you need to change this and that and the other to get better/be better. Take that to heart and think about it. If someone in a random instance or bg starts the your horrible crap.... just ignore it." I think I should macro that something like Think about the positive criticisms you get and forget the negatives.

is term Op overused? yes! are some classes OP? also yes. sometimes its matter of FOTM sometimes it's really OP class (frost mages kind of gave problems to other classes for ages, no matter what changes were made). but term OP is usually used by those who are bad and/or don't know how to play PvP. there was a time when i was killing paladins on my warrior without problems in one patch, next patch (or so) i god nuked by a ret who didn't had to approach me. was ret OP? nope. was ret pain in the ass for other melee classes at that time? yes.
    so basically, imo, people tend to use OP term always when its more of FOTM issue (damned frost mages excluded ).
    and this is WoW after all. Tons of people who do nothing else but complain, ingame and irl.

I see your title and I guess: you must be Mage. And I am right!

From your logic, I think the term "overuse" has been overused.

I tried almost the same thing the other day, but with a different approach.
    I saw this hunter beating a warrior almost flawless. Then I gave him a few pointers, like use detterance on his charge (keep max range, get close enough for him to charge and cast detterance) gave him some good burst ideas and such, then he told me I was a noob, because that tactic sucked and what-not. We then decided to duel, i was on my Affliction Warlock, and I killed him with 100% hp and all survival CDs up.

I kept being friendly and gave him a good hint or two, to force me go defense, and use feign death more. He bitched and I told him to ask his GM, who the realms best dueling Hunter was, and he would name me. Then he started trashtalking me, and logged off with a "l2p nub".

sigh..
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2011-11-12 at 02:33 PM.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yotei View Post
    To add, he could have bought the rating as well. That's not uncommon at all.
    would just go to show how much ability it takes to play a DK

lolololol chains of skill lolololol skillgrip lolololol i lololololol skilling blast lolololol think you get the point trolololololol

i'm just mad because i can't play the game without a healer.

but bads are always gonna be bad. i killed another rogue in nothing but blue daggers i bought off the auction house this one time. it was comical and sad at the same time.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    would just go to show how much ability it takes to play a DK

lolololol chains of skill lolololol skillgrip lolololol i lololololol skilling blast lolololol think you get the point trolololololol

i'm just mad because i can't play the game without a healer.
    Um.. most of the time people buy rating, the people selling the rating actually have another person play the guy's account who is buying rating so it's more time efficient, less losses, and everything else.

I was saying he bought it, not that DKs are over-powered or you don't need any skill to play one. I know you might be a bit biased towards them, but you're the perfect example of this thread (screaming OP about a class).. not to be mean. :x I mean, I guess you don't need any skill to play any class, you just won't be very good at it. :P
    Last edited by Yotei; 2011-11-12 at 07:30 PM.

Obviously carried to 2.2k

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcsecant View Post
    Obviously carried to 2.2k
    Not necessarily, I think playing frost DK in 4.1 is enough for any idiot to reach 2.2k as TSG.

You could call that word overpowered.

Deleted
    It beats me - OMG WTF OP SHIT CLASS NEEDS NURF BLIZZ SRLZY NO FUN!

I beat it - Balanced, gj blizz!

Deleted
    lol poor guy...

I used to think hunters were OP at lower lvls , then I rolled a prot pally and found they were OP, my next alt the rouge was also OP... this scenario kept on each time I made a new alt I've now come to the conclusion that I am OP not the class I play...

10+ Year Old Account
    Overpowered should only be used when it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to counter in a certain scenario. e.g. rogues in low level Bg's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by broflmao View Post
    Overpowered should only be used when it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to counter in a certain scenario. e.g. rogues in low level Bg's.
    Unless of course you play a Hunter or Priest in said scenario in wich case killing 2 rogues by yourself is not only possible but even easy...