H rag 25 as disc

Recently switched from a 10 man to 25 man guild on heroic rag. Before, in the 10 man guild I was using a haste/mastery setup as I was effectively a raid healer too. My question to all the other disc priests that are on H rag or have killed H rag, what stat setup did you use and how were you specced? Note: I will not spec out of inspiration as our sham healer is on the left side healing the melee group while I am on the right side healing the ranged and tanks group.

I don't have a kill yet, so I'm figuring out the same things you are. Also, my guild hasn't decided yet whether they'll want me in disc or holy. Disc has some obvious benefits for phase 2, but I digress.

Either way, since this is likely to be around a 14 minute fight when you're first getting near a kill, it seems like effic stats outweigh haste by quite a lot. The only parts of the fight that you could wish for some haste would be (1) seed explosions in p2, (2) final moments of p4 when the fire gets out of hand and you're spamming to keep up.

Mana seems like the biggest concern of all, and I raidheal. I'd go on a limb and say mst stacked SoS is probably the best choice for Disc here, but I really believe AA can be pretty amazing for effic so I've been trying to make a MST/HST split AA build work (granted I only get to AA during p4). If your PoH/Aegis are low (you're designated as the main tank healer?) a crit/hst build might be ok, but for raidheals mst will give you extra effic where hst only grants burst.

Although I still believe holy wins for this particular encounter, and I'll be stacking MST>HST on that preset. Even though I'm so outspoken against MST for holy.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-11-11 at 02:22 AM.

Zaka, yes I am mostly helping our paly tank heal with bubbling before traps get popped. it just seems like mana is a huuuuuuuge issue with all the extra bubbles going out to the point where i'm HoH'ing alongside manatide during our first stack in P2. tonight i went in as a MST stacked priest without reforging spirit off until i get comfortable with the fight. i wound up speccing into desperate prayer to have an extra oh shit button while taking one point out of veiled shadows. if i werent assigned to help the paly tank heal, i would "consider" going holy for that except for the fact we have an rsham, rdruid, and a paly along side me.

Deleted
    If dps allows, you could always get another healer in. I have always been holy on Rag, COH is amazing on this fight. Though I can see the allure of barrier for seed phases and the extra healing on the tanks in P4.

ill bring up the idea of me going holy for that fight to my officers/healing team and see what they think. not entirely it would work out since we've been using a dk tank and either a prot paly or warrior lately. with me helping tank healing on that fight, not sure holy would be a great idea though.

In the kills that I havent sat for other healers to get their Firelord titles, I have been Disc. That said, my primary role in these fighs has been Tank Healing-- which has lended itself well to being Disc for most of the encounters in T12. However, I did do a good deal of POHing after seed explosions and/or during "recover" periods when getting to a Breadth. (Superheated damage). Additionally, being disc added a PWB into rotation for triggering the extra trap/seed explosions is quite helpful. (Depending on other raid CDs available) (and can be helpful if you have to stand out of a breadth waiting for the new one to be clear of Dreadflame)

Atonement on this fight is pretty rough.... P4 healing, is really the only phase (minus sons/scions) that you can get anyone healed with a Smite. While AA would be nice to have running for the periods of high damage, it does make weaving those smites in a bit more punitive than other bosses.

I agree with what has been said, provided the tank healing is covered by either HPallies or a RShaman, Holy provides a bit more flexibility than Disc. (Healing mobility, POH/COH coverage, lightwell, etc).Youve only said "helping tank healing"; Holy rolling renews, and even the occassional GHeal spam still is helping. Figure out what your raid needs... if you're dying to people needing heals when you, as disc, cant provide them due to mobility or raw output. (not DA)... then perhaps Holy would do better. If you are dying to the tank falling over, or something a Barrier could mitigate--then Disc perhaps is a better choice. HOWEVER, if your raid is dying to mechanics that neither Holy nor Disc could fix (read: world in flames)... that is the first thing your raid needs to fix, not what spec you are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by diablo85 View Post
    ill bring up the idea of me going holy for that fight to my officers/healing team and see what they think. not entirely it would work out since we've been using a dk tank and either a prot paly or warrior lately. with me helping tank healing on that fight, not sure holy would be a great idea though.
    That's understandable. Personally I would look at replacing the DK though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started my rag attempts as holy but then switched to Disc and have been Disc for every kill.

We heal with 2 holy pallies, 1 resto druid, and a disc. With 2 pallies, I don't have to worry about tanks so much. I keep them shielded, maybe a renew and a penance if they dip hard but other than that my main priority is the melee on the left side.

I agree with Zaka when he says a mastery/SoS would be best if you're mainly on tanks. Since I heal the raid mostly I have done 50/50 mastery/haste and I have done everything reforged to haste and they both work equally well.

I do smite on this fight, and I smite a lot. However, I do not smite to heal people - I smite to build evangelism (plus my 2-4mil dmg on Rag helps a tiny bit) and I use archangel to heal after traps are popped, seeds explode, frost breadth switches, etc. So it'll just be an extra bonus when smite does actually heal people on bosses this large after patch =P

Barrier isn't as huge on this fight as some might think. The only time I barrier consistently is when we're popping the trap inbetween seeds and it isn't even necessary - just saves us some mana. Other than that, I save it and use it if it's needed but usually it isn't.

I don't spam shields, you will go oom if you try. Fiend early and keep it on cd. You also get 2 hymn of hopes during this fight. Keep rapture on cd. In phase 1 the only guaranteed target I know I can cast shield on to get a rapture proc is the tank. You can shield people before traps go off but you shield 1 person, they could resist - you shield too many, you wasted more mana throwing shields than you actually gained from rapture and you'll have to poh anyway so you were just wasting mana. Since mana is so tight on this fight and everyone is spread out, it's worth spending the time to arrange groups so that your poh will hit as many as possible.

Some if this may help, some of it may not but if even 1 thing I said is helpful then I'm happy =) Goodluck my fellow H.Rag disc priest!

thanks mikayo. i bookmarked this thread for reference and i'll keep all of it in mind and hopefully score a kill on him soon.

also...still trying to figure out if i should take one point out of empowered healing...or leave it with just 1 point in veiled shadows to pick up desperate prayer. opinions?
    Last edited by diablo85; 2011-11-12 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have 2/3 in empowered healing.
    H.Rag is the only fight where I actually need and use my fiend everytime it's up so the 2/2 veiled shadows is a must.
    I also use desperate prayer ALOT during this fight. If you are willing to train yourself to use DP, then pick it up because it is amazing and well worth the 1 pt empowered healing loss. However, if you aren't going to use it that much and/or aren't willing to get used to using it then don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikayo View Post
    H.Rag is the only fight where I actually need and use my fiend everytime it's up so the 2/2 veiled shadows is a must.
    Dunno if it's just me or not, but I 4-heal 25man and mana is such a non-issue that I find myself using Necromantic Focus. (and even then, mana is still a joke, I often get to p3 before using my first shadowfiend)
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".