Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    To me this breaks the immersion of your character in the world. When you go through the PvE side of things, it makes sense that your get more skills, gear etc as you level. Every time you log in, and everything you do is a continuation of this slow and steady progress. You character is and has exactly what you earn through the choices you make in the world.

When you can instead create a character and instantly have every ability, the best gear etc. and travel straight to endgame pvp, it cheapens the value of the world you play in, it makes it irrelevant. It no longer feels like "your character" that you traveled with through many adventures, but rather just some generic toon created by the computer that you happen to play.

This also seems bad for the PvP gameplay itself, as you will have players running around who have zero experience playing their profession.
    If you want to give players all the same gear to make it a level playing field then OK, but IMO make them wait until level 80 to get that. Have them go through the world, learn how to play their profession, develop a connection with their character, with the reward of a great PvP experience waiting for them at the end.
    Why should i be forced to progress just by doing PvE, im a PvP player i want to progress doing what i am, not what others want me to be

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I'll be going from 1-80 entirely in W v W v W. That game mode, and the ability to get XP and loot that way, is the only reason I'm gonna buy GW2.
    Amen Brother, Amen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    GW2 doesn't have PvP only characters, also, WvWvW could have an impact on your PvE experience, as you can obtain loot and levels from WvWvW.
    WvWvW never has to have an impact on your PvE experience if you never enter it. And even if you do, it's considered PvP content.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Xitorot View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and throw in my two cents here.

All of the PvP announced so far will take place in instanced zones, similar to the battleground and arenas system currently found in World of Warcraft.
    There is absolutely no World PvP planned, only Server vs Server which again- takes place on an entirely instanced zone.
    As all Guild Wars 2 PvP maps are instanced, it is easy to bar access to PvE areas on PvP-only characters, thereby protecting your character immersion and progression.
    If this still doesn't make sense, let me explain:

In the original Guild Wars, the PvP-only characters allowed you full access to all the PvP zones and barred you from participating in any PvE content.
    The PvP maps were given outposts which were strategically placed in a different game world map called The Battle Isles.
    The separation from PvE for PvP only characters was an easy transition, as all the required NPCs and available PvP hubs were made available on the "main city" of this map.
    The Battle Isles are making a comeback in GW2.
    There is no way that a PvP character will have impact on your PvE experience in this game.
    There is an entire continent of world pvp in GW2. It's basically a giant Wintergrasp. You need to do more research.

Deleted
    what is this thing you are all talking about?

instant leveling for pvp??? is this a ptr-only thing?

I'm a bit lost in this matter

Quote Originally Posted by tigrezno View Post

Have you played Guild Wars before? It's just a very similar mechanic.

10+ Year Old Account

When you make a new character you have a couple of choices

You can:

A. Level through the game in PvE like normal

B. Go straight to max level competitive pvp with your character and automatically gain all skills abilities and armor. (However they are taken away when you return to pve content)

C. Go straight to casual pvp where your level and gear from pve stay in tact and the battles are huge and made to be fun, not competitive. You can level up entirely in this mode.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Have you played Guild Wars before? It's just a very similar mechanic.
    No, I mean, is blizzard adding this option to the game or what?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the Guild Wars 2 forum.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the Guild Wars 2 forum, not WoW

You are in the wrong forum.

Deleted
    LOL epic fail, i'm going to hide some days under my bed.

See you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    there are people who only play to pvp. they should be allowed to follow that style of gameplay as pure pve players are allowed to follow their preferred style. why must pvp players be forced to play pve if it is not what they want? that seems like nonsense.

besides, you personally can follow a pve/pvp path and develop your character as you wish.
    +1 to you, quality post. Definitely agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    WvWvW never has to have an impact on your PvE experience if you never enter it. And even if you do, it's considered PvP content.
    Actually WvWvW will have an impact on your PVE experience, this is only depending on you win or lose, they haven't said exactly WHAT will happen, just that something will, it may be as minor as everyone on your server has vendor prices 10% cheaper, or 10% more expensive depending on whether you win or lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

as far as WvWvW goes it shouldn't break immersion you go in as your character with your skills and gear. Just get bumped up in level and base stats.

The whole catch of this game is you can do pretty much whatever you want without having silly restrictions. So PvP at lvl 1 makes perfect sense. Those people will miss quite a bit of the game if they do straight PvP but whatevs

If you feel there is more immersion in levelling to max level before PVPing you are free to do that. For people who just want to PVP and have nothing to do with PVE, they have that option also though. I fail to see how giving that option to those people is in any way taking away from your option to be more immersed and level first.

I should note that you're not required to be level 1 to join PVP.

If you feel the experience is needed, simply don't que until you're max level.

Plus, this is Guild Wars. One of the most successful features of it was because of the PVP. If you don't like the idea, the game isn't for you.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/PvP-only_character

this decision is not new and it was perfectly fine in GW1

in fact pvp only characters were a wonderful addition if you wanted to pvp
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/PvP-only_character

this decision is not new and it was perfectly fine in GW1

in fact pvp only characters were a wonderful addition if you wanted to pvp
    They no longer need to do that now though because of level scaling, but yeah, it was great in guild wars 1 to try out builds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by durza View Post
    fuck 4gate vs 4gate
    i like you.
    Personally I enjoy pvp, but I'm willing to bet pvp leveling wont be nearly as fast as questing. I'm willing to bet im not the only pvper who feels this way
    Quote Originally Posted by Editos View Post
    you can't debate with a game that sends you dragons via mail