Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    618
    I wouldn't mind if MMO-Champ became actually "mmo" champ and not "wow" champ. So far only the MMO report weekly goes towards that since every other news on the news page is about WoW.
    Would be fun if they had news lookers for more big MMOs. With the option to filter games you have no intrest in. Ah, wishful thinking.

    Also, SKyrim and Skyward Sword are great distractions from the "I want GW2 NAOW!" annoyance.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    I wouldn't mind if MMO-Champ became actually "mmo" champ and not "wow" champ. So far only the MMO report weekly goes towards that since every other news on the news page is about WoW.
    Would be fun if they had news lookers for more big MMOs. With the option to filter games you have no intrest in. Ah, wishful thinking.

    Also, SKyrim and Skyward Sword are great distractions from the "I want GW2 NAOW!" annoyance.
    Hail Sithis. I don't really care if Mmochamp acknowledges GW2 because guildwarsguru has always been the go-to site for either game and it will definitely be the most popular.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    I think it's a good thing to normalize all PvP. The way it works in WoW makes zero sense. With all the talk about "skill" in PvP it doesn't make sense to put such an emphasis on gear and resilience. By making everyone equal in gear and available skills actual player skill will really have chance to shine.

    People should look at Guild Wars 2 PvP like they look at online FPS's.
    That's exactly the problem for me here. If I would want to play a FPS, I simply go and play BF3 or COD. But for me, the PvP in a MMO is so much more then just jump in and start killing, it also have the MMO part of it :P

    I love to tweak my character into my fitting by choosing skills, adjust my gear to take/deal more damage etc. In WoW I never liked the fact of resilience. What I want is something like WoW/SWTOR but leave the resilience out of it. Let people that do Raids or only PvP be able to use their gear for both, as in making no difference of the gear other then maybe endgame PvP gear focus slightly different in stats compared to endgame Raid gear.

    Start with everything as a lvl 1 char just gonna make me lack the motivation for PvP on a steady basis. And this comes from a MMO veteran that played everything from Ultima Online, Asheron's Call up to WoW and today SWTOR. I did reach High Warlord in vanilla WoW, I did struggle for high rating in Arenas. In the FPS world I once won the European Cup in Battlefield 2, so I am a lover of the two worlds. But I still want a MMO to be.... a MMO, not a FPS with shiny magical graphical effects. Then I just go back to BF3 or keep PvPing in SWTOR or WoW, because they DO have PvP progress with gear.

    No I think to many players are getting more and more lazy, just want to play 2 hours and then log out. That's not a MMO for me, even levling goes to fast today. I did hit lvl 50 in SWTOR in 2 weeks, I rather would have seen 2 months! And I have a fulltime work and living together with a lovely woman that do no share the same interest into gaming like me I mind you :P

    I guess I am just starting to become old and grumpy, since I see so many loving this setup that is happening to MMO's today, I just want my oldschool style of MMORPG's

  4. #84
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomania View Post
    Start with everything as a lvl 1 char just gonna make me lack the motivation for PvP on a steady basis.
    You won't, unless you do Arenas. Gear in Arenas (resilience and even gear disparity) is what completely fucks them up. Arenas are about skill, not how long you've been PvPing. As for WvWvW, you don't get bumped up to level 80 and you don't get level 80 gear right off the bat, you earn it from doing WvWvW stuff (killing players and other stuffs).

    As for why it feels like an FPS, which is a comparison I don't like to make, is because PvP is Hot-joinable and not dictated by how long you farmed for the gear so you can completely wreck newer players collective shits.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  5. #85
    I really like Arena's philosophy, that you don't need to level a character to 80 first, before trying it in serious pvp, because that's (along with the gearing issue) the one big thing, that I hate about wow: Grind through 85 levels (it gets old after a while and it won't be any different in GW2 after you have leveled your x.th character) and never be able to catch up with gear, because of weekly caps.
    Also this will be good for balance issues, since they will be discovered quickly, because everyone has access to any class after a crucial patch or something.

    However, I wonder: Is it going to be possible to join structured pvp with my leveled up pve toon? Or would I have to create another character, who is exactly the same, but flagged as "pvp". In a game without enough free character slots for every class (I heard, it was going to be 5) it's something I got curious about.

  6. #86
    Herald of the Titans Ynna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    However, I wonder: Is it going to be possible to join structured pvp with my leveled up pve toon?
    Yes, yes you can.
    Retired Holy Priest
    As a rule, I try to act on the internet as I would in real life. If I have offended you, feel free to point it out. Unless I meant to offend you, I will probably apologize.

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Arazen View Post
    I really like Arena's philosophy, that you don't need to level a character to 80 first, before trying it in serious pvp, because that's (along with the gearing issue) the one big thing, that I hate about wow: Grind through 85 levels (it gets old after a while and it won't be any different in GW2 after you have leveled your x.th character) and never be able to catch up with gear, because of weekly caps.
    Also this will be good for balance issues, since they will be discovered quickly, because everyone has access to any class after a crucial patch or something.

    However, I wonder: Is it going to be possible to join structured pvp with my leveled up pve toon? Or would I have to create another character, who is exactly the same, but flagged as "pvp". In a game without enough free character slots for every class (I heard, it was going to be 5) it's something I got curious about.
    All characters can do everything, there's no longer a pve or pvp only character. Last we heard we'd have 5 character slots at launch, but that number is still under discussion at this point.

  8. #88
    I remember playing some PvP on the PTR servers to try out different classes. Some of them were really fun but I just couldn't be arsed grinding up another character to max level and gear it up. GW2 simply takes away the grind and puts you into the action.

  9. #89
    PvP shouldn't be about levels. It should be about premades vs. premades, regardless of your PvE level.

    PvE? You get your character list.
    PvP? A fighting game-esque select screen.
    Jab piledriver with Fierce damage.

    http://hfm.wtf — Pondering Entertainment

  10. #90
    In wow I loved playing through for the very first time and explore everything. After one character though I don't really want to do it again. I think I will really enjoy the leveling in GW2, it's so nice that I can just decide to go and pvp if I want without having to be the highest level with best gear. As for the lack of skill in pvp I think the best way to learn pvp is by actually pvping. A little off topic though, if there is an open beta all I am going to do is pvp and not go through any pve stuff until the game comes out.

  11. #91
    First of all, your post is all opinion. When you talk about immersion breaking you are speaking for yourself and people like you. There are obviously a ton of people who will only play GW2 for the PvP though. These guys don't share your feelings and they will have amazing fun doing what they want to do. What someone else does should not dictate you, nor should you concern yourself with it.

    There will also be people that have possibly leveled a few chars through PVE gameplay and now they just want some fun with a new PvP character. Your point about people not knowing their char is kinda a non issue. There will always be people who are bad, or people who aren't amazing at PVP. The point is though if you are really so competitive that you can't stand those people, then you have the ability to go in with friends and also favourite servers which are good.

    The system is a great one. Much like most of Arenanets decisions on GW2 they give the players the choice they want, they let them play how they want to play, on a totally level playing field. Want PVP? You can do that after a 5 minute tutorial. Want PVE? You do that. Want WvWvW? You can do that. Want all three whenever you want at the press of a few buttons? You got it. It's wonderful and i think it's a huge plus for the game, not a negative.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 03:35 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    The game was originally created for 99% PvE and still is mainly focussed around PvE, if you don't like it play another game.
    You are 100% wrong. Please don't spread misinformation like that. Post again when you know what you're talking about

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 03:40 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/PvP-only_character

    this decision is not new and it was perfectly fine in GW1

    in fact pvp only characters were a wonderful addition if you wanted to pvp
    There are no PVP only characters in GW2. You can almost instantly switch between every mode. All you have to do to do PVP in GW2 is do your tutorial.

  12. #92
    The Lightbringer Glytch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    SA, TX
    Posts
    3,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasere View Post
    There are no PVP only characters in GW2. You can almost instantly switch between every mode. All you have to do to do PVP in GW2 is do your tutorial.
    where did i say GW2 would have pvp only chars? i was showing that the concept of jumping immediately into pvp on a fresh toon isnt unheard of and even has precedence in the GW universe -_-"

    maybe you should check your tone and the posts you are quoting before you say anything
    The Original Ganksta

    Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomania View Post
    That's exactly the problem for me here. If I would want to play a FPS, I simply go and play BF3 or COD. But for me, the PvP in a MMO is so much more then just jump in and start killing, it also have the MMO part of it :P

    I love to tweak my character into my fitting by choosing skills, adjust my gear to take/deal more damage etc. In WoW I never liked the fact of resilience. What I want is something like WoW/SWTOR but leave the resilience out of it. Let people that do Raids or only PvP be able to use their gear for both, as in making no difference of the gear other then maybe endgame PvP gear focus slightly different in stats compared to endgame Raid gear.

    Start with everything as a lvl 1 char just gonna make me lack the motivation for PvP on a steady basis. And this comes from a MMO veteran that played everything from Ultima Online, Asheron's Call up to WoW and today SWTOR. I did reach High Warlord in vanilla WoW, I did struggle for high rating in Arenas. In the FPS world I once won the European Cup in Battlefield 2, so I am a lover of the two worlds. But I still want a MMO to be.... a MMO, not a FPS with shiny magical graphical effects. Then I just go back to BF3 or keep PvPing in SWTOR or WoW, because they DO have PvP progress with gear.

    No I think to many players are getting more and more lazy, just want to play 2 hours and then log out. That's not a MMO for me, even levling goes to fast today. I did hit lvl 50 in SWTOR in 2 weeks, I rather would have seen 2 months! And I have a fulltime work and living together with a lovely woman that do no share the same interest into gaming like me I mind you :P

    I guess I am just starting to become old and grumpy, since I see so many loving this setup that is happening to MMO's today, I just want my oldschool style of MMORPG's
    OK there is a alot of stuff here.. sigh.

    First of all GW2 is not and FPS and i don't know why you refer to it as similar, it's not.

    In GW2 you CAN 1.Tweak your character by choosing skills, traits, weapons. 2. Adjust your stats to take more or less damage 3. Fight on a level playing field where you can jump right into it. All your concerns in the second paragraph are solved.

    So basically you play PVP for the gear progression? Congratulations, you will not like GW2. Why? Because it's clear that you, like so many others now are playing for the reward not the activity itself. Your post screams that out loud. I can't understand why you would lack motivation to do some awesome PVP. Actually i can but you won't agree with me. You certainly get rewards in GW2 PVP. You can make yourself look a ton better, and gain various other rewards which we dont know to the full extent yet.

    More sillyness in the next paragraph from you calling gamers 'lazy'. Sigh, dude, don't do that. It's a ridiculous thing to say. You are honestly saying that if someone just want to.. log in to a game they paid for and have fun for 2 hours that's.... lazy? Please say you aren't serious. Guild Wars 2 let's you do what YOU want as quickly as possible. There will be a TON of content in the massive world of Tyria. Just because GW2 takes out all the bullshit roadblocks of other traditional subs based MMO's does not make it bad, or lazy, or anything like that. It's making players happy, and that does not dumb down the game in any way shape or form.

    Of course though you are free to go and play any of the old school MMO's out there? If that's what you want i don't see why you would have a problem.

    Just thought i'd chime in because the attitude is just so wrong.

    ---------- Post added 2012-01-21 at 04:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    where did i say GW2 would have pvp only chars? i was showing that the concept of jumping immediately into pvp on a fresh toon isnt unheard of and even has precedence in the GW universe -_-"

    maybe you should check your tone and the posts you are quoting before you say anything

    *Links Wiki of PVP only character*

    Says i quote 'This (GW2's) decision is not new and was perfectly fine in GW1.' = Implying the same in both games

    Then explains more about PvP only chars?

    No i didn't read wrong. What did i need to check again?
    Last edited by Kasere; 2012-01-21 at 04:01 AM.

  14. #94
    Are you interested in balanced, skill-based, on-demand PvP? Then you're in an instance and you've already compromised immersion. Allowing people to play any profession at will, limited only by their own knowledge and skill, is exactly the right design for instanced PvP. GW2 is doing this better than anyone else.

    Are you interested in epic, massive-scale, gloriously unbalanced PvP? This is where immersion and RPG elements shine. You're connected to a much larger world space, and your actions can actually affect it. Your character's level and gear matter and will advance here. Actual roleplaying could be very worthwhile. (Can't wait to see RP leaders riding through Lion's Arch, rallying the server to battle!) GW2 is doing this better than anyone else, too.

    I don't want to completely dismiss the OP's point. I think it's a valid concern. I just think it's small potatoes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •