Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I only played Oblivion once and I'm not sure if I remember correctly. But was there only one or two attack keys available? And you had to switch spells from a list to these keys if you wanted to use different spells? Is there a similar system in Skyrim? Because I'd like it to be like in wow where I can bind multiple spells to multiple keys without switching. I may remember wrong but I didn't like the combat in Oblivion. Do I have any hope of liking Skyrim?

15+ Year Old Account
    I imagine control cant be that bad..
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbfiac View Post
    Wrong! I think..

Xbox 360 USB controllers are specifically made for Xbox 360. You will need a wireless controller and a wireless receiver for windows.
    Since 3 persons already slapped you.. il do it too!
    /slap, very wrong!
    Usb controller plug into a usb port!

Skyrim on PC suffers from the fact that the ui was set up for use on consoles. weapon and spell switching feels very clunky to me. every time you want to switch
    Something you have to pause and scroll through the menu to change it. It has caused me much frustration. I have over 80 buttons on my keyboard, why cant I use 90% of them. if 1 through 0 where assignable as quick swaps for things such as ranged/melee weapons as well and quickly and fluidly swaping spells it would be an amazing game. as it stands now I am very much enjoying the world and the story. The UI is the only thing holding it back on PC if you ask me.

here is hoping a mod gets made soon, that fixes this POS.

It's kinda crummy. Seems like a PC port of a console game. Majorly disappointing.

Mouse and keyboard's perfectly fine for me, it's pretty basic. Still need to find the "move shit around" key :P

Haven't tried using a controller yet though, maybe something for this afternoon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOTSlash View Post
    Skyrim on PC suffers from the fact that the ui was set up for use on consoles. weapon and spell switching feels very clunky to me. every time you want to switch
    Something you have to pause and scroll through the menu to change it. It has caused me much frustration. I have over 80 buttons on my keyboard, why cant I use 90% of them. if 1 through 0 where assignable as quick swaps for things such as ranged/melee weapons as well and quickly and fluidly swaping spells it would be an amazing game. as it stands now I am very much enjoying the world and the story. The UI is the only thing holding it back on PC if you ask me.

here is hoping a mod gets made soon, that fixes this POS.
    U can remap your 1-10 keys, u need to favorite your items/spells and then open it outside the menu with Q and there u can assign a hotkey to it.
    Bit clunky but it works.

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm still not convinced that the controls won't be too annoying for me - guess I'll wait a week or so and see what people are saying.

It looks like there are some bugs relating to changing the keyboard mapping, but the devs are aware of them and they will be fixed at some point: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...nt-drop-items/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

I'm still not convinced that the controls won't be too annoying for me - guess I'll wait a week or so and see what people are saying.

It looks like there are some bugs relating to changing the keyboard mapping, but the devs are aware of them and they will be fixed at some point: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...nt-drop-items/
    Even if the controls will be too annoying for you I'm quite sure someone will make a mod that fixes those problems at some point. I just wish developers wouldn't rely on modders to fix their problems, but at least they allow it.

the problem doesn't lie with controller or keyboard being better vs each other. the game was just designed to be used with a controller, even on pc, which is very silly. just like assassni's creed. very apparent from character creation when you have to individually select sliders, whereas if it were designed for mouse all sliders would be functional in an easy to use interface.

Quote Originally Posted by grug View Post
    I would rather Skyrim on PC than console, simply due to the mods. The combat in oblivion was terrible (should anyone ever want to play a melee character) with mods at least it is decent.

Sadly, i haven't had the chance to play Skyrim and test it's controls yet, but i honestly am still interested.
    I played it and it feels exactly like oblivion with a couple extra things. Was hoping the improved the combat.

what's wrong with melee combat? all my mods in oblivion were aesthetic, sooo.

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    I bought Oblivion on PC, played it for a few hours and then gave up on it because the controls sucked so much.
    reading this made my head hurt
    I mean, really, it befuddles me enough how people can play FPS using a controller, let alone a game like Oblivion.
    Skyrim's keyboard+mouse works fine for the game, only the "consolized" menus are annoying, but I give it a month until someone comes up with a decent UI mod for the PC

i dont mind the controls however some things need to be rebound to diff keys liek sprint and shout

About two hours in and the controls are fine. The equipment menu is pretty bad though.

About 5 minutes in and I can't use my mouse on MOST menu controls. I had other issues I was able to fix with tweaks to the .ini file, but this one persists. I've looked everywhere with no fixes in sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grug View Post
    The combat in oblivion was terrible (should anyone ever want to play a melee character) with mods at least it is decent.
    Wait, what is wrong with melees? i was planning to makw one, but now that you say that you got me wondering.

Was turned off to the mouse sensitivity at first, but 30min in and I was already used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's kinda crummy. Seems like a PC port of a console game. Majorly disappointing.
    Good thing for you is that there will be UI mods.

Been playing it on PC, and I can't get the mouse interaction to be "PC-Like" at all. You use the WASD as UDLR to navigate menus, mouse-click control of menus is limited and clunky compared to using WASD and the "E" key as enter. Unfortunately, it seems they preserved the "you're using a controller" menu-control scheme, and just came up with an admittedly comfortable way of emulating that Console-Controller scheme on the keys you'll have your hands on anyway. It feels like it would just work better on a controller, which is why I'm probably going to go get the PS3 version as the version I play first, and keep my gift copy of the steam version to play with mods later.

I'd suggest either getting a console version or a controller to use on your PC, it will feel more comfortable. With a few exceptions (keybinding favorites to the 1-8 keys, for example) the controls just feel a little stiff in menus, and it feels like it would feel better on a controller.

By the way, the game looks awesome on PC, haven't seen it on consoles yet. And it's fun as crap. Might be worth the effort to get an XBOX360 or PS3 controller working on your PC.

You can assign weapons, spells, and items to the number keys, unfortunately the game only tells you this from the "Help" section (which I read because I felt like I was missing out on some control options, and I was. I suggest reading the in-game Help).

As a quick tutorial (this is very easy to do), you press the favorites key ('Q" by default) and while the favorites pop-up is on-screen, select the Favorite you wish to bind and press the numerical key you wish to bind it to. It works great, although there is always a little confusion if you're switching between a DW setup and a 1h+shield setup, for example. It's still do-able, though.
    Last edited by LurkerOnly; 2011-11-11 at 03:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The controls are fine. I personally hated Oblivion on Xbox but loving it on PC. The controls are pretty much the same on wow (A/D is strafe, not turn left/right though).
    Right mouse to block, Left mouse to attack. Pretty customisable. Look around with the mouse. Pretty much like fallout (no surprise) on PC

10+ Year Old Account
    A controller can never match the precision of a mouse, why would you wanna use a controller instead?