Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I never really suffered from these but deep down I have this prejudice that any player that has a hybrid class and plays DPS is bad. So far it's been mostly proven true (in LFD that is).

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    When LFD tool finally picks me and i get in heroic ZA/ZG, first I look what classes im with. And when I see ret pally or dk tank, I assume they are either bad or pvp geared and bad (before even looking at gear).
    All other classes generally speaking are fine, some ppl dont do stellar dps or healing, but they do their job. But pvp geared dk tank is nightmare to heal (esp on big trash pack) and ret pallies either do VERY low dps or stand in fire constantly. And it is so in about 80% of cases. Even huntards (once dispised class) are doing fine...
    So, do any of you have similar thoughts about other player classes which you would better not play with?
    Also, why are ret pallies so atractive to bad players?
    I lol at people talking about raids when OP complains about Zandalari LFD... do people read nowadays?

Ill clarify bold points because ive had a bad experience with my paladin as well

1- Did you ever played actual Retribution yourself? try it then come and complain. Out of my seven 85´s is the worst spec to play on max efficiency, even worse than kitty or subt rogue (wich are my main chars). The amount of buffs and procs you need to watch is ridiculous (even with Tellmewhen and every possible helpful addons). I´m ALWAYS GCD capped and my dps needs to ramp up stacks of Seals and Holy Power, so either i risk to stand a few seconds in fire or let my dps go to the ground.

Another point is, 5 man group=no raid buffs, where anyways rets cannot compete as its been said. Rogues have the same trouble on 5 mans, by the time you stack deadly poison trash is dead, and Zandalari bosses are really target-change demanding (hence why most assa rogues ignore adds and focus boss)

2-You say bad player, i say bad geared character. What you´d prefer, bad geared tank, healer or bad geared dps in your party? when i freshly hit 85 with my pally full on 333 gear and a few BoE epics, a single blow in ZA instagibs me as a tank. Rather help out with utiliy/cc/buffs as a retribution paladin and feel the shame of being carried, than ruin the whole run with constant tank deaths.

So, when you spot a bad geared ret, better think it could be worse and check how the party performs as a whole before any complains
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play both retribution and protection on my paladin in LFD (when I do them, which is rare these days) and I'm not bad, unless you'd call 30k+ bad. I lost faith in PuGs a while ago, seems if I tank in my alysrazor set (hit/exp cap, dps trinkets and str gems), I get yelled at, despite the fact that I'm probably easier to heal than a lot of the crappy geared tanks out there.

It's all a matter of perspective. Don't pay any attention to anyone until you've seen something from them.

Deleted
    The only bad experience i have is with moonkins. I'm not prejudiced at all, moonkins are just the ones who are bad, if there actually is a bad one. But generally there are a whole load of bad players playing different classes. In pug raids the lowest guys are generally warlocks. Underperforming the class/spec you play is a well known issue and there are certain classes/roles that are often doing so, but dont be prejudiced, its always bad to be so.

Deleted
    i guess it's just me but like 95 % of every dk i get is in the wrong spec & in full pvp gear below 10k dps ... guess i'm just unlucky.
    But in the end chances are bigger to end up with a failgroup then with pro ppl. Its random after all

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread reminds me of when a guildie DK asked on /g for people to do a ZA/ZG random with him because he wanted to try out his new reforging/gemming for his tank set. One of our mainraiders (ret) and me (newly dinged disc priest alt wearing crafted pvp set + a couple of epics) signed up. We zoned into ZG and one of the randoms say "DK tank and pvp gear heals @.@" or something like that, then left the group. Oh well, we queued up to get a replacement and blasted through the instance, the ret doing ~40k dps and me smiting since heals were barely needed. That's why I generally don't judge people based on their class. :>

The problem with Ret is that it's way too proc-reliant, and if RNG spits on you you'll do shit DPS because you literally have nothing good worth using. When I used to play my Pally (Prot/Ret) I would have times where I got like six procs in a row, and some where I had nothing. That said though, I think a lot of the bad Rets are still in the Wrath mentality where you could just hit random buttons and do amazing DPS, and now it went from being very simplistic to being almost entirely reliant on luck.

DKs are bad because they're mainly the same way as Ret was - pretty much you can hit one or two things and things die. I know when I was leveling my DK (Unholy/Frost) as Unholy I'd just spam Scourge Strike and Death Coil, and remember to put up diseases, and once in a while turn my ghoul into a big monster, while on Frost it's essentially HB spam (this is while leveling) and things just die.

When I tank, what I hate tends to be Arc Mages and Boomkins, because chances are they'll be the kind to zerg ahead, target things I'm not tanking, and (Moonkins especially) jump up and down repeatedly while saying "Gogogogo" - like seriously every time I've had an ADHD moron who demands the 8-minute Azjol'nerub special in a run (and in ZA especially) it's a Moonkin.

Quote Originally Posted by Feio View Post
    The only bad experience i have is with moonkins. I'm not prejudiced at all, moonkins are just the ones who are bad, if there actually is a bad one. But generally there are a whole load of bad players playing different classes. In pug raids the lowest guys are generally warlocks. Underperforming the class/spec you play is a well known issue and there are certain classes/roles that are often doing so, but dont be prejudiced, its always bad to be so.
    As a Resto/Balance Druid, I have to agree. 99% of the time, when I get a random Balance Druid in a dungeon, they're beyond awful. Now, I will say maximizing DPS as Balance is difficult on most fights, but doing decently is damn easy. When I'm healing and I see a Boomkin popping Hurricane on the trash, it makes me want to cry.

Deleted
    People who discriminate at LFD because of some class are annoying

If someone declines me from raid because of my spec, I just think that I didn't only lose a raid, but they also lost a raider. Therefore it is balanced harm.
    Ret paladin has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sigh at them and wish for something better when I see a Ret Pally or Resto Shaman, especially when they're just starting to get into heroics.

9/10 times I see a DK of any spec I end up wishing I could stab people though the internet, so I've come to despise them on sight. I don't know what it is, they weren't even this bad in WotLK, but in Cata they're all atrocious...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
    9/10 times I see a DK of any spec I end up wishing I could stab people though the internet, so I've come to despise them on sight. I don't know what it is, they weren't even this bad in WotLK, but in Cata they're all atrocious...
    No, they're not all atrocious, you're just percieving them as that. You remember the bad ones, not the good ones. They were arguably much worse in wotlk, as they were new and fancy. Now they're just a class, same as any other.

I know that, as a resto druid, I cringe AND I know the other folks cringe when I pop into certain heroic 5-mans. There are many fights where Resto Druids excel, but any time there is a fight that requires you to top off massive AoE damage multiple times per fight becomes a nightmare. We are NOT spike healers. There are ways to mitigate it IF people know what they are doing and how to work with a resto, but most people don't care enough.

Deleted
    I didn't feel like tanking one time and queued as DPS. I got in with a Firelord DK tank. The healer eventually used his offspec to dps.

For all classes I just look at the trinkets. It says a LOT about how well that person knows his class.

Why would you even bother to inspect the people you get into dungeon finder with. They could be naked for all i care, the dungeon is going to get completed either way, i might have agreed with vetting group members if they had kept the original Cataclysm heroic difficulty levels but sadly we're at the point where i'll just let people sit on my shoulders and carry them through.

I've seen all classes doing bad dps and each of the tanks wildly pulling; so really no class has stood out to me, but when i see a boomkin in solar eclipse and multiple starfires following...it hurts a bit inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    When LFD tool finally picks me and i get in heroic ZA/ZG, first I look what classes im with. And when I see ret pally or dk tank, I assume they are either bad or pvp geared and bad (before even looking at gear).
    All other classes generally speaking are fine, some ppl dont do stellar dps or healing, but they do their job. But pvp geared dk tank is nightmare to heal (esp on big trash pack) and ret pallies either do VERY low dps or stand in fire constantly. And it is so in about 80% of cases. Even huntards (once dispised class) are doing fine...
    So, do any of you have similar thoughts about other player classes which you would better not play with?
    Also, why are ret pallies so atractive to bad players?
    Don't expect more than minimal dps from rets on trash. Except on big aoe packs if they're decent. On bosses they should do quite well though. DK tanks take a bit of finesse to play properly.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    A lot of the players though are bad with DKs because you don't get the learning time with them, and also at lower levels they are stonkingly powerful, with only a couple of abilities needed. Also, with the other classes, you get 55 extra levels with minimal abilities to try them out. As a DK, you get given loads, and not everyone will touch many of them, relying on just a couple of buttons, thereby never even thinking about rotations etc (eg I can spam HS x2 PS x2, mob is dead, why bother using anything else?).
    Its just a thought, and Ret Paladins are so random at the monment, I have only seen a few of players able to perform with it, the remainder are usually garbage sadly :S
    I don't get this. You have to have at least one char to 55 before you can make a DK on any server. That means you will have to have some sort of knowledge for the game to even create a DK unless they have changed this restriction ?

I played a DK tank and have done so for the majority of Wrath and all of Cata. I've never had any person talked bad to me about my gear, my dps or the way I play so I must be doing something right. I might not qualify as a noob of any class since I have a 85 of all classes exept pala and warlock with are still sitting at 80 but I still see other classes that are somehow a lot worse than a pala or DK, like hunters and a lot of ragnaros HC geared people that pull the entire instance because they fell overpowered for the instance and apparently believe they have infinite HP and doesn't need a healer.

So just because alot of DKs might be bad or any other class for that matter I'm not ready to just leave an instance just because of one jerk out of 5 is ruining it for the others. That's what we have the kick funktion for.
    Last edited by Gandilf; 2011-11-14 at 02:42 PM.

Deleted
    I tank and heal many LFD. Can't really say that there's a certain class that sucks more than the others. Though it hurts to have a bad tank, whereas a bad dps can be carried and as a tank I can adjust my playstile if the healer sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Assassination has a stupidly high ramp-up time, such that in fights lasting only a minute or two (i.e. anything you'll see in a 5 man), their DPS doesn't shine.
    In raids, however - where encounters aren't over in the duration of a cooldown - their DPS builds up rather impressively.
    That's not entirely true. Thanks to Overkill we do well on short trash packs. You just have to be careful to not switch targets to often. Just pick your own and ToT it to the tank. And out fan of knives burst-aoe is nice too, especially on large groups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with the OP, DKs and ret pallies seem to usually be bad. Especially when they are blood elves.

At least 9/10 Feral druids have positively no clue how to play the spec, and are only playing as that because that's what they leveled as. I saw one doing 2.5k the other day. The skill gap between terrible and great Ferals is still the highest skill gap in this game, even after they nerfed the Feral playstyle in 4.0.

Female blood elf hunters have a poor rep too, but I think that's more due to stereotypes than actual performance.