Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Alienware 14x for $1399 worth it?

Would you get it? Why or why not? What alternatives would you offer if you were looking for a new gaming laptop, and why?

Thinking about getting this for a new gaming laptop, don't know much about comps, I've just heard Alienware is a great brand name if you're looking for gaming units, and I'm kind of a brand name whore. But I also do like how they look, which is important. Probably would play WoW, SC2, LoL... Would like to run them on the best settings possible without going into ridiculous prices. $1399 would be near the top range of my budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alienware:
    Pros: quality, performance, style, instant brand recognition.
    Cons: overpriced to hell.

Deleted
    1400$ is a ridiculous price for a laptop, but it can run those games without any problems, nonetheless.

They are owned my Dell and having said that NO I would buy nothing from them. Toshiba will do you better IMO

I have 1 and ill tell you right now... No.. not worth it period.. It runs wow in capital cities on good AT BEST!, raiding youll need to set it to low. and if ur on illidan like i am Org has to be set to poor just to get more then 10 FPS.

Deleted
    If you got the money you will spend and can't come up with anything useful to buy with the money you would save if you buy a cheaper gaming laptop, then go for it.

Alienware is pretty cool.

Deleted
    No,find alternatives like those from Asus,Toshiba

Avoid Dell and Acer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buryit View Post
    They are owned my Dell and having said that NO I would buy nothing from them. Toshiba will do you better IMO
    Dell did not create Alienware, they bought them out. And they run Alienware as a separate entity to prevent cross-market products. Few associate dell and alienware together.
    Last edited by Linaver; 2011-11-11 at 05:20 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    Alienware:
    Pros: style, instant brand recognition.
    Cons: quality, performance, overpriced to hell.
    I fixed this for you.

Ever since they were bought by Dell, the quality of the manufacturing has gone down, and they don't get the best parts anymore.

My friend had a m17x Alienware laptop for 6 months before it mysteriously stopped working for her and it had an i7 in it and everything, it could only manage 10fps in WoW at LOW settings in zones like Mt. Hyjal where there aren't that many people... that's not performance.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    1400$ is a ridiculous price for a laptop, but it can run those games without any problems, nonetheless.
    Mac has a bone to pick with you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I fixed this for you.

Ever since they were bought by Dell, the quality of the manufacturing has gone down, and they don't get the best parts anymore.

My friend had a m17x Alienware laptop for 6 months before it mysteriously stopped working for her and it had an i7 in it and everything, it could only manage 10fps in WoW at LOW settings in zones like Mt. Hyjal where there aren't that many people... that's not performance.
    a good fix indeed

Dell did not create Alienware, they bought them out. And they run Alienware as a separate entity to prevent cross-market products. Few associate dell and alienware together.
    Actually, since Dell bought Alienware, I do nothing but associate Dell with Alienware. My Nephew bought an Alienware laptop, it turned out to be a piece of crap that he had nothing but problems with and the customer service was horrible.

As far as Toshiba not offering gaming laptops, you can find them here: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/lapt...eatures=Gaming

I was going to buy an alienware once upon a time. I just couldn't see a reason to throw 2 grand at it though. I went to newegg and looked up ASUS computer specs versus the alienware I was then looking to buy and found one nearly the same for literally half the cost. You could then take it a step further and buy a recertified one to further save money, that is what I did. I've had the recertified pc for nearly 6 months now with no problems.

Pros: 6 core AMD proc. runs anything I throw at it. Fairly cheap 1gb graphics card runs wow max setting with ease. Costed me 500 bucks instead of the 2,000 I would have spent on the alienware. It's a good solid machine to be recertified.
    Cons: I did change out my PS but I also had one sitting in my old PC that was 750w instead of the 300w that came with it.

I done business with them before and after and they suck ass now in al respects compared to years ago, Dude you got a dell with no customer service is all your gonna be buying

Yeah, heard Dell bought Alienware and since then it has not been the same. Didn't know how bad it was. I'll probably look elsewhere in that case. Who's top of the line now, now that Alienware seems to have been knocked off? Or maybe a hierarchy of brands in your opinion would be helpful as well.

Actually it seems like other brands have been suggested. Might go with ASUS/Toshiba.
    Last edited by voxdragon; 2011-11-11 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dell is the one calling all the shots. That's the main problem.

Deleted
    ASUS have always had high build quality and a good understanding of what the customer wants.
    I suggest checking them out Just my opinion though!

For $1399 you could build a top of the line gaming desktop...

Deleted
    You want a laptop for wow, SC2 and LoL, right?
    So tell me again, why havent you bought a lower-end thinkpad with a llano CPU?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alienware:
    Pros: quality, performance, style, instant brand recognition.
    Cons: overpriced to hell.
    My last alienware was the biggest piece of junk. I had to send it to Florida 4x for service as it kept overheating and shutting down. Eventually the warranty ran out on it and they refused to talk to me about it. Never mind the fact they NEVER fixed the problem.

They look good and are over priced but the service department stinks!
    Last edited by Fermin; 2011-11-11 at 06:36 PM.