Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmoney511 View Post
    For $1399 you could build a top of the line gaming desktop...
    Top of the line could be debated, but it would DEFINITELY be a strong computer, easily able to push a lot of top-graphically intensive games near max settings.

If all he needs is a tower, he could get the following:

(Prices are from NEWEGG.com)

i5-2500K $215
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 $185
    Asus DCII GTX 560 Ti OC $250 (230 after MIR)
    Windows 7 OEM H.Prem. $100
    Cooler Master Storm Scout $70
    Crucial m4 128GB SATA III $210
    1TB HDD $150~
    corsair A70 heatsink $40
    Seasonic X Series 650 Watt Gold $130

Which totals out at $1,330 after the MIR.

If he decided he didn't want the SSD he could either SLI 2xGTX 560 Ti's or easily fit a single GTX 570 or 580 into the build. AMD Radeon equivalents would work too.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Top of the line could be debated, but it would DEFINITELY be a strong computer, easily able to push a lot of top-graphically intensive games near max settings.

If all he needs is a tower, he could get the following:

(Prices are from NEWEGG.com)

i5-2500K $215
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 $185
    Asus DCII GTX 560 Ti OC $250 (230 after MIR)
    Windows 7 OEM H.Prem. $100
    Cooler Master Storm Scout $70
    Crucial m4 128GB SATA III $210
    1TB HDD $150~
    corsair A70 heatsink $40
    Seasonic X Series 650 Watt Gold $130

Which totals out at $1,330 after the MIR.

If he decided he didn't want the SSD he could either SLI 2xGTX 560 Ti's or easily fit a single GTX 570 or 580 into the build. AMD Radeon equivalents would work too.
    If he dropped the windows and the ssd, reused his old HDD and got a hyper 212 and a more cost efficient case he could go for a dual 6950(or 6970 if you wanna go that route) build with a 800W PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RacistLiquid View Post
    If he dropped the windows and the ssd, reused his old HDD and got a hyper 212 and a more cost efficient case he could go for a dual 6950(or 6970 if you wanna go that route) build with a 800W PSU.
    A70 beats the Hyper 212+ and comes with 2 fans out of the box. ;p

Windows is just there hoping he doesn't pirate and if he isn't a student.

My issue with "reusing old HDD" is that typically people (at least me!) have files on older HDDs that we don't want to lose, since he wouldn't be able to just plug the old HDD in and boot Windows because of the new motherboard, which is unfortunate, but that's how it works. (I learned the hard way when I was a total noob back in March, lol!)

For $70 that case is very efficient, so unless you're trying to suggest he go for an even cheaper case, I don't know what you're talking about, and he needs to have a case that will have good airflow too, since especially if he SLI's/Xfires, he'll need more airflow and a slightly larger case just to allow cool air to get to the cards and especially in between them. At least I didn't suggest he get a full tower priced $150+...

It's a tight budget to try and fit XFire/SLI in anyways, since the power supply cost will only go up too, I forgot to mention he would have to upgrade the PSU to 750w likely to SLI 560 Ti's, though a 650w could power it, albeit it would be a tight fit, he certainly does not need an 800 watt PSU though.
    "A flower.

If you actually want and need a laptop, and don't just need a desktop. Then the M14X for those games listed, even the base model with the i5 would work all on High settings np.

Personally I have a M11X. R1(revision 1) with a 1.3GHZ Dual Core ULV and the GT335M, it runs WoW and SC2 fine, mind you its only at medium settings but WoW looks fine on Medium settings and so does SC2. I bought my M11X because I needed a "Laptop" that actually was a laptop not just a desktop replacement, I have my powerful desktop with 2x 24" screens and crossfired 4890's for when I need to play stuff at max settings or the newer games. I needed something I could travel with, I could go to school with, something that would last all day for taking notes/word/excel/coding and something that was light enough to actually carry around.

The M14X is probably at the border line of actually being used to carry around with you and use at school or at a coffee shop to do some light work. But it will for sure handle WoW SC2 and LoL at High settings, even with the i5.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    A70 beats the Hyper 212+ and comes with 2 fans out of the box. ;p

Windows is just there hoping he doesn't pirate and if he isn't a student.

My issue with "reusing old HDD" is that typically people (at least me!) have files on older HDDs that we don't want to lose, since he wouldn't be able to just plug the old HDD in and boot Windows because of the new motherboard, which is unfortunate, but that's how it works. (I learned the hard way when I was a total noob back in March, lol!)

For $70 that case is very efficient, so unless you're trying to suggest he go for an even cheaper case, I don't know what you're talking about, and he needs to have a case that will have good airflow too, since especially if he SLI's/Xfires, he'll need more airflow and a slightly larger case just to allow cool air to get to the cards and especially in between them. At least I didn't suggest he get a full tower priced $150+...

It's a tight budget to try and fit XFire/SLI in anyways, since the power supply cost will only go up too, I forgot to mention he would have to upgrade the PSU to 750w likely to SLI 560 Ti's, though a 650w could power it, albeit it would be a tight fit, he certainly does not need an 800 watt PSU though.
    The main issue with the HDD is the floods atm. They're outrageous. an HDD used to be half of the current price.what he can do is delete some stuff and split his current partition if he only has one ( This is easy and free. )
    I suggested dropping windows because GNU variations with wine run the games he mentioned ( not sure about LoL tho ) pretty smooth. Also, cant he reuse his old copy? Then he can always use 8 developer preview, which i'm currently using with zero problems and an even more refined experience.
    About the case : well, true that, I was thinking more of a 912 or a 960 basic. To each their own I guess. However, it's not impossible to go crossfire with that budget.

An as I mentioned, a thinkpad edge can set you up with a great WoW/SC2/LoL machine or a thinkpad x120 can even be fitted with an 2.5SSD in the DVD bay.
    The graphics are certainly more then adequate for these games and you're getting a very durable machine.

I'm surprised at $1k-1.3k, an Alienware 14x can't run WoW on higher settings. I was assuming it could, and was willing to put down a dime just for the looks and brand recognition. But now knowing that it can't run WoW on higher settings, and hearing all these horrific maintenance stories, I'm thinking that the looks may not be worth it, the performance isn't what I was expecting, and the brand recognition isn't even there anymore. I'm guessing dropping $750-1000 on an ASUS/Toshiba would be worth losing the cool casing of Alienware.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're at all interested in a desktop (far superior performance to laptops for the cost) you should check out some of the cases available... Alienware honestly don't stand out that much when you consider all of the hundreds of other case options. It's really just some silly LEDs, and if you want a slick case like Alienware's, there's plenty to be had from other brands too.
    "A flower.

Personally I think it's overpriced for what you're getting.

It'll definately play the games you listed, although you'll have a nasty shock if you try running a 25man raid on ultra.

I'm pretty sure you could get a better laptop for much cheaper.

Thx. Will probably stay away from Alienware. Very helpful input, guys .