Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Skyrim crashing my video drivers

As the title says, I can play Skyrim for about 3 minutes before my monitor goes black and 5 or 6 seconds later my sound cuts out. At this point I am forced to restart my computer.
    Now, I know what you are thinking, and yes, I updated the drivers after the first crash, happened 2 more times after that. I was poking around on bethesda's forums and noticed that someone said that if you download DirectX 9.0c directly from Microsoft it would fix your problem. So I went ahead and did that, which allowed me to play just up past character creation before the black screen of death hit me.

I am at a total loss on what to do. I am pretty sure I should just wait for a fix, seeing as how RAGE and Brink seemed to go through the same "release now/patch later" phase.

But, if anyone is able to offer any sort of solution, or some weird tech tweak/fix, that would be most appreciated.

I am running:
    Win7 64bit
    Intel i7 960 3.20ghz
    8gb RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 1GB

try uninstalling the drivers completely then re-installing them it may work had a similar problem with bf3 and that fixed it for me.

11.11 drivers are coming next week to address some more of these issues.

Same problem

Im havinbg the same problem here, Using NVidia GForce GTS 240, drivers updated. Apreciate any help.

Radeon HD6950 here, exact same problem - I am lucky to get 3 minutes into the game before the I lose video, then I lose sound afterwards and the computer completely hangs.

I'm guessing what's happening here is the display driver crashes, then Windows attempts to restart the driver, but fails, at which point the computer seizes. I've been unable to reproduce this problem in any other games. Guessing they'll release a fixed driver soon - they'd better.

I am also having the same problem...thought I was the only one there for a while. I'm using a AMD 5870 Turbo, I've tried every possible resolution and refresh rate combo known to man and nothing worked. I also tried messing with the .ini files and nothing seemed to work, I also totally reinstalled all audio and video drivers and older versions as well and nothing helps still. This is the only game this seems to occur in, for everyone.

Only thing that seemed to work was switching out monitors from my normal HDMI to digital, played for an hour no crashes, but that may just be a fluke.

This same problem is happening to me and it only seems to be in the Skyrim area. As soon as I make it into a dungeon/house type area it never crashes for me. I have a Radeon 6870 and am using an HDMI cable to an HDTV as a monitor.

I fixed this problem for my GF 275 by just underclocking memory a bit (using MSI Afterburner).. Framerate doesn't go down and it fixed driver crashing completely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone having a gtx 590, having the game use GPU 2 and not GPU 1? Or any SLI problems in general?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
    Anyone having a gtx 590, having the game use GPU 2 and not GPU 1? Or any SLI problems in general?
    Skyrim w. SLI pretty much working from the start over here. I did install the 285.79 BETA driver the day before, as it said it'd improve compatibility with Skyrim.

I only run with FXAA, not any MSAA due to weird frame drops that might or might not have to do with the VRAM getting capped.

Elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    I fixed this problem for my GF 275 by just underclocking memory a bit (using MSI Afterburner).. Framerate doesn't go down and it fixed driver crashing completely.
    Hi how exactly do you do that (undercloacking memory) I am having the black screen crash and it's not what I paid 60 bucks for I've been trying to fix it all weekend instead of playing the game. Please please help

Quote Originally Posted by IanHead View Post
    Radeon HD6950 here, exact same problem - I am lucky to get 3 minutes into the game before the I lose video, then I lose sound afterwards and the computer completely hangs.

I'm guessing what's happening here is the display driver crashes, then Windows attempts to restart the driver, but fails, at which point the computer seizes. I've been unable to reproduce this problem in any other games. Guessing they'll release a fixed driver soon - they'd better.
    This is just strange. Be sure you have the newest drivers (The ATI auto updater did not have the newest for me). I have an XFX 6950 2GB modded to a 6970 and I play Skyrim on full ultra for hours and I don't have an issue. I have Win 7 64 and the 64 bit drivers version. There has to be something else going on.

Deleted
    I am having the exact same problem with a HD 6850, the only problem for me is that i'm stuck with outdated drivers (11.8) because if i try to update it crashes my whole system and then i have to do a force restart, then go through multiple retrys to get the old ones back on again! Been in contact with AMD and XFX about both problems but they just keep telling me to do the exact same things over and over again despite the fact it doesn't work...

I'm extremely pissed because Skyrim worked almost flawlessly on some 3 year old drivers I had. I thought, maybe having the latest drivers will let me crank the settings higher. So I updated, and now I haven't been able to walk through any doors/transitions with loading without the game crashing. It's ridiculous! How can outdated drivers work better than the newest ones! I'm so distraught right now... worst decision ever...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by juckman View Post
    I'm extremely pissed because Skyrim worked almost flawlessly on some 3 year old drivers I had. I thought, maybe having the latest drivers will let me crank the settings higher. So I updated, and now I haven't been able to walk through any doors/transitions with loading without the game crashing. It's ridiculous! How can outdated drivers work better than the newest ones! I'm so distraught right now... worst decision ever...
    Had the same, hadn't updated drivers since I've put my pc together a year ago or so, was playing on Ultra High settings from the beginning with my 5770. Yesterday I thought I'd update it anyway. Bam, back to the stone ages with 800x600 with 4 colours, then half an hour of trying to uninstall it with mass Tab work to be able to click next on the Catalyst installer and same again with installing. And back to the old drivers I em. Conclusion, never update the drivers unless necessary I guess.

I have had all kinds of problems with my GTX 570 recently. The latest drivers were crashing my BF3, so I had to roll back to the Beta drivers 285.38.

BUT, the first time I played Skyrim, my PC blue screened and restarted during the cart ride introduction. These crashes were similar to what I was experiencing with BF3. All I did was change the Anti-aliasing down to 2x and turn off anisotropic filtering and haven't had an issue since.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I am having problems with 2 GTX 570 SC's in SLI.

My wife and daughter were away for the last 3 days, so I was able to get about 25 hours in on Skyrim. Everything had been running great. Settings on ultra, tweaks to the .ini files, and some adjustments made in the Nvidia control panel to Skyrims settings. About four hours ago, I started getting consistent, though seemingly random BBCode 116 crashes.

Right before it crashes, one of the GTX 570's fans speeds way up for a few seconds (though there is no spike in temperature), and then the screen goes black (no BSOD), and the computer shuts down. I think that means it's more likely a hardware issue then a drive issue. I've tested everything on the default settings, reinstalled the drivers, but to no avail. Temperatures on the cards are acceptable as well.

I built this system 6 months ago and it's been stable and solid up until now. Normally, I wouldn't be too alarmed, but 25 hours of problem free gameplay, followed by sudden consistent crashed alarms me. I have no other games to test with at the moment, but I'm hesitant to blame Skyrim, only because everything was fine for so long.

I've tried both the 285.62 drivers with the SLI update for Skyrim, and the 285.79 beta drivers. Same result with both.

System specs are,
    i7 2600k 4.6 on water
    8 GB Gskill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    2x EVGA GTX 570 SC SLI
    Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU

I turned off SLI today and so far so good. Turned SLI on and got an immediate crash. Still, if it is SLI related, why would it have taken 25 hours of game play to manifest itself, and then become a non stop issue?

Is the general consensus right now that there is an issue, either with Skyrim itself or the Nvidia drivers? I was thinking about starting to test the cards individually, or just RMA'ing both of them since they have the EVGA lifetime warranty, but perhaps it makes more sense to sit tight.

Those of you with AMD Crossfire troubles, take a look at http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...16&postcount=1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by protochicken View Post
    I am having problems with 2 GTX 570 SC's in SLI.

My wife and daughter were away for the last 3 days, so I was able to get about 25 hours in on Skyrim. Everything had been running great. Settings on ultra, tweaks to the .ini files, and some adjustments made in the Nvidia control panel to Skyrims settings. About four hours ago, I started getting consistent, though seemingly random BBCode 116 crashes.

Right before it crashes, one of the GTX 570's fans speeds way up for a few seconds (though there is no spike in temperature), and then the screen goes black (no BSOD), and the computer shuts down. I think that means it's more likely a hardware issue then a drive issue. I've tested everything on the default settings, reinstalled the drivers, but to no avail. Temperatures on the cards are acceptable as well.

I built this system 6 months ago and it's been stable and solid up until now. Normally, I wouldn't be too alarmed, but 25 hours of problem free gameplay, followed by sudden consistent crashed alarms me. I have no other games to test with at the moment, but I'm hesitant to blame Skyrim, only because everything was fine for so long.

I've tried both the 285.62 drivers with the SLI update for Skyrim, and the 285.79 beta drivers. Same result with both.

System specs are,
    i7 2600k 4.6 on water
    8 GB Gskill RipJaws DDR3 1600
    2x EVGA GTX 570 SC SLI
    Silent Pro Gold 1200w PSU

I turned off SLI today and so far so good. Turned SLI on and got an immediate crash. Still, if it is SLI related, why would it have taken 25 hours of game play to manifest itself, and then become a non stop issue?

Is the general consensus right now that there is an issue, either with Skyrim itself or the Nvidia drivers? I was thinking about starting to test the cards individually, or just RMA'ing both of them since they have the EVGA lifetime warranty, but perhaps it makes more sense to sit tight.
    Sounds like something broke if it took 25 hours.

Mine went whacky once too, though I don't know if it's related to your problem. I saw on the GPU monitor gadget on the second screen that one GPU dropped to 0% load and then the PC hung up. I ended up upping voltage with 0.007 in MSI afterburner and haven't had any problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Sounds like something broke if it took 25 hours.

Mine went whacky once too, though I don't know if it's related to your problem. I saw on the GPU monitor gadget on the second screen that one GPU dropped to 0% load and then the PC hung up. I ended up upping voltage with 0.007 in MSI afterburner and haven't had any problem since.
    That was my first thought too, but I've now tested each card individually and they are both fine. I then tested several other games using both cards in SLI and had no issues, so now I'm back to thinking it's SLI related.