Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Most of the people complaining about having to wait having been waiting long at all.

People that have been waiting 3 years are all "meh delay"
    People that have been waiting 3 months are all "omfg this is fucking bullshit so fucking sick of waiting".
    lol it does seem that way doesn't it?

As for the delay, it's not that big of a deal, sure it sucks that i wont be able to play GW2 yet, but it gives me more time to get my raccoon!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

At a marketing standpoint this is a disaster.
    If CBT is early 2012. you can count the game will be in the store no earlier than Q4 next year aiming for a christmas end of year launch. Most money to made. However MoP will be out already. How will you nibble away at the wow community? The best time to do that is in-between announce of expansion. Thats when the loyalist are the most displeased and stop playing to wait for new content. The wow community is substantial and they want a part of it to play this game. The closed beta should have started already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Peta View Post
    At a marketing standpoint this is a disaster.
    If CBT is early 2012. you can count the game will be in the store no earlier than Q4 next year aiming for a christmas end of year launch. Most money to made. However MoP will be out already. How will you nibble away at the wow community? The best time to do that is in-between announce of expansion. Thats when the loyalist are the most displeased and stop playing to wait for new content. The wow community is substantial and they want a part of it to play this game. The closed beta should have started already.
    I will paste this here again:
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...8&postcount=73

I do agree on the timing - it's crucial. I'm pretty sure we will see new class reveal at the end of this month or right at the beginning of December. Closed beta will start at the end of December (perfect xmass gift if you ask me ;p). Realistically we are looking at early Q2 release date. Lots of time for CB, OB etc. Anything earlier and it may be rushed, anything later and it can go bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I'v been waiting since the original announcement and even i'm getting abit annoyed. I mean then went like 5 months saying Closed beta this year. Then at the last second they change it.

lol what ever...back to skyrim.
    Umm, they haven't changed it at all. Closed Beta is still going to start this year... I think people are misreading something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Kerstein
    I think you all need to take a deep breath and calm down. The essence of the earnings call is: Nothing changed from what we have said in the past. We will enter CBT before the end of the year, and depending on the results we get from it, we will decide on Open Beta and Launch.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-11-13 at 05:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    It would make lot more sense to start closed beta after Christmas and new year, so that devs can have proper holidays. It would be bad for devs to come back from holidays and being flooded with bug reports from beta testers.
    This.
    Rested devs are happy devs. Getting them some vacation will give them motivation to come back and make a better game.

Look at the Cataclysm release in december and how during the following two months hotfixes were pushed out every other day, possibly completely burning out the dev team (depriving them of the holidays) and (in my opinion) causing the delay with Firelands being pushed out to 4.2 instead of going in with the meager 4.1.

Does anyone remember the release of the Burning Crusade? Idiots were calling for a Christmas release "else sales will be bad, because everyone release games for christmas!" and at that time, Blizzard was still true to its "ready when it's ready". So they skipped the holiday season and released the next year.

Like previous posts above me, I think it's better to ship a game when it's done, and not based on a date set by a marketing VP who has no idea of dev cycles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    I'v been waiting since the original announcement and even i'm getting abit annoyed. I mean then went like 5 months saying Closed beta this year. Then at the last second they change it.
    Did you already forget the reply with an ArenaNet quote to your "so much bullshit" post on the first page? Even if it was changed to early 2012, that's a little over a month away. If you can't wait another month for them to finish the 8th class and other finishing touches (which is what I imagine they're still working on), then you have some RL issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the release date is made longer, then tbh i'm happy that they're not rushing things. I've waited nearly 5 years, i can wait longer.

The original quote from the investor call mentioned the closed beta before the end of the year still. What is being confused is the part they're talking about a larger, more 'commercial' closed beta at the start of next year. I don't know what the plan is exactly, but it seems like they're going to do a small, internal beta to start out with, and then open things up to a larger audience through fan sites and giveaways. After that, they mention how they should expect the game in the first half of next year, but it's still possible it could slip to the latter half. In the end, everything still seems to be on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Translated
    We are planning on conducting a CBT within this year, but for us to conduct a large scale CBT test that can be significantly felt within the market, I think that we are anticipating about the beginning of next year to do that. Therefore, we don't have a concrete schedule yet with regards to the full commercialization schedule for Guild Wars 2, but I'm thinking that it will be not too late part of next year, but some time in the latter part of next year that would be possible, perhaps. But, we will have to wait and see the testing results this year to come up with the final schedule.

I waited for Paper Mario 2 for 3 years, and that was when I was 10. I think I can wait a few more months for this game.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wish they would publicly release the demo at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vafiveh View Post
    Though I would be very angry at not having a beta of sorts this or next month, i'll still wait patiently. Can't even make myself log onto WoW anymore, and too much LoL is bad for you.

Beta or not, I'll be preordering Collectors edition GW2.
    I just discovered LoL O.O That game will keep me pretty occupied until GW2 comes out

Good thing I bought Skyrim, it shall hold me over for a while.
    The Glowing Piece of Radical Rock!

They just want to see how SWTOR will fare up in the market so they can release at an appropriate time methinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalla View Post
    I just discovered LoL O.O That game will keep me pretty occupied until GW2 comes out
    Meh, i did too, but LoL is pretty meh to me... GW1 on the other hand is keeping me very very occupied in my free time =D!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

My favorite release date from a developer is always: "When it's done."

CBT: This year, as they said.

OBT: Sometime next year, as they said.

So far I'm not seeing anything to gripe about, they're doing what they've said they were going to do. As for, "Five Years" well, surprise surprise, there are plenty of games with Five year development cycles, and higher, out there. Nothing new.

The impatient, "I've been waiting too long" sentiments I've seen any number of places, in regard to any number of games, always irks me. I don't want it until it's done, be that a few months, a year or another five years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everytime I remember GW2 has an NCsoft influence, I just cringe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Everytime I remember Wow has an Activision influence, I just cringe.
    ...is basically what you said.

GW2 is made by ArenaNet in Seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Most of the people complaining about having to wait having been waiting long at all.

People that have been waiting 3 years are all "meh delay"
    People that have been waiting 3 months are all "omfg this is fucking bullshit so fucking sick of waiting".
    Agreed Mif. FINALLY got my account up and running after following the threads on here for years. I've been playing GW since 2004, and WoW since 2005. I've quit WoW but that's for another thread - I keep myself busy playing Skyrim, Minecraft and GW1 these days and honestly since I heard about GW2 YEARS ago I am still just as pumped if not more pumped for the release of the beta and eventually the final game.

Honestly people don't realize that making games is a lot of work and time.. There's a reason they cost millions of dollars plus to make. But anyway, back on topic. I am not disappointed at this in the slightest. I will wait as long as it takes for them to polish the game and give us what we have been waiting for. 10$ down at the local gamestop in prep for when they announce collectors edition pre-sales.

Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Yea but that goes for hype, I bet there's a much lower number of people who have been waiting all those years than the new hyped up people. The ones used to the wait will keep on waiting and surely buy the game. Hyped up people keep on going for a while and might lose interest if they get to wait too long and hypes over something else or roll something else.
    That's why I'm thinking, perhaps they have given us too much information if they don't intend to release it quite "soon". Holding on to information instead of giving it to the public delay the hype stream and also makes them able to more easily also delay development and release.
    The people who are mindless sheep all around the hype of the game just because it's new and shiny can get lost. The true fans are the people I want to play with when the game finally comes out. And it will be very obvious who those people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    If the release date is made longer, then tbh i'm happy that they're not rushing things. I've waited nearly 5 years, i can wait longer.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by PandarianLeakage View Post
    They just want to see how SWTOR will fare up in the market so they can release at an appropriate time methinks.
    Huh? I don't understand why people keep bringing up WoW or SW:ToR in Guild Wars threads. Guild Wars 1 is doing just fine even to this day with WoW out there. The release of MoP or SW:ToR has nothing to do with Guild Wars 2. The good people at Arena Net are not concerned with those other games, they know they will do great with GW2 and have enough people playing and supporting it.

I for one don't give a crap about Star Wars games and WoW hasn't done it for me since WoTLK came out. GW1 is my MMO of choice currently and GW2 will be the game for me when it's done.
    Last edited by Mkalafut; 2011-11-14 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroCrag32 View Post
    Good thing I bought Skyrim, it shall hold me over for a while.
    This, plus WoW, SW:TOR beta, and free Diablo 3 coming from the annual pass means they can take as long as they want. A few months ago it would've pissed me off, no doubt. Honestly I think this is being overblown, seems like they're still on target for beta this year... though that could mean December 31st.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    I've been playing GW since 2004
    Were you actually in the very first beta weekend or do you just not know when the game came out?

The people who are mindless sheep all around the hype of the game just because it's new and shiny can get lost. The true fans are the people I want to play with when the game finally comes out. And it will be very obvious who those people are.
    Wow. No. This game has the chance to change the direction of MMORPGs as we know them. Do you want more WoW clones for the next decade? I certainly don't. This game needs to be a huge success, and it needs to take in a huge audience and be enjoyable for all of them. The longer they take, the more hype they lose. I hope ANet is aware of that. I think they are, but if they start to actually delay (this isn't a delay) I may begin to doubt. There is a 99% chance I get this game, even if it doesn't release for 3 more years, but I don't want ANet to kill their sales of the game by killing off their hype machine.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-11-14 at 04:51 PM.

It's important to not forget that 5 years is the standard development time for MMOs. Not only that, ANet is changing our entire perception of the genre in the same amount of time it takes everyone else to make a WoW clone with 1 new feature tacked on.