10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody Bamboo Forrest of Eternal Nightmares

SWTOR Beta Help! Error Code: 6

Hi guys I got accepted into the beta for this weekend, and when I go to click play on the launcher it closes and says, "This program encountered an internal error and will exit. Error code:6

Anyone know a fix for this? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Go to the Twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrena View Post
    Go to the Twitter.
    Where on twitter? Never used it -.-

Try the SWTOR beta forums, more likely that you'll find someone that can help you there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaninchen View Post
    Try the SWTOR beta forums, more likely that you'll find someone that can help you there.
    I looked there and there was only one person, and on one could help him...it's why i'm here

Was it while you were downloading the game through the SWTOR Downloader client?

The SWTOR forums site is down atm. Too much traffic and it couldn't handle it apparently. I've been a Beta tester for about 2 months now and if your issue is the one I'm thinking it probraly is, the issue is a known issue, I had the issue, but the "how to fix" walk through is unfortunately on the beta tester forums and I cant log in atm to tell you where to go and I cant remember exactly what to do.

If the site comes back up and you can search the closed beta tester forums, search through the stickys on the main page and you should find some help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I'm feeling friendly...

From someone who has had the error:

"What fixed it for me: Apparently it's pretty wonky if you don't install the game on your C:\ drive. Apparently it tries to create a cache on that drive that's about 2.5gigs in size. Making sure that amount of space was available on that drive fixed it for me."

"If you have the setup file still on your computer (in the Downloads folder), rerun that and do a reinstall. It should only take a couple of seconds and may fix any issues you have with the launcher."
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Error Code 6 - Possible Fix

SUBJECT: Error Code 6
    EMAIL: RE: Error Code 6

I read about a fix on the game test forums about twenty minutes ago, it worked for one person, but not for me . worth a try though very easy to do.

the fix suggested going to:
    betatest\retailclient\client-defaults.ini and changing the "BaseResourceFileName=..\..\Assets\green_" string to reflect actual install directory after the equals sign.

in my case the change looked like this:
    BaseResourceFileName=Y:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\Assets\green_

another suggestion was to login and instead of clicking play just clicking directly on the swtor.exe in the betatest\retailclient folder

also a lot of people who have installed the game on a drive other than C:\ (which most of them seem to be using an SSD just for the windows installation) are receiving the error code 6 problem.

I have since reverted my client-defaults.ini back to the original ..\..\Assets\green_ , but at least one user reported changing the string to the actual location got him to start watching the opening movie

RSVP if this works for you

10+ Year Old Account
    I've tried everything and the beta forums are all screwy...I'm so mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    Because I'm feeling friendly...

From someone who has had the error:

"What fixed it for me: Apparently it's pretty wonky if you don't install the game on your C:\ drive. Apparently it tries to create a cache on that drive that's about 2.5gigs in size. Making sure that amount of space was available on that drive fixed it for me."

"If you have the setup file still on your computer (in the Downloads folder), rerun that and do a reinstall. It should only take a couple of seconds and may fix any issues you have with the launcher."
    You can also just change your ini file to point directly to the files rather than a dynamic file path

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Existenz99 View Post
    You can also just change your ini file to point directly to the files rather than a dynamic file path
    Could you elaborate as to exactly how one could accomplish this? I'm having the same problem as others, here, but can't quite figure out exactly what to do to fix it

Same error here too. How many beta invites did they send out? Because it crashed harder than me hitting on Liz Hurley.

Quote Originally Posted by branflakecereal View Post
    Could you elaborate as to exactly how one could accomplish this? I'm having the same problem as others, here, but can't quite figure out exactly what to do to fix it
    In your betatest folder look for "client_defaults.ini" The very last line will say BaseResourceFileName=..\..\Assets\green_

change everything after the equals sign to be the EXACT path to your assets folder. For example mine read BaseResourceFileName=D:\SWtor\Assets\green_

Right click on swtor.exe and select "run as administrator" and make sure you have windows firewall turned off or at least add an exception for swtor.exe

Save the file and close it. Run Launcher.exe and hit play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Existenz99 View Post
    In your betatest folder look for "client_defaults.ini" The very last line will say BaseResourceFileName=..\..\Assets\green_

change everything after the equals sign to be the EXACT path to your assets folder. For example mine read BaseResourceFileName=D:\SWtor\Assets\green_

Right click on swtor.exe and select "run as administrator" and make sure you have windows firewall turned off or at least add an exception for swtor.exe

Save the file and close it. Run Launcher.exe and hit play.
    Did exactly as you suggested (my ini now reads BaseResourceFileName=D:\Games\Star Wars-The Old Republic\Assets\green_), still getting the error message. Obviously, my C Drive is full (using an old ~20gb hard drive as a dedicated boot disk), otherwise I'd just free up the room for the cache.

Any ideas?

15+ Year Old Account
    The beta forums are back up for everyone in the test so take this issue there. Should be much more helpul. Tweeting Rockjaw also isn't a bad idea. He is answering tons of questions now.