1. #1

    [Disc] Is there a soft/hard cap on HASTE?

    I've been reforging/ gemming into it but now that I'm at 11.71% (1499), I'm starting to wonder if there's a soft/ hard cap on haste?

    Thanks!
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Vixen View Post
    I've been reforging/ gemming into it but now that I'm at 11.71% (1499), I'm starting to wonder if there's a soft/ hard cap on haste?

    Thanks!
    Back in Wrath there was a hypothetical haste cap value iicc, round ~25% because we have the talent effect of +x% haste in disc tree back then, now assuming the identity of darkness. Also triggered haste bonus effect from Borrowed time should be given consideration.

  3. #3
    Of course there are softcaps. For every combination of hastebuffs you can get you also get a softcap at which the GCD goes below 1s.
    Also, haste rating has dimishing returns, so there may be some values after which other ratings overtake it in terms of usefulness for your playstyle.
    Haste is by no means linear.

    Still, all these are real soft caps, as in they don't matter much in my opinion. Haste won't be suddenly useless with anything we can reach right now.
    Since all our stats are as close together as they are, I just choose how fast I want my 2.5s casts to be after which I don't reforge to haste anymore. I choose something around 2s (depending on buffs) after which taking another 0.1s off becomes too expensive for my tastes.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2011-11-13 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Of course there are softcaps. For every combination of hastebuffs you can get you also get a softcap at which the GCD goes below 1s.
    Also, haste rating has dimishing returns, so ther may be some values after which other ratings overtake it in terms of usefulness for your playstyle.
    Haste is by no means linear.

    Still, all this are real soft caps, as in the don't matter much in my opinion. Haste won't be suddenly useless with anything we can reach right now.
    Since all our stats are as close together as they are, I just choose how fast I want my 2.5s casts to be after which I don't reforge to hast anymore. I choose something around 2s (depending on buffs) after which taking another 0.1s off becomes too expensive for my tastes.
    Same here I looked for a haste level i felt comfortable with and have since been going mst.
    Thanks to Shiri for the awesome sig <3

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    Back in Wrath there was a hypothetical haste cap value iicc, round ~25% because we have the talent effect of +x% haste in disc tree back then, now assuming the identity of darkness. Also triggered haste bonus effect from Borrowed time should be given consideration.
    It's at 36% now seeing that "Borrowed Time" have been lowered from 25% to 14%. When you are at 36% every other haste will be wasted as soon as Borroed Time is up reaching the total of 50% haste which is the hard cap for lowering global CD.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    It's at 36% now seeing that "Borrowed Time" have been lowered from 25% to 14%. When you are at 36% every other haste will be wasted as soon as Borroed Time is up reaching the total of 50% haste which is the hard cap for lowering global CD.
    With raid buffs + BT you'll cap GCD with about 25.3% (unbuffed) haste, which is around 3250 haste rating (or 2930 with 2 in darkness). This should actually be achievable in T13, although I don't know if you'd actually want to do it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    It's at 36% now seeing that "Borrowed Time" have been lowered from 25% to 14%. When you are at 36% every other haste will be wasted as soon as Borroed Time is up reaching the total of 50% haste which is the hard cap for lowering global CD.
    I wouldn't say that it would be wasted since the mechanics of over time spells benefit from haste now i.e. Renew. I'm not sure about other spells that are over time in nature, i.e. Echoes of Light, Prayer of Healing Glyph effect, etc, if it is affected by haste as well.

    iirc Penance spell benefits from Haste by somehow reducing the cast/channel time of penance pulses.Does it still apply?
    Last edited by vertigo12; 2011-11-13 at 04:07 AM.

  8. #8
    noob question

    why spec into haste? Isn't mastery supposed to be a better stat for Disc healing 4.2? I have too much haste from my gear from itemizing shadow, and I've been trying to get rid of haste gear in favour of mastery since that's what I've read. Am I wrong on this?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    noob question

    why spec into haste? Isn't mastery supposed to be a better stat for Disc healing 4.2? I have too much haste from my gear from itemizing shadow, and I've been trying to get rid of haste gear in favour of mastery since that's what I've read. Am I wrong on this?
    Mastery only affects shields, haste affects everything.
    Tenser @ EU-Auchindoun
    Officer of <WTFlux> 2-day-weekend-raiding-guild, T14: 8/16HC, T15: 2/13H
    Warlock POV - streaming raids on sat/sun 10am-2pm GMT+1

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    Mastery only affects shields, haste affects everything.
    Mastery affects every spell you have considering "Devine Aegis" and it's pretty populare to go with a mastery/crit build instead of haste. Haste on the other hand, does not affect your shield at all in terms of damage absorbed. It does however help you to chew down the Weakened Souln debuff by a small bit.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 12:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by vertigo12 View Post
    I wouldn't say that it would be wasted since the mechanics of over time spells benefit from haste now i.e. Renew. I'm not sure about other spells that are over time in nature, i.e. Echoes of Light, Prayer of Healing Glyph effect, etc, if it is affected by haste as well.

    iirc Penance spell benefits from Haste by somehow reducing the cast/channel time of penance pulses.Does it still apply?
    Haste does have it's worth above 50% indeed. But it's just not as good at that point as it used to be condsidering that you global cooldown can not be lowered anymore (PoM and shields anyone?) and should therefor be less worth than mastery or perhaps crit at that point. I'm not a healing priest though so I have no exact numbers

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    It's at 36% now seeing that "Borrowed Time" have been lowered from 25% to 14%. When you are at 36% every other haste will be wasted as soon as Borroed Time is up reaching the total of 50% haste which is the hard cap for lowering global CD.
    We use less shields than in BC and will have less BT uptime because of that. I for one don't care about that cap at all since the only 1.5s cast that would remove BT is FH - which I dont use much at all anymore. I don't spamm shields either. If I did i would gear for mastery and not for haste. True, I loose a little bit of effectiveness I could have from BT for the instants I use before I cast a spell with cast time to use it up, but that is minor at best.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-13 at 09:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Mastery affects every spell you have considering "Devine Aegis" and it's pretty populare to go with a mastery/crit build instead of haste. Haste on the other hand, does not affect your shield at all in terms of damage absorbed. It does however help you to chew down the Weakened Souln debuff by a small bit.[COLOR="red"]
    Mastery is a poor stat to incease DA.
    Saying "haste does not affect your shield at all in terms of damage absorbed" is pointless. It does not affect any spells in terms of damage absorbed or damage healt. It only affects how often you can create those effects and it is in fact better at inceasing the amount of DA absorbtion you can cause in a given time than mastery is. Crit is better at that, too, btw.

    The 50% haste cap (including buffs and BT) is outdated. It is very important for shield spam, but not for Disc priests who use spells with cast time - unless the spamm FH instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •