Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Building a new system for Christmas

Budget: $1050, I'm willing to budge a little bit, but not a bunch
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Games: World of Warcraft 25 man raiding
    Settings Desired: Mostly ultra settings, I could live without little things, like ultra shadows etc. Mainly, I don't want any lag in boss fights that hinders performance.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I watch movies, but they aren't really HD per say. I also have a mouse and headphones, so I'd need a keyboard, monitor etc. I have a 750W PSU and a Case in the box already, also. Forgot to mention I don't need speakers because I never take out the headphone jack, and prefer no sound in WoW.
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2011-11-12 at 02:31 PM.

Gaming 1200

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H – $159.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 2x4GB – $54.99
    GPU: ASUS DCII GTX 580 – $499.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99
    PSU: Corsair TX550M – $99.99 Review
    Heatsink: CM Hyper 212+ – $27.99 Review
    Case: CM 690 II Advanced – $89.99

Estimated Total Price – $1213

Gaming 1500

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P – $179.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz 2x4GB – $54.99
    GPU: ASUS DCII GTX 580 – $499.99
    SSD: Crucial M4 120GB – $196.99 Review
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99
    PSU: Seasonic X Series 650W – $109.99 Review
    Heatsink: Corsair A70 – $38.00 Review
    Case: Corsair 500R Black – $139.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $1500
    mmo-champion. com/threads/986175-Marest-s-Sample-Builds

Depending on what you can salvage (HDD, PSU, Case, etc)

Deleted

You'll have to add a keyboard to that, other than that I think I got it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post

You'll have to add a keyboard to that, other than that I think I got it all.
    I would suggest a slightly bigger HDD if you watch movies that you save onto your HDD. perhaps 1tb. if not, then 500gb is good enough.

also, could you mention what size monitor you want? the 23.6" mentioned is pretty good, but if you want to go cheaper, here's one that's only 21.5" but ~$40 cheaper. link.

for a keyboard, personally, I'd recommend this. although if you can, try and get it on sale. I got mine for only $40, and I love it. slight problem though - sometimes it won't register three keys pressed simultaneously (can be a hassle if you play fps games, isn't a problem if you play WoW or other games).

There's no need for a CPUHS if you're not planning to OC - the boxed version of the i5 2500K runs just fine.
    And like Mooshi already mentioned, a bigger HDD (1TB+) is also nice to have - given that you're watching a lot of movies/saving them on your HDD.
    Last but not least: DDR3 1600 RAM isn't worth the money - just buy some 1333s. There's almost no difference between them except for a few % in benchmarks - that's all.

I've also ordered some parts to upgrade my system. Maybe it'll help you decide, so I'll post the stuff I just ordered:

2048MB Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 Aktiv PCIe 2.1 x16 (Retail) - actually there's no need for the 2GB version when not using crossfire/SLI - but somehow ... I JUST WANT TO HAVE IT! :>
    Intel Core i5 2500K 4x 3.30GHz So.1155 BOX
    8GB TeamGroup Elite DDR3-1333 DIMM CL9 Dual Kit - only 28€, maybe I'll order some more of them
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Z68 S1155 ATX - this was the hardest decision (didn't want to spend more than 90€). But after 4 years of using a Gigabyte-Board in my current system, I'm very pleased with them.

Deleted
    I would suggest a slightly bigger HDD if you watch movies that you save onto your HDD. perhaps 1tb. if not, then 500gb is good enough.
    He is on a budget and adding a 1TB drive is $45+

There's no need for a CPUHS if you're not planning to OC - the boxed version of the i5 2500K runs just fine.
    And like Mooshi already mentioned, a bigger HDD (1TB+) is also nice to have - given that you're watching a lot of movies/saving them on your HDD.
    Last but not least: DDR3 1600 RAM isn't worth the money - just buy some 1333s. There's almost no difference between them except for a few % in benchmarks - that's all.
    The point of getting 2500k is to OC (or at least some time in the future) otherwise you might as well buy a non "k" version. As for the HDD, read my first comment. Also 500GB is quite fine, you can always expand when prices come down, pair it with external storage etc.
    As for the RAM, don't listen to them, you're not going to save very much. If you really want to save anything on the build I linked you can drop to 4GB but I would still recommend staying with the 8GB.

Not since the flood in Thailand. It put a very serious dent in the world's HDD supply and while warehouses start running tighter on stock on hand prices go up rapidly. For instance check that link in the 2nd post. That $45 drive is now about 3x that price.

The point of getting 2500k is to OC (or at least some time in the future) otherwise you might as well buy a non "k" version. As for the HDD, read my first comment. Also 500GB is quite fine, you can always expand when prices come down, pair it with external storage etc.
    As for the RAM, don't listen to them, you're not going to save very much. If you really want to save anything on the build I linked you can drop to 4GB but I would still recommend staying with the 8GB.
    $45+? a 500gb was suggested, but going from 500gb to 1tb isn't that pricey.
    I've seen some 1tb HDDs for as low as $70 recently, even with the huge price surge from the flooding in thailand.

also, he didn't say whether or not he wanted to oc his system, so I suggested a k version in case there was a desire to do so.

lastly, I never mentioned anything about dropping ram. I would stick with 8gb also.

seems like you've been out to get me in two posts I've made. no idea why but ok.
    Last edited by mooshi; 2011-11-13 at 04:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dlouhys View Post
    Not since the flood in Thailand. It put a very serious dent in the world's HDD supply and while warehouses start running tighter on stock on hand prices go up rapidly. For instance check that link in the 2nd post. That $45 drive is now about 3x that price.
    Read my post again

My build has a 500GB drive at $115, they suggest adding a 1TB drive which is an added $45+ (Spinpoint F3) total $160.

Read my post again

My build has a 500GB drive at $115, they suggest adding a 1TB drive which is an added $45+ (Spinpoint F3) total $160.
    Ah thought you were still going off the old prices. Sorry, I've had to explain this about a dozen times in the past month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshi View Post
    $45+? goodness, where are you getting your HDDs from? also, it was just a suggestion, as he said he has a tiny leeway in prices.
    I've seen some 1tb HDDs for as low as $70 recently, even with the huge price surge from the flooding in thailand.

also, he didn't say whether or not he wanted to oc his system, so I suggest a k version in case there was a desire to do so.

lastly, I never mentioned anything about dropping ram. I would stick with 8gb also.

seems like you've been out to get me in two posts I've made. no idea why but ok.
    I'm not out to get anyone, this is about computers and budgets, nothing personal. My comment about not dropping the RAM was directed at Yumme (hence why I quoted him) and I'm talking about not dropping to 1300MHz RAM, not really the amount.

And yes it's $45+ to go from 500GB to 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...spinpoint%20f3

And yes it's $45+ to go from 500GB to 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...spinpoint%20f3
    mm, pricey HDDs... dunno about the OP, but if you don't mind other brands, like seagate or something, there are plenty cheaper. although this linked one is definitely good, just a bit too pricey for me.:P

Deleted
    You're right there are some 7200Rpm 1TB drives down at $150 so yes you could save another $10 I guess.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20and%20higher

Alright, this is what I have:
    CPU - GTX560 Ti $220
    MB - MSI P67A-G43 $115
    CPU - i5 2500k $215
    CPUHS - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ $26
    Monitor - ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor $155
    RAM - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $43
    HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.0GB/s $130

≈$905
    I'm getting a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate to close the gap, anyone have stories to share about it?
    I know the P67 won't support the integrated graphics on the i5 chip, but I'm not particularly concerned, unless one of you sees it absolutely necessary I go pick up a Z68.
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2011-11-13 at 05:06 AM.

Deleted
    The RAM is 1600MHz, just a typo though , see I wasn't sure you needed Windows 7 or not, optical drive etc. Looks good though

Oh, I forgot to add the OD, that's just another $17, I should be able to get my hands on a Win7, if I can't I'll just get the x64 Premium when necessary.

The reason I don't want to get the 1600Mhz is because on that MB it has an asterisk by 1600 in the RAM supported and in parenthesis it says OC, obviously denoting overclock. I may be misinterpreting it, check out that page on Newegg and see if I'm just dumb.
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2011-11-13 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mooshi View Post
    Where? I don't believe that until I see it. Please link so I can purchase.

Here.

Hmmm, I might get that over this.

Not sure that $60 is worth 32MB more of Cache...

P.S. Don't buy them all and be a glutton -- share the wealth. :>
    Last edited by Adsertif; 2011-11-13 at 05:30 AM.

Thank you very much

Deleted
    Yeah that HD is fine and your board will support the RAM.