Building a new computer. Need some advice.

I built my curent computer about 4 years ago and I use it mainly for playing WOW and other games. I was able to play Deux Ex: Human Revolutions and Dragon Age 2 at 1024x768 on medium settings fairly well. The issue is that my computer is at the minimum requirement levels for most of the new games coming out and the video card I have only has 256meg memory so it can't run Skyrim. I know going forward that it will be harder to run most of the games decently (if at all), so I figure it's time to replace it. I plan to use the new computer for WOW, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3 (when out), etc...

Some things to know before we go any further:

* I'd like to keep the price around $600, but no more than $650.
    * I don't overclock and I probably won't do it. I'd just stick with the stock fan that comes with whatever CPU I get.
    * I've had an 80gb hard drive with this computer and I usually still have 10-20gig free (with WOW and 2-3 other games installed at the same time), so I don't need a giant hard drive if it would keep the price down. I would say 150gb or higher is probably fine.
    * I play in 1024x768 resolution now and my games look good to me, so I don't require my new system to be able to play everything at ultra settings for the newest games. With that being said, it would be nice if I could get it close to ultra and still have it last me a few years again before I needed to consider a new system (or upgrades). Basically, something that will last me and have some upgradability.
    * Ideally I would like to get a good video card with 1gb of memory with DirectX 11 support.
    * I have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, sata dvd drive so I don't need those.
    * I currently have a tower case with a see-through side panel and blue lighting however, the look of the case isn't a really big deal, so I would sacrifice some looks for something that would keep my new system cool.
    * I'd like to get a decent power supply that would have the ability to run more powerful upgrades (if I added them in the future), but if this ends up costing too much, then I would stick with one that would be good enough for what I was building.

I was looking at Marest's following spec:

Budget Gaming 650
    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43 – $89.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2GB – $29.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6870 – $169.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB – $54.99
    PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 – $59.99
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II – $29.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $655

I am considering the above spec, but I'm not set in stone on the Intel chipset (my current comp is AMD), so I would consider an AMD processor if it would be cheaper and run almost as well with the above factors considered. Anything you would recommend changing that would fit what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.

Got caught in the moderationfilter, so here's a free bump.

A bit tight on time, so I can't make any recommendations other than perhaps getting 1333MHz memory if it goes for less and getting another PSU.
    This after MiR costs the same.

There's no amd cpu in existence that comes close to matching the i5-2500k. Even the fx-8150 their new kingpin @ $270 gets creamed
    Also the hdd probably costs a lot more, should doublecheck the price... they've tripled in price due to flooding in thailand >_>
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You mention that you're not going to overclock, so perhaps you'll want to consider the i5-2400 if you wanna save $30.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115074

What do you guys think about this PS? (in terms of being able to support future upgrades):

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W (NewEgg Item #N82E16817182032)

Also, how would my current PS work if I chose to keep it and go with most of the upgrades above? This is my current PS:

XON-600F14T-201 (XION PowerReal) (NewEgg Item #N82E16817190007)

Sorry...I couldn't post links yet.
    Last edited by bobgold13; 2011-11-13 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobgold13 View Post
    Budget Gaming 650
    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43 – $89.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k – $219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2GB – $29.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6870 – $169.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB – $54.99
    PSU: Corsair CX500 V2 – $59.99
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II – $29.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $655

I am considering the above spec, but I'm not set in stone on the Intel chipset (my current comp is AMD), so I would consider an AMD processor if it would be cheaper and run almost as well with the above factors considered. Anything you would recommend changing that would fit what I'm looking for? Thanks in advance.
    HDD prices are through the roof right now, if you can find one for $70, buy it immediately imo (granted it's 1tb and 7200 rpm).
    although, you said you don't need that much space, so finding a cheaper one with only 500gb should be more than enough.

also, I'd go with a brandname PSU; you don't want to be cheap and buy one only to have it die on you a month later. however, this doesn't mean go big or go home - a nice decent price PSU is all you should need (ex: corsair).

as for the CPU, you can't go wrong with intel's i5-2500k (or even 2400k if you're trying to save money).
    but if you're short on money, AMD's phenom II x4 965T isn't bad... sure it's no intel, but it'll get the gaming done.

lastly, if you're going with AMD for your graphics card, I'd recommend the radeon 6850. most bang for its buck (@ $135 or so).
    I'd recommend gtx 560, 570, or 580 but I don't have much experience with them; still good cards though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakoes View Post
    I'd go with a better brand. Try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139028
    I'd recommend this too. I bought it when I built my computer, and it's nice.