Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Want to upgrade my computer very soon. Need help though

I'm going to upgrade my PC a bit come Christmas time/first of the year. Was going to earlier but had a few personal complications. Just need some help picking out a Motherboard and GPU. I want to be able to play Battlefield 3 (doesn't HAVE to be Ultra, just looking for a nice looking playable quality), Skyrim, and SWTOR for the most part. So basically, Battlefield 3 being the most demanding.

I'm upgrading my Motherboard, CPU, GFX card, and RAM.

This is what I have currently:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 running @ 3.00Ghz
    GFX: Radeon HD 4850
    RAM: 2x2 4GB G.Skill DDR2 1366
    PSU: Corsair VX550W

What I want to upgrade to:
    CPU: Looking. Open to suggestions. Intel only.
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Motherboard: What I need help on (Don't want to spend more than $130 - $150)
    GFX: Also what I need help on (Don't want to spend more than $200 - $250)

I'm trying to keep the price down as much as I can, budget.

I just need help picking a good motherboard and a good, reliable, and affordable GFX card. Just having one hell of a confusing time trying to find those. Help is VERY appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Kryptz; 2011-11-13 at 12:49 AM.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

If I was you I'd go with the phenom X6 series or the intel 'i' series.

The Phenom X6 1055T is only $20 more expensive, but its a substantial performance gain.

As for video card you could go either GeForce 560i or Radeon 6870, they're both equal, comes down to which brand you like :P

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    If I was you I'd go with the phenom X6 series or the intel 'i' series.

The Phenom X6 1055T is only $20 more expensive, but its a substantial performance gain.

As for video card you could go either GeForce 560i or Radeon 6870, they're both equal, comes down to which brand you like :P
    The 1055t performs a lot worse in games than the 965be.

@OP
    You definitely want to go with a sandy bridge setup... even the i3-2100 crushes the 965BE in games, and you can get the i3-2120 for the same price as the 965be, which is even better.
    If you bump it up to the i5-2500k you'll have the best gaming cpu in existence.
    I'd recommend this motherboard for either of them.. has all the features you could possibly need at a good price.
    For the gpu, a 560ti twin frozr II would be your best bet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Hmm, I'm not sure about a Dual Core though. I was thinking Quad but is the one you said Taek a good CPU? I thought a 560ti would bottleneck a Dual Core CPU playing BF3 since BF3 recommends a Quad.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would be all for an AMD if you didn't drop the SWTOR line. Just like with other MMO's you're probably going to want to make sure that processor is top notch, and AMD's really aren't that for gaming.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Yeah. I'm actually updating this. I'm looking for an Intel CPU now. I've been with Intel forever gaming with no problems. Might as well stay. Disregard the AMD CPU up there. I may get a Dual Core Sandy Bridge. Just doing some research

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptz View Post
    Hmm, I'm not sure about a Dual Core though. I was thinking Quad but is the one you said Taek a good CPU? I thought a 560ti would bottleneck a Dual Core CPU playing BF3 since BF3 recommends a Quad.
    BF3 is one of the few games so far that actually makes good use of extra cores, so getting a quad core is a huge help there.
    That said... the i3-2100/2120 is already good enough that the gpu becomes the bottleneck.
    Pretty much the only cpu's that will bottleneck a gpu in bf3 are dual-core phenom II's or core 2 duo's... or anything worse than that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

On that note... This is what I'm looking at right now for a selection. Without a Motherboard still, I think I'm going to go with the one Taek suggested. How does this look so far?

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, don't get a 560, if you do, get the TI version.

ugh@ripjaws. I'm not sure why people buy those, ugly.

and isn't the Hyper 212+ better than the AC7?

edit: and personally, go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130621

If PCI-E 3.0 ever rears its head and shows itself to be a solid upgrade, you want that option rather than having to replace the board in addition to just the cpu.

If you want to roll the dice and see if you get a great open box deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813130611R
    Last edited by Sephiracle; 2011-11-12 at 11:19 PM.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

I have the first version of the AC7 and it's been working flawlessly for 2 years now so I figured I might as well go with the newer version to fit the socket. I'll check the Hyper 212+ though.

For that board, is it good? I usually base my orders off Newegg reviews for the most part but that's a Motherboard which is important. Just want a good reliable and affordable motherboard. The Gigabyte one I have now has been amazing to me for 2 years, sadly it's outdated heavily. If the $117.99 is a reliable one then I will go with it.

EDIT: I always liked the look of the ripjaws haha, and they are affordable to me too.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the first version of the AC7 and it's been working flawlessly for 2 years now so I figured I might as well go with the newer version to fit the socket. I'll check the Hyper 212+ though.

For that board, is it good? I usually base my orders off Newegg reviews for the most part but that's a Motherboard which is important. Just want a good reliable and affordable motherboard. The Gigabyte one I have now has been amazing to me for 2 years, sadly it's outdated heavily. If the $117.99 is a reliable one then I will go with it.

EDIT: I always liked the look of the ripjaws haha, and they are affordable to me too.
    I currently run a MSI board, and am very happy with it. I only give people crap about the ripjaws, because most people purchase it thinking they need the heatsink when in reality ram doesn't even get that hot and would only do so if you overclock it which does next to nothing outside of benchmarks. Additionally, the sniper series from g.Skill is the exact same ram, just their low profile version.

Yeah I'd like to stick with G.Skill, they've yet to do me wrong. And I know the RAM doesn't get hot so there really isn't a need for a heatsink unless you OC like you said. I was just drawn to the ripjaws.

I was actually looking at your current MB and may stretch and consider that but then again the PCI e 3.0 is in the back of my mind.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

10+ Year Old Account
    I picked my board up just prior to Z68's price coming down, I would've picked one up if the price was there, but I got a good open deal on this board so it was really hard to say no. I'm only offering 3.0 as a suggestion down the road. Being stuck to where you need to upgrade a motherboard usually means you have to replace quite a few things as a result and if 3.0 offers something that 2.0 doesn't then it boils down to whether you saved a bit by going with a cheaper board now and having to buy a new board later, or you spent a little more and got the feature now.

Well on that note, the Z68A-G43 would be a good choice in this situation? I mean, I'd like to already have the PCI e 3.0 if it ever does come around in the near future but the thing that I'm skeptical about is one of the reviews is saying it has weak heatsinks. I'm not looking to OC or anything. I don't OC at all. Just looking for a good board and seeing that this is basically the first of the PCI e 3.0 kind I'm kind of for it and then not for it.

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'm not sure what he's referring to as far as 'weak' heatsinks. I'm not sure I've heard anyone actually complain about the heatsinks on a board before, apart from how ugly some are. Plus, the heatsinks he can only be referring to are on stuff you're not overclocking anyways.

Don't worry about overclocking, you're not buying a processor that can anyways.

yeah OCing is definitely something I'm not even near considering. I just don't want to, never did. I think I'm going to end up going with this board and HOPING it does well with all the other upgrades and I can continue my PC gaming fully

Kryptz 85 Undead Rogue
    Runetotem US
    **RETIRED**

10+ Year Old Account
    and for your video card, what resolution are you running at on your monitor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus, Sabertooth x58, or Asus p8z68, "There are many models of it"

i7 950 or 960 cpu for The Sabertooth, or i7 2500k or 2600k for the p8z68.

For Ram, Kingston ram is just as fast for gamers and much cheaper.
    Also has the lowest heat without using fans.

Use kingston hyperX gen, Tripple channel for Sabertooth, or Dual Channel For the p8z68.

Video Cards, The 5k series cards have been doing better then 6k for amd except for 6990.
    So a 5870 5970, or 6970 6990.

For Nvidia, There are many models of the 580, the best money to performance is the classified 580.
    Take a look at a few models, Classified, ti, mars2, and several liquid and nitrogen cooler models.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't happen to read his post did you? 580 is twice his budget.

Pick up a 560ti, MSI or ASUS version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127565
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121425

10+ Year Old Account
    CPU: Looking. Open to suggestions. Intel only.

I just need help picking a good motherboard that will fit an AM3 socket
    I'm a confused panda. Are you looking for Intel or AMD here?