Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Skyrim Technical Issues

Creating a thread just for technical support problems for Skyrim, since we've had a lot of reports of similar problems, and it's a bit difficult to find potential answers by searching through a megathread.

If you've got an issue or an answer, post it here. For other Skyrim discussion, see the Skyrim Megathread

10+ Year Old Account
    Might just be a bug rather than a technical issue, but sometime the torso of the character models is just an untextured blue model. Anyone else have this issue or no a fix.

For people having skyrim crash on W7 try turning your sound to DvD quality instead of CD quality, fixed my problems.

Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Select the item on the list with the green check in the bottom right corner > Properties > Default Formats > Change to 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)

Instead of posting here people with problems should just go to the skyrim forums...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Instead of posting here people with problems should just go to the skyrim forums...
    Why exactly?

Anyway, they would post a new thread or put it in the megathread regardless of rules the mods set out. This is basically a place for mods to move those threads or people really looking to find a fix on here to ask for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Why exactly?

Anyway, they would post a new thread or put it in the megathread regardless of rules the mods set out. This is basically a place for mods to move those threads or people really looking to find a fix on here to ask for one.
    I dunno but id rather go for tech help from people that actually made the game or just a forum dedicated to it instead of a WoW forums video game section

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I dunno but id rather go for tech help from people that actually made the game or just a forum dedicated to it instead of a WoW forums video game section
    No logic behind that as the official forums doesn't have "people that actually made the game" governing it by giving tips to players posting. It may actually be helpful to post here because on the official forums the threads move so quick that your post gets buried beneath others almost instantly.

Deleted
    By the way, does Skyrim still need tweaking the ini files for hidden optimizations like the fallout games and oblivion?

Deleted
    So I have a problem where Skyrim won't install... When I double click it in steam it launches and I press install, but it just launches again to the same screen and I can't do anything about it. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by DenixBlack View Post
    So I have a problem where Skyrim won't install... When I double click it in steam it launches and I press install, but it just launches again to the same screen and I can't do anything about it. Please help.
    Disable your anti virus' real time protection... May be unrelated, but I had a CD issue like this, and turning off the AV (just for the 3 seconds it takes to launch install.exe) made it work.

-Alamar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    By the way, does Skyrim still need tweaking the ini files for hidden optimizations like the fallout games and oblivion?
    It doesn't need it, but it can improve a few things. PC Gamer wrote up a nice guide for some basic tweaking: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/11/th...-fov-and-more/

I'm sure there are more wide-reaching guides out there, but this one does help a bit.

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Might just be a bug rather than a technical issue, but sometime the torso of the character models is just an untextured blue model. Anyone else have this issue or no a fix.
    I think a game-restart will fix it. For a bit at least. I've had the same problem, only with trees going pink. That looks weird.

this is not a "technical support" issue per se but its technical. for ps3, does anybody know if it is somehow possible to adjust the ridiculously tiny font size? its giving me a huge headache every time i play it to try to read anything.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had a couple of instances of my horse vanishing when I dismounted. Once it happened without me noticing it - just got off to kill some spiders, then when I wanted to go back to the horse it was like it had vanished off the face of the earth. It may have decided to wander off on its own, I guess, but... damn. The second time it happened, I got off to talk to some travellers on the road west of Whiterun, while I'm dismounting the camera stretches off into the distance, then snaps back and the horse is nowhere to be seen. Had to load in both cases. No idea what could be causing it, haven't been able to reproduce it.

(On the subject of horses though, WTB a mod that stops my horse from trying to be a goddamn war hero, charging at dragons and giants the moment I take my eyes off it -_-)
    Peace through love, understanding and superior firepower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm stuck at 27% when downloading, what to do?:>

EDIT: It's 28% and it varies from 5kilobytes to 60kilobytes a second >_>
    Last edited by Macasan; 2011-11-15 at 03:07 PM.

Im having an issue where my game freeze for like 2 seconds when im out in the world (outside of citys, no issue in any citys) its not game breaking and doesnt happen too frequently maybe every 8-10 minutes when im wandering around skyrim. anyone else having this?

Quote Originally Posted by pwnjitsu View Post
    Im having an issue where my game freeze for like 2 seconds when im out in the world (outside of citys, no issue in any citys) its not game breaking and doesnt happen too frequently maybe every 8-10 minutes when im wandering around skyrim. anyone else having this?
    I had that too for a while, but after I stopped and started playing again a few hours later it wasn't happening anymore. I'm guessing yours didn't?

Quote Originally Posted by almalexia View Post
    this is not a "technical support" issue per se but its technical. for ps3, does anybody know if it is somehow possible to adjust the ridiculously tiny font size? its giving me a huge headache every time i play it to try to read anything.
    I know this might not sound constructive, but the only thing you could do is get a better/different TV, most likely. Make sure you use a hdmi-cable etcetra.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    i've been using the following to improve(mostly) and fix some annoyances in Skyrim

http://donotargue.com/cfg-makers/skyrim/ - all settings (that have option) to DNA Ultra Ex and i get 35-45 FPS everywhere.

I have a 128GB SSD, and ATI 6970 + my sig, hopefully ATI releases a new driver optimized for Skyrim soon

Quote Originally Posted by pwnjitsu View Post
    ive got the same issue....its long enough where its not huge for me but very annoying....on the plus side it never crashes just pauses from loading textures i think altho not sure. i have settings on low and using a 8800gts

also i get turbo speed sometimes when i load into places, happens randomly, and i have to restart steam/skyrim to get back to normal speed sometimes....this is related to dual core ithink since it happened a long time ago from farcry altho it shouldnt be happening since i loaded some patch for it back then

Quote Originally Posted by Macasan View Post
    I'm stuck at 27% when downloading, what to do?:>

EDIT: It's 28% and it varies from 5kilobytes to 60kilobytes a second >_>
    I don't know where you live, but you could try a different download server. It has helped for me at times. You can change it in the Download tab in Settings.