Is the current Sith Empire truly evil?

I think that the people of the Sith aren't evil per se. I just finished watching that timeline on the holonet and in the earlier entries it says that the Sith helped each other with self sacrifice etc. I don't think the Sith are pure evil, just some of their 'villains'. The current Emperor has proved calculating rather than guns blazing and seems to take heed and not sacrifice his troops needlessly. Perhaps he ultimately wants to find peace. Think of the Sith Emperor currently as Thrall (sort of) and all its past, villainous leaders as Garrosh.

Tbh, the Republic's done some dog acts such as exterminating all the 'True' Sith in the Great Hyperspace War or whatever it was called. That genocide is pretty evil in my books. Also abandoning some systems when the Sith was threatening their core worlds was a weak effort.

With regards to the specific codes, Jedi and Sith; I don't think it's possible to have an 'evil' Jedi and 'good' Sith. They're pretty much cults and thinking any differently from the rules would mean instant exile. However the two factions are definitely not 'good' or 'bad'.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2011-11-13 at 08:19 AM.
    this game sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware stated that this Sith empire is evil. So yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Posting here to let people know, once again, that per say, is not a valid term.
    It's per se.
    L2Latin kthx.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    It's per se.
    L2Latin kthx.
    I was going to say the same thing, but I thought I'd sound like a douche.

On topic, what is evil or not is in the eyes of the beholder. In the traditional sense of the word, however, they are evil. No doubt about it. What they do and the actions they take are done for no reason other than to further progress the Sith Empire. They have no regard for anyone but themselves, and will stop at nothing to continue their dominance.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    I was going to say the same thing, but I thought I'd sound like a douche.

On topic, what is evil or not is in the eyes of the beholder. In the traditional sense of the word, however, they are evil. No doubt about it. What they do and the actions they take are done for no reason other than to further progress the Sith Empire. They have no regard for anyone but themselves, and will stop at nothing to continue their dominance.
    But isn't that what the republic does as well? Killing the empire to assert their dominance without regard for their people?

I suppose you could argue that it's just eliminating a threat.

It's per se.
    L2Latin kthx.
    A simple 'it's per se' would have sufficed. You know Latin, good for you. I don't and I don't plan to learn it.
    Last edited by rektbrah; 2011-11-13 at 08:23 AM.
    this game sucks

I am Dark Lord Raisins of the Current Sith Empire.

Evil is a point of view, the Sith don't regard themselves as evil; The Jedi do. The majority of the Sith are there for personal gain, power. Even Honour for their houses (If you're a Sith Pureblood)

It's per se.
    L2Latin kthx.
    Silly billy language! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI8UZubOJlo

On Topic though, they've stated multiple times, even as recent as in the Troopver vs. Inquisitor video that the Sith ARE evil. From whatever point of view you want to spin it, it's been said.

They better be "truly evil". It's the only reason am playing one.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...75#edit5397475

TL;DR The sith empire on the whole is evil by our moral standards. However you can play as someone who understands why they are, or even as someone trying to change them for the better.

Deleted
    since the options to be lightside, I imagine its a little more complex than good vs evil.

The Sith are evil. People serving the Sith aren't necessarily evil.

My IA will be a true force of the Empire, but I will bow to no Sith!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

The sith are organized and loyal to each other because they find strength in such. They only respect strength. They are evil.

They invaded the Republic back in Ye Olden Days, they have fostered evil ever since. In theory, if the Republic hadn't tried to wipe them out after gaining the upper hand, maybe things wouldn't have come to this, but in practice... nyah, evil.

The Republic is disorganized, and has a lot about personal freedoms and trying to balance the interests of many and varied races. I'd say they're Chaotic Good in that sense. The sith being Lawful Evil.

The empire didn't take them to a new world to regain their strength for itself, he did it to return to and destroy the Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    what is evil or not is in the eyes of the beholder.
    This. Going further back in the timeline it's easy to see how the Sith can see the Jedi as evil. They are greatly fanatical, regarding any and all ways of the Force that conflict with theirs as improper, while turning a blind eye to conflicts they are more than capable of resolving (illegal dealings both inside and outside the Republic).

On the other hand, the Sith are extremely self centered, with each member putting themselves ahead of anyone else, while resorting to a brutal regime that rules by force. Betrayal is a constant, and positions of power are highly fought over.

It all depends on who you'd rather play.
    "Imagine coming across a mentally disabled person who was not only drunk, high, but had a full frontal lobotomy leaving little to no intelligence left in their body.

He would be NORMAL, compared to me."

The Sith - Peace through ultimate control
    The Republic - Freedom (to be douchebags).

That is the essential difference between the two ideologies.

Or, as my main man Castiel would say, "What would you rather have, Peace or Freedom?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

I do not perceive them as evil, simply because terms such as "good," "evil," "right" and "wrong" do not stand subject to universal truth conditions at all. They just describe societal conventions and personal preference.

That's of course just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Nev12; 2011-11-14 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's per se.
    L2Latin kthx.
    Yes, let us all study a dead language nobody uses anymore. It's so productive and proves I'm smarter than everyone else!

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 12:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    The sith are organized and loyal to each other
    Nay, sith murder each other to gain ranks in the dark council.

The Empire is analogous to Nazi German as this is the motif the Empire is based on since the inception of Star Wars. The Nazi hierarchy was rationally evil, but not all German soldiers/citizen were evil by any means.

This is true of the fictional Empire presented as well. There are citizens/soldiers under the service of the Empire which are not wholly evil. But the government, leadership and Imperial goals are absolutely, unequivocally evil. Purely.

Also, when you play the game the choices presented to service the Empire are unbiasedly evil- genocide, mass murder, enslavement, extortion and selfishness. Often giving Dark Side points for such as well.