Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"I got a beta email and don't understand it. Help!" Informational thread

Update: the testing is Nov 25-28. The client will probably be available at the start of next week.

This is to help you understand what's happening.

There is a TL;DR version at the bottom.

The email:

Greetings <snip>,

Your account has been selected to participate in an upcoming Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Beta Weekend Test. If you have previously tested or are currently participating in an ongoing test, you will be invited again. Additional details for this upcoming test will be announced soon.

As part of this test, we will be partnering with games industry sites to distribute additional beta codes as necessary. This will help ensure we meet our population goals, so we can effectively stress test our servers in preparation for launch. Please do not acquire and redeem one of these codes as it could jeopardize your ability to participate in this test.

As a reminder, should you choose to participate, everything associated with this test (game information, process, forums communication, etc.) is confidential and may not be discussed outside of the Game Testing forum. Additionally, your participation in the Game Testing Program is subject to the Game Testing Agreement.

May the Force be with you,
    The Star Wars: The Old Republic Team
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600715

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=600760

Updated the original post with a couple of more FAQ answers from this thread.

To answer other queries: for those of you who have been emailed this afternoon, as the email says, you have been selected to test in an upcoming Beta Test Weekend (which this FAQ refers to). You will be invited - and be able to download the client - closer to the upcoming weekend.

In other words, there are two Testing Weekends currently on the calendar. This weekend (11th-13th of November) for which invites have already been sent. You can tell if you have an invite to this weekend by the fact that the email has those dates in it.

Everyone who is signed up to test is eligible for the upcoming Beta Testing Weekend, and notification on when you can download the game client will be sent closer to the weekend's start.
    You'll be able to play in the next Beta Test Weekend - but we haven't announced that date, yet. Whenever it is, you'll play in it. As it says in the FAQ, we're expecting this future weekend to be the last Beta Testing Weekend.
    When we started our Beta Testing Weekends, we told you that each weekend would include more testers than the last. We’re excited to announce that later this month we will be conducting our largest Beta Testing Weekend yet, specifically designed to help us stress test our servers in preparation for the launch of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

How can you take part in this coming Beta Test Weekend? Well, for starters we are happy to announce that anyone who has signed up for our Game Testing Program prior to today, November 11th, will get invited! Invites will be sent in the coming weeks.
    TL;DR:
    Everyone that signed up for game testing before Nov 11th is invited to the next beta weekend to stress test.
    More info, such as when, will be given later.
    When this info is available, you will also learn when you can begin downloading the client.
    Origin is not used at all for this.
    We don't know anymore info at this time.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-17 at 07:29 PM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Informational, this thread is. Mhh.

Deleted
    i got this email, will definetly be hoping on for the beta, see if the game is as good as people are saying and consider whether i may start playing it

15+ Year Old Account
    Stickied in hopes people actually read stickies(Hint: They don't) rather than start new threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dev quote:

Hi all,

Just a reminder that if you were a registered member of our website on or before November 11th, 2011, you will be invited to the future weekend test. Regardless of whether you received an email last week or not, please do not take beta keys off of any external websites if you are already a registered member of our site. Let's leave them for the more needy, please.

15+ Year Old Account
    So what im wondering, is there already a installer that i can download so i can start right away when my beta is active?

Cause if 1 zillion people will be downloading it on the same time, i have a bad feeling it will take ages xD

And yes ive read the TLDR, but maybe there is a downloader already.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Zushakon View Post
    So what im wondering, is there already a installer that i can download so i can start right away when my beta is active?

Cause if 1 zillion people will be downloading it on the same time, i have a bad feeling it will take ages xD

And yes ive read the TLDR, but maybe there is a downloader already.
    I second this although I have a prety good download speed i fear that won't help me when a gazilion people try to download it at the same time.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by methus View Post
    I second this although I have a prety good download speed i fear that won't help me when a gazilion people try to download it at the same time.
    Then again, this mass downloading might be one of the things they want to test for launch prep.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinjersey View Post
    Then again, this mass downloading might be one of the things they want to test for launch prep.
    Could be although reading through the swtor forum we might have to download the entire thing then simply due to the fact that allot of things will be added or so they said in the faq.
    "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." Muhammad Ali

Deleted
    Is there no method of peer-2-peer DL of client? It wouldn't really matter how many gazillion people were DL'ing then, the more the merrier tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will let you know when you can download it. This is a stress test, and part of that test probably has to do with a couple million people downloading it.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-16 at 09:43 PM.

yeah, i thought it is a test either, and let you know when it can be download.

I cant update mine off Origin, or even the launcher itself. I participated in last weekends Beta test, so I already have it on my comp. I am pretty sure DLing is restricted to when u are invited and your account is flagged.

From my experience: It took me a little more than like 8 hrs to DL it. I started it at 9amish and it didn't finish until well into the evening. DL speed was like 900 kb/s untill like noon when it slowed to 300ish kb/s. This was not my net either, my standered rate is 1mb/s or more. Have no fear, you will be notified a day or 2 in advance so you can DL it np.
    Gold selling site spam is an important part of our eco system.

You see, there are currently to many puppies and kittens on this world.
    Every time a Goldseller spams his advertisement on the mmo-champion site, a puppy dies.
    Every time you ignore these threads and don't report them, a kitten dies.

I also was in last weekends beta test.

I just got an email today from Bioware with a key for this upcoming weekend test, but the swtor.com site is currently down

I'd like to ask about an EA email I recieved today:

As a special thank you for pre-ordering Star Wars: The Old Republic from Origin, we're giving you two Beta Codes for you and a friend to play together in the upcoming Beta! Hurry, codes must be redeemed by 11/18/11.

[Beta code 1] [Beta code 2]
    How it works:
    1. Share one of the enclosed Beta Codes, along with these instructions, with a friend who might like the game.

2. Log in to your Star Wars: The Old Republic account or create a new one and opt in to the Game Testing Program. Your participation in the Game Testing Program is subject to the Game Testing Agreement.

3. Redeem your Beta code before 11:59 PM CST on 11/18/11.

4. You will receive an invitation to the Beta at a later date. Be sure to add the address noreply@bioware.swtor.com to your safe senders list so you get the invite.
    this looks legit, but I want to make sure. I don't know where to input these codes that were given to me.

EDIT: nevermind, seems it's legit. I went to the code redemption page and entered it, and it came up as
    You are now registered for the following items:
    STAR WARS: The Old Republic BETA Test (Event 1)
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-11-18 at 02:46 AM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got an email right before last week's beta, but didn't get anything on the ToR page or any links to a client download, the only links on the email sent me to the official site and the NDA.

hey guys little question, i got a beta code from PCgamer, the swtor twitter channel said that in PCgamer u could get one and i got it, on the mail that they send me with the code it says that i have to put the code on the swtor site, i go there but there is nowhere to put a code, any1 knows where i have to put it?

When is the 'STAR WARS: The Old Republic BETA Test (Event 1)' even?
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny story: I got a weekend beta invite last week but didn't check my e-mail til the following monday, so I missed it. Problem, people who have been waiting for months?
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    Funny story: I got a weekend beta invite last week but didn't check my e-mail til the following monday, so I missed it. Problem, people who have been waiting for months?
    Check your email everyday? Takes 5 seconds.