Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
2
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #221
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    This is the main problem i face, I stopped buying console games a few years back because I would blow through them in a few days to a few weeks...only one lasted me more than a month. If I can get more than a month of entertainment out of it I'd say it is worth the cost. That said, I'm not a huge SW fan (I like it, just not a true 'fan') so the brand name is not a selling point for me.
    You're not really giving console games a fair shake. They do have a small amount of resell value if you go the gamestop route, and better cash but more hassle if you go the ebay route. When you look at it that way consoles are a better value, but that doesn't make monthly sub type games worthless either.

  2. #222
    Scarab Lord zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in teh USSR
    Posts
    4,136
    To all the people "applauding" f2p games:

    Have a stab at League of Legends guys. If you think the community in WoW is horrible, you ain't seen nothing yet.

    The sub keeps out at least SOME of the riff-raff, and as I can easily afford it, I have no problem with it.

    If it assures I have less out of control kids that recently learned new swear words playing my game - I'm all for it.

    LoL and its forums are a stream of unstoppable and non-moderatable racial slurs, insults and moronic arguments. The WoW boards look like heaven in comparison.

    The game itself makes WoW seem absolutely tame. The matches are filled with quitters, afkers, people who grief their own team, trash talk and swear, there are people who don't know English or refuse to speak it, there are people who log on to the game simply to troll others.

    And this is not the minority of matches, but the MAJORITY, and I'm not exaggerating. And this is a game where everything depends on your teammates, since it's 100% PvP. There's no AoE grindfest of 5 mans once you overgear them. You get 1-2 retards in your team and you've already failed.

    In WoW I could often log on alone and do either PvE or PvP with random people. In LoL I no longer log on without my friends. Ever. The frustration just outweighs the fun by a million.

    So give me a break and wake up to reality.

    F2P games have a huge downside.

    And I really find the argument itself quite pointless. Sacrificing 3-4 beers a month is worth it for me if it makes my social experience in an MMO at least a tad more tolerable.

    I spent 4.5 bucks on a latte yesterday. And we're talking about a monthly fee of 15.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-16 at 10:54 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

  3. #223
    The Lightbringer jvbastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Flanders
    Posts
    3,571
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    To all the people "applauding" f2p games:

    Have a stab at League of Legends guys. If you think the community in WoW is horrible, you ain't seen nothing yet.

    The sub keeps out at least SOME of the riff-raff, and as I can easily afford it, I have no problem with it.

    If it assures I have less out of control kids that recently learned new swear words playing my game - I'm all for it.

    LoL and its forums are a stream of unstoppable and non-moderatable racial slurs, insults and moronic arguments. The WoW boards look like heaven in comparison.

    The game itself makes WoW seem absolutely tame. The matches are filled with quitters, afkers, people who grief their own team, trash talk and swear, there are people who don't know English or refuse to speak it, there are people who log on to the game simply to troll others.

    And this is not the minority of matches, but the MAJORITY, and I'm not exaggerating. And this is a game where everything depends on your teammates, since it's 100% PvP. There's no AoE grindfest of 5 mans once you overgear them. You get 1-2 retards in your team and you've already failed.

    In WoW I could often log on alone and do either PvE or PvP with random people. In LoL I no longer log on without my friends. Ever. The frustration just outweighs the fun by a million.

    So give me a break and wake up to reality.

    F2P games have a huge downside.
    non-free moba game communities are just as hostile as Lol's fyi.

    Been playing eden eternal a bit lately, no problem there. Vindictus, community was fine. Aoc,lotro,D&D, met some friendly people

    In dcuo (apart from the masses of ganking, which is kinda supported in the game ) it looks just fine.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

  4. #224
    I had a chance this weekend to play it over the beta server stress testing and for the most part, I really enjoyed it. I would consider buying it but the problem for me was that it was really sluggish on my computer. So I'm hoping it was more server side issues than it was my machine handling the game, but I'm willing to bet my machine probably just cant handle it very well. And I did reduce the settings as much as possible. But if the retail somehow plays decent on my box then I'd get it. The little I played was entertaining.

  5. #225
    Scarab Lord zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in teh USSR
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    non-free moba game communities are just as hostile as Lol's fyi.

    Been playing eden eternal a bit lately, no problem there. Vindictus, community was fine. Aoc,lotro,D&D, met some friendly people

    In dcuo (apart from the masses of ganking, which is kinda supported in the game ) it looks just fine.
    Hm I played DDO (I'm assuming this is what you mean by D&D) and didn't notice too much trolls/flamers.

    But then again I spent most of my time soloing stuff with a friend.

    Plus you have to realize that the DnD factor filters out all the impatient trigger happy kiddies who grew up on the modern FPS games and console slashers.

    I'm still not convinced as to any benefits from F2P. It opens the gates that can't be closed.

    I'd rather pay the sub.

    The only problem I have is when the game goes the way of WoW - becoming unimaginably greedy and shoving the virtual store and automated services down everyone's throats in a game with an existing sub.

    There recently was a topic about server x-fers in TOR and many people said the same thing (including me): the best model seems an x-fer with a long cooldown with a possibility to pay money to reset it once in a while.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-16 at 11:00 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

  6. #226
    The monthly fee is pretty much one of the main reasons im not going to be playing the game. That coupled with it not being enough of a change from Wow. Its not that cant afford being subbed to Wow and Star Wars, it just seems a waste of money.

    With Skyrim, 4.3 in Wow, and Diablo 3 round the corner i just cant justify shelling out the cost of the game, and another 9 quid a month for it.

    If it was free to play, then i would play it without a doubt.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world."
    — J.R.R. Tolkien

  7. #227
    Elemental Lord Polarthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,065
    If you haven't gotten skyrim yet, I'd say get skyrim. Easy 300+ hours if you plan to do EVERYTHING.

    I'm 40 hours into the game and barely touched anything. Did the main questline and a few of the guild questlines, but I still have a long way to go.

    Progression pre-nerfed: [T17] 6/7H; 0/10N

  8. #228
    If you quit WoW because of its fundamental mechanics (the structure of endgame, hotkey gameplay, etc.), then you will not like Swtor. If you quit WoW because of the recent expansion, but still love its core design, then you'll love Swtor.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

  9. #229
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,816
    F2P MMOs are the worst. I hope SWTOR never becomes one.

  10. #230
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    As other people have iterated here you get a month free when you buy the game. If after your first month you don't like it then you can simply walk away from it like you would any other game. 60 bucks for a game to last me an entire month is a pretty good actually. Even Skyrim (which is excellent btw) ill have beat this weekend.

  11. #231
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    As other people have iterated here you get a month free when you buy the game. If after your first month you don't like it then you can simply walk away from it like you would any other game. 60 bucks for a game to last me an entire month is a pretty good actually. Even Skyrim (which is excellent btw) ill have beat this weekend.
    I agree, $60 for a months enjoyment is pretty good. However, you can't "beat" Skyrim by this weekend. Not if you did everything. It's impossible.

  12. #232
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I agree, $60 for a months enjoyment is pretty good. However, you can't "beat" Skyrim by this weekend. Not if you did everything. It's impossible.
    Not really. Game is massive for sure but if one were unemployed and ate slept and drank at the pc one could finish it by the weekend. Even if not then ill have the main story complete and most of the side stories as well. Take me 2 weeks to finish it tops. Its rare I get a months entertainment value out of a game either way you look at it. Starcraft 2 would be the last one I guess.

  13. #233
    Scarab Lord zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in teh USSR
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    I agree, $60 for a months enjoyment is pretty good. However, you can't "beat" Skyrim by this weekend. Not if you did everything. It's impossible.
    I seriously doubt the average gamer will do "everything."

    I've been playing PC games for 13 years now, including some very lengthy/large ones, yet even I don't plan on exploring every nook and cranny of Skyrim. It's just too tedious. There's lots of interesting things, but also lots of generic caves with generic monsters. I'll settle for the bigger quest-lines and all the random stuff that's not too far out of my way.

    What's the point in killing every draugr in the game if you're not an obsessive perfectionist (which I assure you most modern gamers are not, as many of the younger ones grew up on games that have the campaign length of 6 to 8 hours).
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

  14. #234
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I seriously doubt the average gamer will do "everything."

    I've been playing PC games for 13 years now, including some very lengthy/large ones, yet even I don't plan on exploring every nook and cranny of Skyrim. It's just too tedious. There's lots of interesting things, but also lots of generic caves with generic monsters. I'll settle for the bigger quest-lines and all the random stuff that's not too far out of my way.

    What's the point in killing every draugr in the game if you're not an obsessive perfectionist (which I assure you most modern gamers are not, as many of the younger ones grew up on games that have the campaign length of 6 to 8 hours).
    It depends. I've been playing pc games since commander keen and even earlier than that Maniac Mansion. I can tell you I did EVERYTHING in both dragon ages and mass effect 1. They were so damned good. Some people are achievement and trophy ocd freaks who will chase that positive reinforcement as much as possible. The "average gamer" however is such a poorly defined and vague archetype that its hard to say what they would or wouldn't do. In the end 60 dollars is still a great return for entertainment value, especially if you consider the fact that you may end up loving swtor and get your next months entertainment budget for 15 bucks.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-17 at 12:06 AM ----------

    I got a buddy in my wow guild. He doesn't raid hardcore, hes not a theory crafting geek and hes not topping the WoL charts. In fact he barely plays anymore. He did however chase his insane title. Is he an "average gamer"?

  15. #235
    Scarab Lord zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in teh USSR
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    It depends. I've been playing pc games since commander keen and even earlier than that Maniac Mansion. I can tell you I did EVERYTHING in both dragon ages and mass effect 1. They were so damned good. Some people are achievement and trophy ocd freaks who will chase that positive reinforcement as much as possible. The "average gamer" however is such a poorly defined and vague archetype that its hard to say what they would or wouldn't do. In the end 60 dollars is still a great return for entertainment value, especially if you consider the fact that you may end up loving swtor and get your next months entertainment budget for 15 bucks.

    ---------- Post added 2011-11-17 at 12:06 AM ----------

    I got a buddy in my wow guild. He doesn't raid hardcore, hes not a theory crafting geek and hes not topping the WoL charts. In fact he barely plays anymore. He did however chase his insane title. Is he an "average gamer"?


    I did everything in both DA and ME games. Many times over (2 playthroughs through each of those games).

    But they aren't Skyrim.

    Skyrim has a huge world that you have to walk over (or ride over on a horse) and a BUTTLOAD of generic or semi generic dungeons/caves whatevs.

    I won't be doing side quests and exploration in Skyrim to the level I did with more guided and less sandboxy games like Dragon Age.

    The game itself is very good, I like it a lot so far, but saying that doing "everything" in it is the same as doing "everything" in DA1 is simply invalid.

    And don't compare MMOs to this.

    First of all, your buddy is an exception. No point in debating that.

    And second, the drive to do "everything" of the minor things in WoW is much higher, firstly because of the "I'm building my character in a persistent world with other players" factor and secondly because many non-raiders or burnt-out raiders don't have much to do, but still feel compelled to log on and do something.

    I never would have gotten 90% into Loremaster (goddamn Cata quest reset!) if my guild wasn't done raiding ICC and I still had a couple months 'til the new expac.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

  16. #236
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,801
    Sorry I didn't mean to de-rail this thread. Lets get it back on track before I get another infraction lol.

  17. #237
    Scarab Lord zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Back in teh USSR
    Posts
    4,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamburger View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean to de-rail this thread. Lets get it back on track before I get another infraction lol.
    Nah, you won't get an infraction for such a silly, minor thing.

    I've done it tons of times and I.... wait... what's that sound? No, no, not the hammer! Please, not the hammer!

    *runs off into the distance screaming*
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

  18. #238
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    I did everything in both DA and ME games. Many times over (2 playthroughs through each of those games).

    But they aren't Skyrim.

    Skyrim has a huge world that you have to walk over (or ride over on a horse) and a BUTTLOAD of generic or semi generic dungeons/caves whatevs.

    I won't be doing side quests and exploration in Skyrim to the level I did with more guided and less sandboxy games like Dragon Age.

    The game itself is very good, I like it a lot so far, but saying that doing "everything" in it is the same as doing "everything" in DA1 is simply invalid.

    And don't compare MMOs to this.

    First of all, your buddy is an exception. No point in debating that.

    And second, the drive to do "everything" of the minor things in WoW is much higher, firstly because of the "I'm building my character in a persistent world with other players" factor and secondly because many non-raiders or burnt-out raiders don't have much to do, but still feel compelled to log on and do something.

    I never would have gotten 90% into Loremaster (goddamn Cata quest reset!) if my guild wasn't done raiding ICC and I still had a couple months 'til the new expac.
    I was told the same thing about Oblivion and Morrowind. I did 95% of the crap in both. Like odd things here and there in Oblivion I didn't do. I didn't close every single oblivion gate I ran across as an example. Look nobody is arguing that they aren't huge worlds, they are. Fallout was as well. You can still accomplish almost all the stuff in the game in the space of two weeks give or take depending on your RL circumstances.

    Its true skyrim/oblivion/morrowind are definetly longer and theirs more to do but I suppose the feeling of longevity in more linear games like DA comes from the tight story and direction. I dont know it just felt like I did and accomplished alot in those games even if it wasn't on the same scale as Oblivion or Skyrim.

    As for "I'm building my character in a persistent world with other players", I don't think that makes a lick of difference. For my buddy at any rate it wasn't in relation to anyone else. I find it hard to believe peoples egos are that tied to a video game that they must commit themselves to mindless grinding for weeks and weeks on end for a virtual gain in a virtual world. Hell all you got was a tittle if I remember correctly. Some people are just completionists who set themselves about a task and must finish it.

  19. #239
    Pandaren Monk Shamburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Nah, you won't get an infraction for such a silly, minor thing.

    I've done it tons of times and I.... wait... what's that sound? No, no, not the hammer! Please, not the hammer!

    *runs off into the distance screaming*
    Oh zealous my friend, I speak my mind too often, the infractions add up. 3 points here 5 points there.... You know how it is.

  20. #240
    Scarab Lord Trollsbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    4,484
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Nah, you won't get an infraction for such a silly, minor thing.

    I've done it tons of times and I.... wait... what's that sound? No, no, not the hammer! Please, not the hammer!

    *runs off into the distance screaming*
    Here's how I roll!




    My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •