Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    100% worth the price on the box if you play quite a bit your first month (and you will.). After that, I'm not sold yet - I'll absolutely buy it, but since not much is known about the end game as of yet I can't tell if I'll be playing past the free 30.

Deleted
    to answer the question shortly: yes, it is.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    This is the main problem i face, I stopped buying console games a few years back because I would blow through them in a few days to a few weeks...only one lasted me more than a month. If I can get more than a month of entertainment out of it I'd say it is worth the cost. That said, I'm not a huge SW fan (I like it, just not a true 'fan') so the brand name is not a selling point for me.
    I am kinda like you. Not a mega star wars fan, but I do enjoy it. Having played the beta last weekend, I can tell you I went from "hmm this game is starting to look interesting" to "I will take random things from my house to the pawn shop in order to get the money to play this game"(money is tight right now). Also has made logging in WoW each day 10x harder on non raid nights. So yeah, get the game

It's worth it to me, but I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    It's worth it to me, but I'm a pretty big Star Wars fan.
    "But"?
    But! Let's see it this way: IF you are a Star Wars fan AND you like it, then it must be good!
    "I look bigger in those mirrors where things look bigger."

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Exactly what I was saying but I am now sad to hear that operations are missing what really gives the game personality. That actually makes the endgame less appealing, personally.

Still looking for someone to justify 15/mth versus B2P/F2P.
    The sub fee won't be justifiable until we start seeing how fast they pump out content, and whether that content lives up to the standards of the rest of the game. That's the risk of any sub-based MMO.

Operations missing dialogue isn't that huge a deal to me. To me, Flashpoints are little branches in the road, where something happens and you have to deal with it. You've got the leeway to act there.

Operations are more focused, much larger undertakings that will have much more oversight. You won't be able to act on your own whims, you're going to have to get things done for your faction.

If you look at it like that, the lack of morality choices and dialogue options in Operations makes perfect sense.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have been in beta for some time now, and it kills me all the work i am doing on my toons will be for not when early access starts, BUT, i preordered the day it became available (DDL), i adore this game, and i will stop playing when my Sorcerer kills the emperor and takes her rightful place on the throne (not spoilers, just what i want to see).

Cancelling wow this month, as my wife is done with it, and TOR will take ALL my game time. December 15th won't come soon enough!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem paying a sub fee. It's cutting a couple coffees, beers, cigs, or whatever vices you have for a month of unlimited entertainment that is cheaper than pretty much any form of entertainment you could go and have. I have no problem making a company rich if they are giving me what I want.

There's something about the FTP model that bugs me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just don't like it. When games go FTP, it's because they are failing pretty hard. When games start as FTP, it's because they are making money (sometimes even more) for things that I don't feel I should pay for. Things like more than 4 character slots, more classes, more available content, etc, imo, should just be in the game. I'd rather pay a sub than have to buy this stuff on the fly.

I don't have any figures to back up my opinion, but buying stuff in game that is already included in a sub based game, on top of expansions and more things to buy, I feel I'm paying almost as much as a sub, and some people might even pay more. It makes me feel like they have a few different games, and based on the amount you pay, you get an upgraded game. I'd rather play the full game that everyone else has.

I'm sure all this stuff can be countered, but I don't really care. That's how I feel. FTP sounds like some underhanded fine print corporate scheme more than a good thing for me.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I have no problem paying a sub fee. It's cutting a couple coffees, beers, cigs, or whatever vices you have for a month of unlimited entertainment that is cheaper than pretty much any form of entertainment you could go and have. I have no problem making a company rich if they are giving me what I want.

There's something about the FTP model that bugs me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just don't like it. When games go FTP, it's because they are failing pretty hard. When games start as FTP, it's because they are making money (sometimes even more) for things that I don't feel I should pay for. Things like more than 4 character slots, more classes, more available content, etc, imo, should just be in the game. I'd rather pay a sub than have to buy this stuff on the fly.

I don't have any figures to back up my opinion, but buying stuff in game that is already included in a sub based game, on top of expansions and more things to buy, I feel I'm paying almost as much as a sub, and some people might even pay more. It makes me feel like they have a few different games, and based on the amount you pay, you get an upgraded game. I'd rather play the full game that everyone else has.

I'm sure all this stuff can be countered, but I don't really care. That's how I feel. FTP sounds like some underhanded fine print corporate scheme more than a good thing for me.
    I dont like F2P because it generally means B2W and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but I will already bought the game preordered for early access etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    I don't have any figures to back up my opinion, but buying stuff in game that is already included in a sub based game, on top of expansions and more things to buy, I feel I'm paying almost as much as a sub, and some people might even pay more.
    This immediately reminded me of this comic:

Don't get me wrong. I love LoL. I love that I can play the game for free and enjoy myself as I see fit. However, some of their pricing schemes are a bit ridiculous...

It depends on what you get for your sub fee. So far I haven't found a game that uses a sub payment model that was worth it. I much prefer a buy to play model (like every game not an mmo uses).

I don't mind MTs with or without subs as long as they are just cosmetic. Charge $100 for a revan mask, it doesn't affect me 1 bit if people want to spend money to make themselves look different.
    The thing that bothers me about F2P games is that they promote annoying gameplay, because they can make a lot of money selling ways to avoid those annoying parts. Take lotro for example, not enough quests to hit max level? Should have bought xp boosters in the store. Mobs stunning you too often (every gdam time the dr is up)? Should by stun removal potions from the store. Don't want to kill 360 wolves for a small permanent stat boost? Buy it in the store. You died? You could rez all the way back on the other side of the zone or you could buy a rez at the store. Don't want to take an hour to take taxis across our gigantic world? Buy swift travel from the store for the taxi, or just instant teleport abilities from the store.
    I think you get the idea .

10+ Year Old Account
    most people using the "f2p is usually b2p" thing should play more f2p games. In most of them, this just isn't true. In most of them, the stuff you can buy is extra character slots, xp potions,extra content, or weapon skins. XP potions you can basically buy in wow (RAF yourself). Extra content you have to buy in wow as well ever expansion.

I've been playing f2p games since before I played WoW, and had a good experience with most of them. It's a great payment model for both the customer and the developer.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

IMO its well worth it, but like someone else said, get a key for the next beta, wich should probably be the weekend after thanksgiving or the next.
    I was looking forwar to the game to start with, got into last weekends beta, and now im like an addict wanting my next fix...glad i already have it pre ordered.

Deleted
    in the uk its £8.99 iirc a month.

pack of cigs is close to £5 atm a night out costs £30+ sometimes. so £9 for the rest of the nights spent at home isnt that large.

Unpopular opinion but I feel SWTOR should be B2P/F2P.

1. There is no way they came produce a justifiable stream of content (worth the sub price) while keeping up to their standard of quality (voice acting/story/environment/etc)

2. Market it as a single player game with a MMORPG attached. SWTORs downfall will be its endgame, please will abandon a game and not look back because of lack of endgame even if the leveling experience is fun. WoW has a dedicated endgame crowd and Bioware can't release endgame content at the rate Trion does. To remedy this they make the game B2P and release endgame in episodes, charging per episode. This will keep players returning without feeling like they are paying $15/mth to hang around and wait. Same goes with releasing new post leveling storyarcs that don't involve raiding and dungeons. A lot of people are paying just for the leveling experience and then leaving. They aren't going to drop 15/mth for 2 days worth of new content in a patch but will pay $5-$15 for it for permanent access and will continue to do so as long as the episodic content keeps coming out.

3. So much potential for cosmetics. Armors, droids, lightsaber designs, skins, ship models, you name it. All they have to do is take the LoL approach to skins

4. It feels like DCUO (don't shoot me).

5. Star Wars fans are willing to pay a premium for Star Wars merchandise. Its not taking advantage of them if you are producing quality goods.

6. The P2P model is on its way out. The majority of upcoming MMORPGS are going F2P, Freemium, or B2P. WoW justifies its P2P model by sheer numbers and Rift does it by the amount of content it puts out. Its a dead model. At some point in the future games will make a mass exodus to these B2P/F2P games with the attitude why pay a subscript free when I can get the same or close to the same deal with this other game.
    I.....actually agree.

Except change #4 from DCUO to Aion.

No I'm not calling it a failure. It's not an NCSOFT Asian grindfest, no. But...

......remember back, back to Aion. Remember that zone called Verteron? It was the Elyos 10-20 zone.

Remember how, the zone was pretty much this:

....Town
    Town Town
    ....Town

Now draw lines between each Hub, like a circle. Those lines represent the tiny tracts of land, or 'roads' that NCSOFT put between the Hubs. Problem is, in between were mountains, not open space. One had a giant cliff, if you jumped you died!

See, the problem with Verteron is that to me, it seemed like you were riding a roller coaster between every quest hub. There was no alternate route. There weren't really side quests. Just the cart you 'rode' while going through Aion's 10-20 campaign.

It was pretty much, NCSOFT forced you to ride the Verteron Mine Cart, or you didn't hit level 25, didn't go to the Abyss, didn't......

Now change the game. To Rift.

Remember how each side had only one path from 1 to ~30? If you were Defiant you HAD to go do Freemarch, then Stonefield, then Scarlet Gorge. You had to or you couldn't quest. Yeah you could do BGs, but if you didn't like PvP you couldn't level till the first dungeons unlocked at ~level 16. There was no choice. Every time you made a Kelari or Eth you followed the same path. X to Y to Z. Not X or Y, to Z or A or B, to C to D to E like in WoW.

It burns you out. What fun is Freemarch for the 4th time?

Now to put it in context. What fun is a game if you HAVE to follow the story? What if I don't feel like following the story? I don't like PvP, so take the Warzones out. You're stuck grinding mobs in a 'dungeon' or forcing yourself to follow a story when, in WoW, there is usually ~4 stories for your level. Not one for every Mage, one for every Shaman....

Yes you could make an alt, but again, you're following that Mine Cart Road in Verteron. You can't get off the story. You can't get away.

You can't get lost in a World when the map has been set before you. The is no World in SWTOR because it's all just a connect the dots. 1->2->3->4.....

In the end, in a game that throws about how everything in it is a 'choice,' ultimately, you do not have one.

So, I got off the Mine Cart.
    Last edited by willowe; 2011-11-16 at 11:00 PM.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    If by "LoL" you mean humor, then yes.
    He means League of Legends. F2P MOBA game, loosely based on DoTA from WC3.

It's free but all the champions are bought for either money or in-game points that take a long while to grind. There are also various skins for those champions.

The game has been pretty successful so far. ~3 million accounts, but since they f2p that's not a comparable statistics to WoW since people don't feel obliged to play all the time since they're not paying a sub.

Heck, I have an account since mid 2010, yet I haven't played for around 3 months now.

Still looking for someone to justify 15/mth versus B2P/F2P.
    This discussion about f2p is quite irrelevant. WoW pulls it off, so it CAN be pulled off.

Whether somebody has the subjective opinion that the sub isn't worth the content in TOR, he's free to not pay it. But until the content proves to be insufficient for hundreds of thousands of players, this talk about the subscription model failing is just pathetic, attention-seeking speculation.

Nothing more.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    This is the main problem i face, I stopped buying console games a few years back because I would blow through them in a few days to a few weeks...only one lasted me more than a month. If I can get more than a month of entertainment out of it I'd say it is worth the cost. That said, I'm not a huge SW fan (I like it, just not a true 'fan') so the brand name is not a selling point for me.
    You're not really giving console games a fair shake. They do have a small amount of resell value if you go the gamestop route, and better cash but more hassle if you go the ebay route. When you look at it that way consoles are a better value, but that doesn't make monthly sub type games worthless either.

10+ Year Old Account
    To all the people "applauding" f2p games:

Have a stab at League of Legends guys. If you think the community in WoW is horrible, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The sub keeps out at least SOME of the riff-raff, and as I can easily afford it, I have no problem with it.

If it assures I have less out of control kids that recently learned new swear words playing my game - I'm all for it.

LoL and its forums are a stream of unstoppable and non-moderatable racial slurs, insults and moronic arguments. The WoW boards look like heaven in comparison.

The game itself makes WoW seem absolutely tame. The matches are filled with quitters, afkers, people who grief their own team, trash talk and swear, there are people who don't know English or refuse to speak it, there are people who log on to the game simply to troll others.

And this is not the minority of matches, but the MAJORITY, and I'm not exaggerating. And this is a game where everything depends on your teammates, since it's 100% PvP. There's no AoE grindfest of 5 mans once you overgear them. You get 1-2 retards in your team and you've already failed.

In WoW I could often log on alone and do either PvE or PvP with random people. In LoL I no longer log on without my friends. Ever. The frustration just outweighs the fun by a million.

So give me a break and wake up to reality.

F2P games have a huge downside.

And I really find the argument itself quite pointless. Sacrificing 3-4 beers a month is worth it for me if it makes my social experience in an MMO at least a tad more tolerable.

I spent 4.5 bucks on a latte yesterday. And we're talking about a monthly fee of 15.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-16 at 10:54 PM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    To all the people "applauding" f2p games:

Have a stab at League of Legends guys. If you think the community in WoW is horrible, you ain't seen nothing yet.

The sub keeps out at least SOME of the riff-raff, and as I can easily afford it, I have no problem with it.

If it assures I have less out of control kids that recently learned new swear words playing my game - I'm all for it.

LoL and its forums are a stream of unstoppable and non-moderatable racial slurs, insults and moronic arguments. The WoW boards look like heaven in comparison.

The game itself makes WoW seem absolutely tame. The matches are filled with quitters, afkers, people who grief their own team, trash talk and swear, there are people who don't know English or refuse to speak it, there are people who log on to the game simply to troll others.

And this is not the minority of matches, but the MAJORITY, and I'm not exaggerating. And this is a game where everything depends on your teammates, since it's 100% PvP. There's no AoE grindfest of 5 mans once you overgear them. You get 1-2 retards in your team and you've already failed.

In WoW I could often log on alone and do either PvE or PvP with random people. In LoL I no longer log on without my friends. Ever. The frustration just outweighs the fun by a million.

So give me a break and wake up to reality.

F2P games have a huge downside.
    non-free moba game communities are just as hostile as Lol's fyi.

Been playing eden eternal a bit lately, no problem there. Vindictus, community was fine. Aoc,lotro,D&D, met some friendly people

In dcuo (apart from the masses of ganking, which is kinda supported in the game ) it looks just fine.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!