Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    Hi,

I actually just made my MMO-Champion account just to respond to this thread. I've achieved gladiator numerous times, and there are a few things that separate a Gladiator from a Challenger.

1. We look to improve after every game, win or lose.
    2. We never blame losses on our connection (lol at the person that said connection makes a big deal).
    3. We know how to put out pressure.
    4. We use cooldowns effectively.

That's pretty much it. A lot of people say Gladiators play a ton more, but that's not true either. Most people with ridiculous time played have never achieved Gladiator before.
    Pretty much this, but also knowing what to do in certain situations and what enemies are going to do to your actions.

Very good examples are you calling out that you landed a full sheep/fear/blind/hex/something on the healer, you can see at the enemy hp that the healer is going to trinket, you let your team know so they can followup that trinket so the healer has 0 time to do anything inbetween cc-trinket-cc'd again.

Had a couple matches where our rogue blinded and we noticed he will trinket (due to his teammates hp), I was already casting sheep so I landed a full sheep instantly when he trinketed. The same thing other way around, I sheep trinket instant blind/fear etc.

To sum it all up; Dedication and Analyzis.
    If you can not see what you did wrong, you will never, EVER, become better. Key part of it all.

Fast reflexes and all that stuff that people call "skills" are mostly just bonuses.
    As an example, you very rarely see a master martial artist move very fast. They move deliberately and at the right time.

Timing is a huge part of winning. As is knowledge. Without knowledge you can not have timing.
    So as many have said, knowing what your enemy will do when, and know how to counter it, will make you win.
    Also global awareness, wich I lack and keeps hindering me from getting any better :<

To the people claiming network connections etc is important: a good player will adapt to that delay, and play with it, not against it.

(A footnote about Talent: there's a partly fictional story about Miyamoto Musashi, a great swordsman in japan around 1600~ somewhere. He had no talent, according to himself. He just dedicated himself to the Way of the Sword. He also had a nemesis, Sasaki Kojiro something, wich had talent. Musashi won in a final duel against him, with one strike. Musashi also won over 80 duels.)
    GM of Roiyaru - Frostmane. Ilinára, Combat rogue. So good at stealth I can't even find myself.

Deleted
    I think the whole Thread is a stupid question
    It's obvious why some people are better than others at pvp. Smart people wouldn't have to ask that question.
    Sorry if that offends you... but it's TRUE

i have a tip anyways: dare to use your own mind... seriously... or just start to think about what you do in arenas.. and always ask yourself:
    WHY DID action/reaction x HAPPEN?
    AND WHAT CAN I(WE) DO ABOUT IT?

players/teams who are willing to do that will realize that important changes have to be done( keybinds/positioning/callouts/cd usage) to execute their actions/reactions better.
    Knowing HOW to improve is the easiest part of becoming better.. and most of the people even fail at that (you know.. those people who also ask dumb questions instead of googling it)

15+ Year Old Account
    A Gladiator title.

That's it. :P
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice.

I'm a forever duelist, I've played with 2 of my best RL buddies since we started and we have met quite a few glads over the years and they just do everything we do but they do it slightly better.
    I wouldn't say it's down to practise at this point because we probably have as much actual practise as the glads but we still never quite get there anyways but they do.

So imo it probably comes down to them
    A. Analysing what went wrong and learning from it while we just take another gulp of our beers and go "fuck man they were good" ;P
    B. Better useage of CD's/abilities and tactics/strats which comes as a result of point A... which in an actual match eventually gives them the upper hand on us.
    C. Comp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    imo it probably comes down to them
    A. Analysing what went wrong and learning from it while we just take another gulp of our beers and go "fuck man they were good" ;P
    B. Better useage of CD's/abilities and tactics/strats which comes as a result of point A... which in an actual match eventually gives them the upper hand on us.
    C. Comp.
    See you've got it down, why don't you apply what you're saying and just get a glad? You've seen gladiators play, you've seen what they do differently.. why not use the expirience as a way of improving-no really I don't get anybody who comes into a mirror match, gets absolutely destroyed sees the way their opponents mopped the floor with them and they don't use any of the expiriences they got from that match to improve, they just keep on playing the exact same way... If I was in your shoes atm, I'd be openly thinking:"Why did I never put in effort in actually applying the knowledge I got from those Gladiator matches".

The most honest answer? Class. Basically if you aren't a Warlock, Rogue, Resto Shaman or Mage your chances of becoming a Gladiator are slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdragon View Post
    See you've got it down, why don't you apply what you're saying and just get a glad?
    Easier said than done. The challenge of finding competent (and geared) players for the comp. you wish to run is the main challenge with Arenas. It took me months to grind to 1800 on my last server. I transferred to Blackrock and grinded to 2200+ the first night of being there. I still struggle to find competent players and very rarely find a player who has 2K rating so then I spend the first night building that players MMR up and he just jumps ship as soon as he gets his Tier 2 weapons. I'm also frequently stuck with players who non-nonchalantly LoS our healer, accidentally hit their cool downs, don't understand the concept of RLS etc.
    Last edited by Jersovic; 2011-11-15 at 03:19 PM.

Gladiators are gods reincarnated as the perfect human being.

No really, it's about analyzing your game instead of going emo rage on official forums.