Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I think I have Depression.

Not the fake its been a week depressed over an event. I've been like this for a few months, I was in situations that would normally make people happy. I am doing well in school, while i did just break up with my girl friend, i didn't really like her and it was better to be broken up any way she was a very cold and distant person. Also I was like this even during our relationship so this is likely not the cause. I have an amazing internship opportunity now with one of the senators of my state.

i just don't want to wake up in the morning
    i have no energy to want to do anything
    once my friends (i have plenty, enough that i throw away bad friends) leave i feel all depressed again, even moments during when i hang out with my friends i have a strong feeling of depression.
    i have also been driving really fast in my car, and trying to not step on the brake. (although i stop my self)

Its not like things are wrong, its hurt that even the smallest things hurt me.

what can i do? i really dont want to resort to meds, i dislike the idea of it.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2011-11-14 at 02:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mention how you feel depressed when your friends leave after your done hanging with em. Also, when you broke up with your girl, was it when you started feeling in the slums? Hmm, I ain't no therapist, but it seems you just need to be around people. Imo, try talking to your people, and no, not on a therapist level, but on a simple small talk level, whas really good my nigga, level.. Also, hows your relationship with your parents? When I feel depressed, calling my mother and talking to her about my day tends to help.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

Find someone to talk about all this.

Me too.

But I actually got some reasons... Girlfriend broke up with me for someone else and at the same moment I lost someone in my family (who was really important for me), things got worst. I am actually trying to forget things by smoking weed almost everyday (it actually helps me, really). I can't stop thinking about things I could've done to make the situation between me and my girlfriend better and easier to live... I can't stop thinking about her, him, them just, overall fucked up things. Makes me wanna do some shit I know I'd regret. I start to hate every people talking to me... This is awful and I really don't know what the fuck to do.

My post won't help you, probably but just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one who's feeling depressed and fucked up. Life is weird, quite fucked up...
    Keep your head up, buddy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottie4u View Post
    You mention how you feel depressed when your friends leave after your done hanging with em. Also, when you broke up with your girl, was it when you started feeling in the slums? Hmm, I ain't no therapist, but it seems you just need to be around people. Imo, try talking to your people, and no, not on a therapist level, but on a simple small talk level, whas really good my nigga, level.. Also, hows your relationship with your parents? When I feel depressed, calling my mother and talking to her about my day tends to help.
    i choose not to really deal with them, it was a bit before the girl that i was "in the slums"

There is a big stigma against depression. A lot of people think it's not real, and that people are just faking it, and can wake up and be happy whenever they want. For some people, that's definitely true--there are too many attention whores out there. But it doesn't sound like you're depressed because you want attention.

Sometimes depression happens completely unrelated to events in life. Hormone imbalances can change how you think about things. I recommend talking to someone in the field. It might sound a little scary, and you might think they will judge you, but just remember that it's their job. They see depression every day of their lives. They will know how to help you, and it doesn't have to be through meds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    i just don't want to take up in the morning
    Sounds like me.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Not the fake its been a week depressed over an event. I've been like this for a few months, I was in situations that would normally make people happy. I am doing well in school, while i did just break up with my girl friend, i didn't really like her and it was better to be broken up any way she was a very cold and distant person. Also I was like this even during our relationship so this is likely not the cause. I have an amazing internship opportunity now with one of the senators of my state.

i just don't want to take up in the morning
    once my friends (i have plenty, enough that i throw away bad friends) leave i feel all depressed again, even moments during when i hang out with my friends i have a strong feeling of depression.
    i have also been driving rally fast in my car, and trying to not step on the brake. (although i stop my self)

Its not like things are wrong, its hurt that even the smallest things hurt me.

what can i do? i really dont want to resort to meds, i dislike the idea of it.
    Before reading all the details, my first reaction was that it was the break-up with your girlfriend. But after reading everything, I would recommend talking to someone close to you. A close friend, a family member, someone who knows you well and cares about you. If that doesn't help, talk to a psychiatrist. Just remember it will get better, hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GUESSWHOIAM View Post
    I am actually trying to forget things by smoking weed almost everyday (it actually helps me, really).
    But smoking weed isn't "helping" you, it's only making you not face what you don't want to. To truly get over what has gotten you down, you have to confront the issues. My mother was in a similar issue (only with alcohol), and just drunk her problems away. And she couldn't figure out why she was so miserable. Only after I confronted her about it (and a certain event that made her hit rock bottom), did she stop drinking and get over whatever was bothering her.

Best advice I can give:

Don't ask people on the Internet for advice. Talk to someone IRL instead. The Internet is full of amateur psychiatrists who believe they have the answers to everything. They don't. If you're suffering from depression, you won't find your answers online.

I had a similar problem, and my friend gave me a great suggestion...

...get a HOBBY.

Seriously, one thing that I notice causes depression is when you don't feel like you have control over your own life and destiny. Having a hobby will help with this as a) you don't have time to think of all the chaos you can't control, and b) you actually are making something or putting something together, so you actually FEEL like you are in control of events in your life.

Stay busy, go outside.

Don't lie around. Take it from someone who has been there and came out better.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    But smoking weed isn't "helping" you, it's only making you not face what you don't want to. To truly get over what has gotten you down, you have to confront the issues. My mother was in a similar issue (only with alcohol), and just drunk her problems away. And she couldn't figure out why she was so miserable. Only after I confronted her about it (and a certain event that made her hit rock bottom), did she stop drinking and get over whatever was bothering her.
    I understand this and it's actually true. Thing is, weed has been part of me since I'm really young and never put me in difficult situations, it's actually the only interest I have, I'm growing some plants with a friend and it's actually a pleasure to keep an eye on them, it's like a hobby, don't know how to explain this part. Well, I can say that alcohol and weed are 2 different things, I never got into drinking and I can't see myself stop smoking like this, would make my days really boring... I actually thing that scares me is the fact that I try to make things looks "better", all my friends thinks I am "the guy" with no problems, always happy and stuff but yeah... When it's that late (4am here) and I am alone, I start to think about things that I really want to get over...

I appreciate your advice and I'm sorry if I'm not explaining myself that well.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Best advice I can give:

Don't ask people on the Internet for advice. Talk to someone IRL instead. The Internet is full of amateur psychiatrists who believe they have the answers to everything. They don't. If you're suffering from depression, you won't find your answers online.
    I understand what you're trying to say but some people just want simple advices, not getting into a therapy or whatever... Simply putting a wall of text with your feelings on anything makes me feel better, sometimes.
    Last edited by GUESSWHOIAM; 2011-11-14 at 03:12 AM.

The best route would be to schedule at least one session with a counsellor/therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist. If you feel like you have a problem and it is interfering with your life, they will be the best place to figure out the next best step, and it doesn't always have to include medication.
    If you need to, go to your doctor and ask for a referral, but don't be quick to jump onto prescriptions until you have all the information you need.

It will amaze you what a qualified person can think of to pull you up out of the slums, and it will be well worth your time.

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I had a similar problem, and my friend gave me a great suggestion...

...get a HOBBY.

Seriously, one thing that I notice causes depression is when you don't feel like you have control over your own life and destiny. Having a hobby will help with this as a) you don't have time to think of all the chaos you can't control, and b) you actually are making something or putting something together, so you actually FEEL like you are in control of events in your life.
    This could definitely help, a lot of things can-- drinking water, sleeping properly, avoiding sugar, caffeine, alcohol and drugs, exercising, doing something challenging and refreshing. But the reality of depression is at times it is at a deeper level than this.

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 03:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekr View Post
    There is a big stigma against depression. A lot of people think it's not real, and that people are just faking it, and can wake up and be happy whenever they want.
    I cannot express how much I agree with this statement, and how much I resent this attitude. After being hit by a car last year, I went through a roller coaster of post-traumatic stress, depression and anxiety. It was absolutely HORRIBLE to know how alone I was in my depression when my family, significant other and friends just could not understand, and didn't try to because they were scared or skeptical. I swear if one more person told me to just exercise on a regular basis (no matter how well they meant it...) *shakes fist*

To anyone who feels as if they are suffering from depression: things will get better. It is not as easy as getting up on the right side of the bed in the morning, it does take work, but things do come around.

10+ Year Old Account
    what kinda hobby could a college student get? that isnt expensive or involves drinking

also i will likly use the campus free therapy service, but real therapy is a bit out of reach, id rather not ask the fam for cash since my internship does not pay

You are probably not exercising enough..

1, Get down to the Gym

2, Get on the Running shoes.. Jogging really helps overcome depression.. something to do with endorphins.

3 , umm I believe there is a 3rd option .. (oh no Im having a Rick Perry.. lol).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    You are probably not exercising enough..

1, Get down to the Gym

2, Get on the Running shoes.. Jogging really helps overcome depression.. something to do with endorphins.

3 , umm I believe there is a 3rd option .. (oh no Im having a Rick Perry.. lol).
    i tried that, i dont have the energy for it or the will to go

Speak to a counselor. If you're a college student you should have access to free counseling on-campus, and if you need someone more qualified (or relatable) to talk to, your school counselors should be able to point you in the right direction.

I've heard from others that heavy exercise can help as well, but I can't vouch for it.

Regardless, things will get better.

Sounds like your just overwhelmed with life, it can be very exhausting. This happens to me all the time, Im no longer in school, but I push myself to workout (closing in on my goal ) every single day that it just gets boring, tiring and I just feel like laying in bed all day.

On a side note, it could be something as simple as the food you eat (or dont eat) as not having enough Protein for example can bring on Anxiety and Depression. Also you mentioned that your ex wasn't a happy person, maybe you just surround yourself with assholes?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2011/10/adventures-in-depression.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Find a purpose.