Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

PTR Test Build, Achievements and Honor Kills, Steam Compromise, Annual Pass

PTR Back to Test Build
    Another PTR build was pushed recently with no significant changes. This time it was a Test build, while the previous build was a Release Candidate. There is still plenty of time for the patch to go live by the Season 10 end date of November 29.

Statistics: Achievements and Honor Kills
    All of the graphs today allow zooming in both the X and Y direction to allow you to take a closer look at areas of interest. As the US and EU sample sizes were not the same (~3.6 million vs ~2.7 million), the EU results were scaled up to the US sample size, allowing us to directly compare the results.

The first graph we are looking at today shows you how many characters have an achievement point total in the indicated range of achievement points. For example, the point of 1500 has 103,525 characters for the US. This means that out of the entire sample of the US, 103,525 characters have between 1500 and 1599 achievement points. This type of counting of characters also applies to the other two graphs.

You can see that US players seem to have more alts or casual players than the EU, but both experience that nice dip right before 9000 achievement points. This is due to the people that are close to It's Over Nine Thousand! achievement pushing to finish it. Both the US and EU have two main peaks, likely indicating the population of 85s that has run no dungeons and the part that has run some of the dungeons. This indicates that the majority of the sample does not play enough to get a large amount of achievements on all of their characters.

Moving on, the second graph has Honor Kills split up by faction, as there was no significant difference between the US and EU. It does appear that at the more casual end of the graph the Horde has a slightly higher amount, but once you get closer to the second half of the graph that gap shrinks to almost nothing. Only part of the range is shown, you can see the entire range is hard to look at. The entire range does show you that the gap of Alliance players is compensated for by the increase at the very low HK level. This indicates that the amount of casual players or alts that are PvPing is significantly higher than the people that play often.

The final graph breaks down the HKs by realm type, and you can see the players that have less HKs play on the PvE realms, while the players with more play on the PvP realms. Ths gap disappears once you go farther down the graph to the more serious players. The RP realms results look very similar to PvE realms and RPPvP realms look very similar to PvP realms. All of the factions and realms showed a nice bump around 100k HKs when people were going for the 100000 Honorable Kills achievement.

If you like this type of post or want to see something specific let me know in the comments!

Don't see a chart? Enable javascript!

Account Security Warning: Steam Compromise
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    As some of you may know, Valve Software recently announced that certain Steam user account information was compromised by an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into their network. The statement from Valve on these events can be found here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/index.php

If you’re a registered account holder with Steam, we encourage you to review the information provided by Valve as soon as possible. We also recommend that you update your Battle.net password via Account Management (https://us.battle.net/account/management) should it be the same as or similar to the one you used for Steam or for the Steam forums. You may also wish to change your registered email address as a further security measure, or to change the password to your email account and other online accounts that might be at risk of compromise. If you are unable to update your Battle.net email address and/or password on your own, please contact our customer support staff for assistance: http://us.blizzard.com/support/webform.xml

For additional tips and suggestions for how to improve your Battle.net account security, such as by adding a Battle.net Authenticator to your account, check out our Account Security Awareness guide (http://us.battle.net/en/security/) and blog post (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2299938).

Annual Pass with Parental Controls
    Blizzard is sending out an email to people that have purchased the Annual Pass in Europe with Parental Controls enabled to confirm that the parent approves of the free copy of Diablo III due to its rating. If you purchased the Annual Pass and have Parental Controls enabled, you have until November 28 to reply to the email.

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Dear parent or guardian,

We are writing to you to let you know that the owner of a Battle.net account for which you have registered as the parent or guardian has signed up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass promotion. This promotion offers a free digital copy of our forthcoming game Diablo III when players commit to a 12-month subscription for World of Warcraft.

However, as Diablo III has been rated as PEGI-16 (USK-16 in Germany), we are writing to you to let you know that this promotion will automatically be removed from the account on November 28, 2011. Once the promotion is removed from the account, the account holder will once again be able to modify their existing World of Warcraft subscription, including removing recurring payments.

If you instead wish to continue with this promotion and secure a free copy of Diablo III for the account holder when it is launched, please reply to this email before November 28, 2011 stating that you, as the parent or guardian, are happy to continue.

If you have any questions or further requirements, telephone numbers and further help from our Customer Support department can be found at http://eu.blizzard.com/support/.

Poll: Annual Pass
    While we are talking about the Annual Pass, let us know if you decided to purchase it!

Last edited by chaud; 2011-11-14 at 03:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those charts are very interesting!

15+ Year Old Account
    I would love to see Win vs Loss by Battleground and Overall. You could do that by Faction, Realm, Race, and Class too even.

Deleted
    WoW, nice info guys
    The graphs look so awesome

Yes I did take advantage of the Annual Pass. Now I totally regret it after playing Star Wars The Old Republic beta this weekend

I did the Annual Pass.

I did the Annual Pass, but not for the Free Diablo III as I'll be getting the CE for Diablo III. I did it mainly for Beta Access.

Deleted
    no annual pass for me, i avoid signing up to things for long periods of time whenever possible.

Deleted
    Those graphs are awesome. Disprove so many theories.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the graphs.

Also, I signed up for the Annual Pass because I'm planning on playing WoW for a good while yet so I may as well take the deal. At least, those were my thoughts before the whole Intellect =/= mana matter. I'm pondering upon my choices now.
    Last edited by Alayea; 2011-11-14 at 01:55 AM. Reason: IE boinked the comment.

I wish all my HKs were merged for all my characters. Farming 250k hk suck! I'm at 155k on my main, and got about 30k on my alts, that would help greatly!

graf = cool. Give us more!Signed up for the annual pass. Kinda regret it since I wasn't that interested in D3, but I know i'll play at least 3 months of 4.3 so it wasn't a huge loss of cash if the worse case comes.

Yes, i got annual pass Mostly cause i get diablo 3 and the mount for free as im gonna pay for the sub anyway it dosent cost me anything, i actualy save money by not buying diablo The beta access is just a bonus, i prolly wont use it that much, except to take a sneak-peek at pandas

Nice statistics. One thing I'd really like to see is a breakdown by percentile, something like this:

Bottom 10% of players have <500 achievement points
    Bottom 20% of players have <1000
    Bottom 30% have <1500
    Bottom 40% have <2000
    Bottom 95% have <11000
    Bottom 99% have <12000
    Bottom 99.5% have <13000

and likewise for HKs - this information doesn't appear reliably anywhere else on the internet as far as I know, so it would be a really interesting and fresh take on studying these statistics for me!

So glad I got the annual pass. After playing the SWotR Beta this weekend (the only other MMO that interests me, well not any more) it looks like I'll be on WoW at least another year. The free D3 and mount were a nice bonus!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice graphics.

Great statistics! Just don't let them replace normal news posts.

Til

I have too many damn achievement points. 11340 here on my druid. Rolled her as my first toon when ICC was already nerfed.
    ~Kyasarin-Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    I like the graphs.

Also, I signed up for the Annual Pass because I'm planning on playing WoW for a good while yet so I may as well take the deal. At least, those were my thoughts before the whole Intellect =/= mana matter. I'm pondering upon my choices now.
    Its just so healers need to heal smart, get it?