Thread: "Americanizing"

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

"Americanizing"

I'm not sure how to call this, but how do you feel about Hollywood taking foreign media, and making it appeal to "Us".

If there is a possibility that AKIRA becomes a live action movie, I don't want it Extremely censored, in New York, and White Actors. It Kills the concept of it.

Not sure how you guys would feel about this, but here is the video. I am still going to watch it. Lets hope is not another Dragon Ball Liveaction.

[Edit: I could had used "Whitewashed!" /facepalm]
    Last edited by Satan; 2011-11-14 at 06:16 AM.
    pro-gun liberal

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    I don't want it Extremely censored, in New York, and White Actors. It Kills the concept of it.
    As opposed to horribly dubbed, in "New Tokyo" and a bunch of white skinned animated characters?

If there is a possibility that AKIRA becomes a live action movie, I don't want it Extremely censored, in New York, and White Actors. It Kills the concept of it.
    so the entire concept of it is RAWR XTREME UNCENSORED AZN PPL IN A FOREIGN LAND?

Well first off, I believe Akira was designed in an age when anime was already strongly influenced to appeal to the west much more than it even is today. There are some anime historians out there that I have spoken to about this greatly that call it the "mech-age" or something of another. Anime at that time was meant to appeal to western audiences also. Today I believe anime is only really meant to appeal to a Japanese audience but gets sent west if deemed profitable. I believe after the experiment was seemingly beginning to fail as each anime was having a hard time reaching western fans, the "mech-age" died out. I am not sure if that is what they call it but it something close to that.

So basically you're asking why is Hollywood trying to make something appeal to "Us" that was already designed to appeal to "Us".
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2011-11-14 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    As opposed to horribly dubbed, in "New Tokyo" and a bunch of white skinned animated characters?
    Yes. My opinion :>

What Troubles me the most is it being extremely censored.
    pro-gun liberal

Yes. My opinion :>

What Troubles me the most is it being extremely censored.
    You say that as if the original movie was something groundbreaking-ly obscene. Aside from Tetsuo inflating like a macy's parade balloon, there was never really anything that even a PG-13-centric audience would find offensive by today's standards.

So I'm thinking, here we're gonna have an interesting topic on American influence in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Mid-East, how American corporations are damaging their culture ect... ect...

And I find that you're whining about ANIME? Get a grip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    So I'm thinking, here we're gonna have an interesting topic on American influence in Europe, Africa, Asia, the Mid-East, how American corporations are damaging their culture ect... ect...

And I find that you're whining about ANIME? Get a fucking life.
    Anime's a huge part of Japanese culture, and Akira's one of the most highly regarded. Not interesting to you =/= bad.

OT: It's producers worrying more about sales than actual artistic merit. It's disappointing without a doubt.

Occupy Neo Tokyo

no to come off racist... but white movies do better than other movies, not just asian movies, but all ethnicities. If they don't want this to flop "whitewashing" the anime which already stars whire characters(confuses me too?) is the way to go. I
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Don't forget that most recently Walt Disney has been the international distributor of many highly regarded anime films (and highly profitable), including: Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Helm's Moving Castle. It's fair to say that there is an obvious recognition in Hollywood that these titles have a legitimate following and financial feasibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Oprah View Post
    so the entire concept of it is RAWR XTREME UNCENSORED AZN PPL IN A FOREIGN LAND?

sexytime...

Oh man.. "white washing".. a favorite word of the Avatar The Last Airbender movie kids.

They do this to make money.. even if they have a passion for the movie they're adapting they have to consider whether it's going to earn enough to make it worth while. So they may have to hire a big name actor. Off the top of my head I can't name many japanese actors that are popular here.. (And I mean Japanese, cause I know if you go with another asian country people still nit pick). Also.. I've seen modern japanese movies.. it's cheese-o-rama.

We also need to consider that Hollywood is far from being just americans.. it's serious film makers from around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    Oh man.. "white washing".. a favorite word of the Avatar The Last Airbender movie kids.

They do this to make money.. even if they have a passion for the movie they're adapting they have to consider whether it's going to earn enough to make it worth while. So they may have to hire a big name actor. Off the top of my head I can't name many japanese actors that are popular here.. (And I mean Japanese, cause I know if you go with another asian country people still nit pick). Also.. I've seen modern japanese movies.. it's cheese-o-rama.

We also need to consider that Hollywood is far from being just americans.. it's serious film makers from around the world.
    The casting for that Last Airbender movie was a travesty.

As long as they stick to the original plot i'm fine with whatever actors (well, as long as they can act, that is) and any location that looks similar enough to the original setting for the series. The issue with the Dragonball movie is that it wasn't anything like Dragonball; it was some random ass movie that had characters named after DB/DBZ characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    The Last Airbender movie was a travesty.
    Now we're talking :-) What was M. Night thinking?

I don't think the location or ethnicity of the people involved really had much of an impact on Akira. Whether it was some future tokyo or future new york, what's the difference? It's a big, futuristic city with a bunch of problems full of angry people and gang warfare.

The dragonball movie wasn't terrible because they change the location or used white actors. It was terrible because it was NOTHING LIKE DRAGONBALL AT ALL. The entire plot was different, the characters were different, the setting was different. They turned it from what it was into some kind of teenage angst mess with a nonsensical joke of a plot.

A well written live action akira would still be a good flick, regardless of what kind of cast it had (as long as they were good actors). Besides it's basically like anything else in life, someone takes an idea and changes it to suit their wants. You don't have to partake in it if you don't want to.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    The casting for that Last Airbender movie was a travesty.
    This. It wasn't just the "white washing" that made it bad - every race was changed in the movie. The white Fire Nation characters were cast as Indians, and the Tibetan monk who was the protagonist's guardian was a black guy.

I'm sad to see the same thing happen to Akira. So much wasted potential.
    Doesn't play WoW but continues to lurk MMO-Champion.

I'm not sure what there is to worry about.

When subjected to any sort of narrative scrutiny, Akira falls flat. Hard. Worse than The Cell as a movie trying very hard to be interpreted instead of letting the interpretive elements of its story flow organically. It's mediocre at best, subbed or dubbed. (Great animation though.)

There's not much for Hollywood to screw up. At worst, the Hollywood version will be similarly bad, though anime fanboys will claim it's significantly worse than the wildly overrated source material. At best, it will be way better, though anime fanboys will again claim the overrated original is gold.

Also, the reason The Last Airbender was a bad movie wasn't the race of its actors. It was a bad movie because it was a good ol' fashioned badly written, directed, and produced movie. Cast race has little to do with it.

I hope it wont be as bad as the dragonball one or the last airbender one tbh i think hollywood should stay out of this and let the people that made the Space Battleship Yamato live action movie do the Akira live action movie instead

ITS AWESOME.
    Last edited by Vayjir; 2011-11-14 at 07:24 AM.