Thread: "Americanizing"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    In my opinion anime series should make anime movies, don't make them live action. They're all fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    I hope it wont be as bad as the dragonball one or the last airbender one tbh i think hollywood should stay out of this and let the people that made the Space Battleship Yamato live action movie do the Akira live action movie instead

ITS AWESOME.
    Loved that Film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vayjir View Post
    I hope it wont be as bad as the dragonball one or the last airbender one tbh i think hollywood should stay out of this and let the people that made the Space Battleship Yamato live action movie do the Akira live action movie instead

ITS AWESOME.
    Yup it is awesome if a tad long winded, as for Akira...it'll flop most likely...like the Dragonball movie

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I can't remember anything about Akira that would require censoring to receive a fairly tame R rating.
    Well let's see...if it is being Americanized they won't show what basically amounts to a full scale riot (soldiers shooting civies) there is drug abuse some funny drug trippin(tetsuo freaking out on the street when he imagines his guts falling out) the almost rape and beating of one of the school girls for some of the things they wont put in if its a remake...though i do hope they would put in the whole end sequence from tetsuo getting shot at by a tank to him taking out the satellite
    Last edited by Lagwin; 2011-11-14 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Well let's see...if it is being Americanized they won't show what basically amounts to a full scale riot (soldiers shooting civies) there is drug abuse some funny drug trippin(tetsuo freaking out on the street when he imagines his guts falling out) the almost rape and beating of one of the school girls for some of the things they wont put in if its a remake...though i do hope they would put in the whole end sequence from tetsuo getting shot at by a tank to him taking out the satellite
    You must not watch a lot of film (or tv, for that matter), because none of what you listed is the kind of thing that would be censored. I'd imagine the toy room would be removed before any of that other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    I'm not sure how to call this, but how do you feel about Hollywood taking foreign media, and making it appeal to "Us".

If there is a possibility that AKIRA becomes a live action movie, I don't want it Extremely censored, in New York, and White Actors. It Kills the concept of it.

Not sure how you guys would feel about this, but here is the video. I am still going to watch it. Lets hope is not another[I] Dragon Ball Liveaction.
    [Edit: I could had used "Whitewashed!" /facepalm]
    And the proms tomorrrooooooooooowww!!

on topic: it will be awful. Akira was pretty legendary, and the second dub alone was just awful (the vhs dub was good). There's no way they'll be able to pull off a live action version

they want to put american culture and ideals in a movie that was designed around japanese culture and ideals. wont work.

---------- Post added 2011-11-14 at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    I'm not sure what there is to worry about.

When subjected to any sort of narrative scrutiny, Akira falls flat. Hard. Worse than The Cell as a movie trying very hard to be interpreted instead of letting the interpretive elements of its story flow organically. It's mediocre at best, subbed or dubbed. (Great animation though.)

There's not much for Hollywood to screw up. At worst, the Hollywood version will be similarly bad, though anime fanboys will claim it's significantly worse than the wildly overrated source material. At best, it will be way better, though anime fanboys will again claim the overrated original is gold.

Also, the reason The Last Airbender was a bad movie wasn't the race of its actors. It was a bad movie because it was a good ol' fashioned badly written, directed, and produced movie. Cast race has little to do with it.
    i'm legitimately curious as to what makes akira fall hard in terms of story telling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Space Battleship Yamato was a great film with a ... bitter aftertaste. Didn't like the over-romanticaziation (is that even a word?!) between the two main actors. She want's to die with him and she doesn't care about humankind? Derp.... He tranqs her without being sure that anyone will come back to pick her up? Durr.... Movie simply ends with him exploding? Herp... A big bad ass battle-mothership and only 12 people are going back to earth? Aww comon'....

other than that.... The "group of 5 heroes" simply destroy a whole superior alien civilization? Oh well.... I'm over-analyzing things right again.

Regarding Akira... couldnt really care less. Both will do fine for me.

Before watching the vids i thought you were talking about the movie Chronicle(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-M5Qx57_UU), it's obviously not a remake of Akira but it got a fair bit of similarities.

Also personally i never liked the Akira movie much, if it had been a 13 episode anime series it might have been good, but 2 hours was just not enough to cover the story. The manga is awesome, and I'd recommended reading that to those of you who enjoyed akira but haven't read the manga, as it really is a lot better.

The anime was tame. I expect the same from the live action.
    It's LeviOsa, not LeviosAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Providence View Post
    i'm legitimately curious as to what makes akira fall hard in terms of story telling.
    I'm even more curious about how it supposedly succeeds, something I've never seen reasonably explained, like, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Salindris View Post
    In my opinion anime series should make anime movies, don't make them live action. They're all fucking terrible.
    Perhaps the same could be said of ALL anime.

Despite the SotN reference, which was hilarious if I do say so myself, what I just posted is true.
    Jab piledriver with Fierce damage.

http://handsomefatman.com — Pondering Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I love Akira, but this is the bs why people get pissed at Anime fans, because they act like it's some diety among the Japanese that the unwashed Americans are going to bastardize. You all seem to conviently forget that the creators of Akira had to lease out the rights for Hollywood to make an adaptation. This isn't a case of Americans going "Derp, lets rip off Japan!" This is a case of Japan selling out America.

And your last statement "Not interesting to you =/= bad." applies to you as well. Don't find the Akira remake interesting? Don't watch it.

Just don't act like America is devouring the soul of your precious Japan, because that's not the case, Japan is selling their soul to us American devils.
    I've never seen Akira and swore off anime/manga years ago. The Japanese frankly baffle me and will continue to do so. However, if anyone knows anything about anime in Japan, they probably know Akira, evidenced by how I've heard of it. I was more distressed by a continuing standard in American movie casting towards 'give the people who they want to see' that's existed since the birth of the damn industry, unfortunately. It's just more high-profile here because Akira is a really Japanese work.

Whatever can't wait to see a big budget AKIRA live action film.
    this is my signature... jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Highlighted what you meant to say.

Honestly, *why* do they keep doing this with films? Has Hollywood seriously run out of ideas that they have to just nick films that were fine as they are?

ALso, I know many Anime fans might disagree, but Akira isn't really "user friendly". I remember watching the film and thinking "This is a bit convoluted...". The average cinema goer into big action flicks etc, might not get the original manga's message, and I am worried they will do the proverbial "dumbing down" of the script in order to cater to the audience.

With all honesty though, its going to be a travesty as it is, but PLEASE, in the name of all that is Holy, DON'T let "M. Shite Shyamalan" anywhere near it...please?
    Water, Earth, Fire, Air.

Long ago, the three books lived in harmony,

Then everything changed when M. Night Shyalaman attacked.

Only Michael Dante Dimartino, Master of all 3 books could stop him.

But when the world needed him most, he vanished.

Four Years have passed, and the Internet has revealed the new Avatar, a Waterbender named Korra.

Although her bending skills are great, she has a lot to learn before she's able to save anyone. But I believe Korra can save this series.

just something that i readed on the comments of The last airbender: the legend of Korra
    Velen: I think your God may just be one of our Gods and you just don't know it.
    Tyrande: Well, I think our Goddess may have crafted your Gods in her spare time.
    Velen and Tyrande: ....
    Velen: Yeah, well...I'm just gonna go.
    Tyrande: Bye.
    *Velen starts walking toward the portal back to Exodar*
    Velen: Your grandmother was a Troll, by the way.
    Tyrande: SENTINELS!!!

Isn't it a tad racist to say that white people cannot be actors for a live-action take on an anime or to even make a big deal about it?
    Deathknight's do it using disease, blood and the power of the unholy. Warlocks do it with dark demons by their side. Mages do it with summoned arcane powers. Druids do it using the forces of nature. Rogues do it through stealth, poison's, shadows and....from behind. Paladins do it by calling to the light for aid. Shamans do it with the help of the elements. Priests do it through the holy light.
    But warriors....
    Warriors just fucking do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    Isn't it a tad racist to say that white people cannot be actors for a live-action take on an anime or to even make a big deal about it?
    When the characters within the anime are stated to be Japanese (or any other ethnicity) then no its not racist at all. How would you deal with stereotyped americans within anime if the characters were all white?

I've had akira on VHS for about 13 years but never bothered watching it. I loved dragonball z as a kid but otherwise can't get into cartoons, wether japanese or american. If they make a live action version, I might give it a watch though, to see what the story's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolretadin View Post
    If it's done tastefully and actually localized, it could be an acceptable way of doing it or even better for American audiences. A good example (though it's not an anime), was The Magnificent Seven. Same story essentially, just properly made suitable and relevant to a different culture.

This is a very, very rare occurence. I cannot stress how often this ends up poorly.

What most of it boils down to is anime hipsters worried that their cultist following of certain films is being threatened by it's eventual mainstreaming to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    I'm even more curious about how it supposedly succeeds, something I've never seen reasonably explained, like, ever.
    lol you can't say "the movie sucks because no one has explained why its good". I'm not defending Akira by any stretch, but you said that it was considered by people who know anything to be bad, and I want to know what makes them think so.

As for why it was good, at least what I thought was good about it,

The characters were complex. There was no inherent villain but more of each characters trying to deal with their own short comings and ultimately realizing that they did in fact need each other. There was the complexity of Tetsuo's inferiority complex despite the fact that he was one of the worlds most powerful psychics, and there was Kaneda's fraility of humanity that was overpowered by his cockiness. In the eventual consumption of Tetsuo's power, Tetsuo and Kaneda both realize that they are, in fact, completely over their heads but strikingly enough it was the sacrifice of the 3 children and the long dead Akira who inevitably saved them.

They had long and strong struggles that inevitably cost them their friendship, but they evolved and learned about themselves in the wake of destruction.

In terms of animation it was spectacular. In terms of story, I thought it was very good and one of the handful that had a lot of deep meaning to people who deal with their own personal struggles. If it's bad I'm very curious as to what was wrong with it. Again, not trying to defend it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Of all the foreign movies to bastardize and make into live action, why this one? It's fine in it's current form, it's like remaking Bladerunner into a TV movie. Leave well enough alone I say.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

I smell another Dragon Ball Evolution in the making.