Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    @lazymangaka, not likely. They're constantly making new things and new sockets are required, as tetrisGOAT stated above, Haswell is the next proposed CPU/chipset series post-Ivybridge and its extreme edition. Haswell will more than likely bring in a new LGA socket, as they are constantly trying to do more with less power, and as such, new motherboards have to be created.

Plus, LGA 2011 is a HUGE socket and it creates a fair amount of heat, it is not optimal for most users.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Wait until AMD and Microsoft work out the kinks in the Bulldozer chips so their full potential is realized. I've read that a patch to Win7 (which is forthcoming) can improve Bulldozer performance by at least 40%. They are also a lot cheaper. A thousand bucks for a processor, or even 500? I think not.

Simply put, Win 7 is trying to recognize the Bulldozers as true 8 core chips which they actually aren't. They have 4 distinct cores with an extra integer processing unit added to each one. AMD got ahead of themselves since they would be recognized properly by Win 8.
    Last edited by Dch48; 2011-11-15 at 12:58 AM.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Haswell will more than likely bring in a new LGA socket, as they are constantly trying to do more with less power, and as such, new motherboards have to be created.
    I don't know why I forgot to mention that along with the my comments about it before, but yea, Haswell is planned to introduce the LGA1150

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 02:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dch48 View Post
    Wait until AMD and Microsoft work out the kinks in the Bulldozer chips so their full potential is realized. I've read that a patch to Win7 (which is forthcoming) can improve Bulldozer performance by at least 40%. They are also a lot cheaper. A thousand bucks for a processor, or even 500? I think not.

Simply put, Win 7 is trying to recognize the Bulldozers as true 8 core chips which they actually aren't. They have 4 distinct cores with an extra integer processing unit added to each one. AMD got ahead of themselves since they would be recognized properly by Win 8.
    This is not aimed at the same people though. Intel expects these to, at most make up 0.5-1.5% of their entire marketshare. IE, not 0.5-1.5% of the entire population that will buy a new computer, but 0.5-1.5% that will buy an intel-system.

And the CPUs that AMD have released won't get a lot better than they are. They were a patchwork effort seeing as they had to release something; They will be phased out in new-years (!) even, in favour of new releases. (Or so it was said mid-july/august)

To think I was happy with my i7 920!

Quote Originally Posted by junialum View Post

I was torn between buying a Sandy Bridge system in march or waiting for this...damn, I feel good now.

Faster FFTs is the only reason for the higher benchmark results, other than the the games(even the ones that are currently released) sadly does not really exploit these multi-core architectures more than 25%, yet still being some of the graphical processes and matrix operations getting faster in addition, to better distributed caches and faster(and robust) memory access with the implicit parallelism, however, thats as far as how it goes...

Simply put, such processors does not really worth buying at their release unless you are directly interested in them rather than their operation in your daily life...

Now as an engineer-to-be interested in Silicon VLSI technology, I'm pretty enthusiastic about how the Ivy Bridges and their 3D gate will turn out

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by junialum View Post
    <awesome graph for WoW fps lol goes here>
    Dude, definitely need a 120Hz monitor now for WoW! :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water