Deleted

Ragnaros Heroic 10 man 1 tank

Due to our low dps on the meteor phase, we started trying Ragnaros heroic with 1 tank. We got to the last phase several times so it's quite decent. In the second phase however 2 things happen, either the tank resets his stacks randomly or during some lucky auramastery resists or he gets to around 16-17 during which "world in flames" and molten spawning makes it unhealable.
    Has anyone doing ragnaros hc with 1 tank figured a way to reset the tanks stacks?

There's no reliable way to get them to reset without having someone taunt off.

You'll either need to save cooldowns for every time an Engulfing comes up, or just push through the phase quickly enough where the tank doesn't just fall over.

havent tried this but if you're having a fury warrior you could probably have him offtank the boss for (20sec?) using die by the sword + shield wall
    i suppose he would need external cds like pain sup, guardian spirit, hand of sacrifice etc aswell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by knpkra View Post
    havent tried this but if you're having a fury warrior you could probably have him offtank the boss for (20sec?) using die by the sword + shield wall
    i suppose he would need external cds like pain sup, guardian spirit, hand of sacrifice etc aswell
    Not worth blowing such cooldowns on a DPS offtank, you're better off using them on your MT if you have them.
    Just chain cooldowns. Resistance & mastery trinket, aura mastery and whatever else your tank has (if he's a paladin, he has a 1 min CD 40% reduced damage from magic effects - glyphed divine protection) + healer cooldowns ofc. I think a warrior with die by the sword could tank for about 10 seconds before he's at risk of dieing (provided he doesn't get killed from 50% - 0% in the first place).

10+ Year Old Account
    We were not the first who killed Ragnaros in one tank. Maybe we're the first one who killed it in protwarrior. Perhaps the first who posted the video with the tank PoV.
    Some words about tactic. When we began to explore Ragnaros, we ran into a dps for the third phase. Sometimes we got 2 meteors on it. Sometimes we could not pass the second transition phase due to low dps.
    One of the Insignia's members suggested me to kill Ragnaros with one tank. After the first pool, we realized that we kill it so.
    Now I'm writing about the passage of the boss in one tank:
    1) In one tank kill is more convenient. dps if higher, all phases are shorter (for example, you'll have only three magma-traps on first, one meteor on third, in every case)
    2) Dot falls from the tank on the transitions, during improved sulfuras and roots. Sometimes fall off and the middle phase, if your tank is lucky.
    3) the complexities of heal the tank are on the 2nd phase - the second seeding and heal in the "world in flames". Sometimes my cat heals our tank in this moment. Tank have to use shield wall here. And you should drop boss below 40% during second "world in flames", in order to get tank without any stacks of DoT on the second transition phase.
    4) To implement the "one tank strategy", tank itself has no room for error, he must calculate the use of his cooldowns for seconds (the video shows it all), the second heal must help the first during "world in flames" and in the end of the third phase.
    5) Meteor have pushed mainly heals.
    6) If the roots appear in the fire, the cat (firefighter) dragged boss there. If the roots appear in a boss, tank jumped out and led boss away. Then, at the right time frostdk put the boss in the roots.
    7) Total it took us 78 attempts, of which 10 or 11 - had a wipe in 4th phase with 4-10% of the boss at the end. When we got lucky with the roots and the fire - the boss was killed.

Now we are killing Ragnaros with 2-3 new people every week. The boss becomes simple after parsing all the nuances of the battle.
    Gz to everyone who has already killed him, and good luck to anyone who tries to do the same
    P.S. sry for copypasting
    Last edited by Faivorit; 2011-11-15 at 09:36 AM. Reason: mistakes

10+ Year Old Account
    Resetting the stacks depends only on the DPS raid. Aura mastery, any other resist buffs or avoidance does not affect it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMPWOW View Post
    Resetting the stacks depends only on the DPS raid. Aura mastery, any other resist buffs or avoidance does not affect it.
    Whilst this is true, you can have it reset based on boss abilities (he casts sulfuras smash when it has around half duration -> likely to drop before it is refreshed. I have had it refresh at 0.1sec remaining however. There is a little RNG involved.

instead of flask use a resistance elixir and mirror of broken images helps a god send

It can be doable with only 1 tank, but I think you're causing way too much trouble for yourselves. Phase 4 is not easy with one tank either, and a bad trap can easily screw you over much worse than with 2 tanks.

If you can't make only 1 meteor on 10-man then I would say looking at your DPS is much better than trying to cut a tank. Save more cooldowns for p3, have your healers help DPS, etc. 10-man guilds were making 1 meteor before any nerfs, it shouldn't be that hard now.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Deleted
    Have your tanks reforged or swapped gear to do more DPS?

Feral tanks are perfect for that. Our feral spends most of P3 as a kitty.