Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm left handed and I've never had any problems with the motion control systems, works perfectly fine for me.

P.s. Link has been left handed in every game bar TP and SS due to motion control, doing a lefty switch would require twice as much animation work and doesn't seem necessary to me but reading about some lefties having problems, it seems it is required.

I've been a fan of the Zelda franchise for pretty much my whole life and I always loved that they pushed the nintendo systems to their limits. I don't know if it's my wii or what, but does anyone else think this game graphically looks worse than Twilight Princess? The game looks so jagged and blurry to me.

Before anyone starts talking about the art and stuff like that I'm not hating on the art. I couldn't give a hoot if they went full cell shading like WW, but this game looks terrible on my tv. I understand that it's the wii and my expectations should be lowered, but I wasn't expecting this game to look worse than the game that launched with the system. I even went to my local target to check it out to see if it was my t.v. and it wasn't.

I'm definitely going to play the game, but it's going to take time to get over this.

Anyone agree with me or am I in the dark here?

To make Link right handed in TP they had to flip the entire map. Giving SS a left handed mode would probably require a lot of animation work, which probably isn't worth it in the end.

Anyone agree with me or am I in the dark here?
    My TV is crap, but I'm not noticing a huge difference. I haven't played TP in a long time though, I'd have to look at both of them for comparison.
    I don't care about graphics at all. A game can look awful, but that won't make it any less fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kikwis are soooo adorable, that is all.

15+ Year Old Account
    @pmgbro
    I don't think the graphics are bad. It's a style they choosed SS to feature, but I would prefer TP style with improvements to the graphical quality over this.

And my question actually regards this aswell, in a certain way. Do you guys think a component cable makes a difference? I really hate how visible pixels are on my 32" screen. I tried searching for it, but couldn't tell difference on the pictures but people wrote how much better the component cable was. Any comments from users that switched?
    Last edited by iLive; 2011-11-22 at 12:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though I'm lefty, I couldn't play left handed if I tried b/c of the fact that since N64, I've played with my left hand doing pure stick(or occasional d-pad). My right hand since GC has been able to use the right stick, but that's limited still and I use it more for the buttons. It's just the way I've grown used to playing. Sure I'd swing better with my left hand, but it's too strange trying to run around with my right and trying to do buttons with my left as well.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Quote Originally Posted by iLive View Post
    @pmgbro
    I don't think the graphics are bad. It's a style they choosed SS to feature, but I would prefer TP style with improvements to the graphical quality over this.

And my question actually regards this aswell, in a certain way. Do you guys think a component cable makes a difference? I really hate how visible pixels are on my 32" screen. Will the component cable make a visible difference? I tried searching for it, but couldn't tell difference on the pictures but people wrote how much better the component cable was. Any comments from users that switched?
    I actually went out and bought Component Cables because I thought the originals my wii came with were dead or something when I picked the game up. I didn't notice a difference.

Anyone else think we should merge these two Zelda threads, or at least keep all the Skyward Sword discussion in one thread at a time? Maybe use this thread to talk about SS, and the other just for general Zelda stuff (art, other games, etc.)?

HAA!
    SpoilerspoilerSPOILER: [FONT=arial]I knew the Sheikah helping Zelda was Impa, so called it![/FONT]

Gah, looks like I'll have to do the Earth Temple tomorrow. I shouldn't be allowed to have homework this soon after a new Zelda game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    To be fair, he never said the game was awful. 7.5 is still way above average (with 5.0 being average), and a score of 7.5 means that he still thinks it's a good game.
    no but he corrected his "review" about the controls but didnt amend the score. ignorance at its best.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pmgbro View Post
    I've been a fan of the Zelda franchise for pretty much my whole life and I always loved that they pushed the nintendo systems to their limits. I don't know if it's my wii or what, but does anyone else think this game graphically looks worse than Twilight Princess? The game looks so jagged and blurry to me.
    its you, the game looks fantastic.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 03:23 AM ----------

people still whine about the way it looks.... i think it looks fantastic.. so its your tv or your eyes which need "fixing" if you dont like the way it looks.. play something like skyrim imo.

that looks bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    HAA!
    SpoilerspoilerSPOILER: [FONT=arial]I knew the Sheikah helping Zelda was Impa, so called it![/FONT]
    (We have spoiler tags now? Neat.)

I was happy to see Impa in the storyline somewhere. Sorta makes sense too. I think this is the most interested I've ever been in a Zelda storyline.

The writing really is phenomenal, even with side characters. Laugh out loud funny sometimes, really powerful others, and sort of creepy other times. (Mostly with Ghirahim

Other random observations: (Possible minor spoilers, major spoilers are hidden. I am up to past the third temple now.)

-The sidequests make Skyloft a lot more interesting, with the Goddess cubes. Treasure hunting is just delightful, with the medal system thing, and I've already found 2 and a half heart containers. Good thing I have an enormous wallet, also.

-The psuedo-skulltula meta-sidequest has been a joy as well.

-The second and third bosses were both quite good, if not quite as difficult as the first, to me. The third especially though was quite good. The most fun yet. Even new minor enemies feel like momentous events though.

-Lizalfos are dicks. That is all.

-Lanayru is my favorite province so far. The time travel mechanic was brilliant. Though, the sand running combined with limited stamina got a bit frustrating. Stamina as a whole though has been pretty engaging, with all the new things Link can do. SWIMMING IS SO MUCH FUN even if I'm bad at aiming sometimes...

-The upgrades don't seem fantastically useful (though some certainly are), but it's cool seeing my stuff get better, and the collection keeps minor encounters entertaining.

-The Guardians and the Silent Realms are horrifying. Don't screw up, or you might not sleep for a bit.

-The story is just epic.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-11-22 at 03:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overall the game is amazing, but looks hideous if you don't have a TV with good resolution, as anti aliasing and the wii don't get along.

One last thing I noticed that really cements why this game is awesome: If you blow on an unpicked up rupee using the bellows, it spins around really fast. I love little details like that, and this game is full of them.

Anyone know of a good place to farm rupees? Having trouble with all these damn minigames

I've enjoyed the Zelda series since I played the original on the NES but some of the controls in this one are really killing me. (I rarely play anything on the Wii that doesn't use the classic or gamecube controller so not terribly used to the remote + nunchuck anyhow) I absolutely HATE the bird. It took me a good 5-10 min to finish the first event with it (trying to avoid spoilers here) and then returning to Skyloft tonight the damn thing kept diving when I was trying to get it to climb and it either spins when I try to turn it or won't turn at all. Combat is taking some getting used to. I keep wanting to push buttons to use my shield or specials so mid swing I'll hit a button and screw up the move. I dont know if I'm not calibrating right or the sensor just isn't picking up my motions but about half the time he's not swinging the way I want him too.

Overall I'm enjoying the story, just kinda wish there was an option to skip the motion controls

10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna pick it up soon, is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Gonna pick it up soon, is it good?
    You will never look at another Zelda game the same way. The reviews are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    -The Guardians and the Silent Realms are horrifying. Don't screw up, or you might not sleep for a bit.

-The story is just epic.
    Oh gosh, I agree! Me and my sister were screaming the whole time, I had to make a mad dash to get the last tear. It was horrifying. Q_Q

Where I'm at right now, I love that Groose developed a bit.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post

people still whine about the way it looks.... i think it looks fantastic.. so its your tv or your eyes which need "fixing" if you dont like the way it looks.. play something like skyrim imo.

that looks bad?
    People don't seem to get the style it went for, it went for an impressionist style, you can really see this in Faron Woods when you climb the Great Tree, the whole land below you looks like a painting and its really wonderful looking.

OH YEAH! The old Hermit on the Great Tree quotes the old Zelda saying "It's a secret to everybody." I giggled insanely. I was so happy to see that.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-11-22 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Oh gosh, I agree! Me and my sister were screaming the whole time, I had to make a mad dash to get the last tear. It was horrifying. Q_Q

Where I'm at right now, I love that Groose developed a bit.

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 02:01 AM ----------

People don't seem to get the style it went for, it went for an impressionist style, you can really see this in Faron Woods when you climb the Great Tree, the whole land below you looks like a painting and its really wonderful looking.

I was really expecting Groose to just disappear, but I'm liking what's going on with it so far. Sort of feel a little bad for the guy, actually.

As a whole, it's a whole lot less predictable than every other Zelda. Definitely a huge improvement.