So I've been saving money for "fun".

And I can't seem to let go of it. I opened up a new bank account 3 years ago just for saving money just for the purpose of being able to pay for hobbies/fun stuff. I've put a % of my paycheck into the account every week. But now that I've piled up a big amount of money I can't seem to want to let go of it. It's just sitting there and I think "oh well, at least I have it for emergencies, like extremely large vet bills" which is a good thing. But the purpose of me opening this account was so I can put money aside every so often and end up being able use it on my hobbies/enjoyment.

For example, I need to build a new PC. But I've sort of delayed it by telling myself "oh, i'll wait at least until ivybridge and the 600 series gpu's are out, no point buying a sandybridge/500 series now!" But right now...if suddenly ivybridge+600 series was available...I am not sure if I could bring myself to buying it even though it would not make much of a dent in the "fun account".

Funny I was the exact same way on WoW. When I had no money in WoW I'd always want stuff. But then when I became wealthy in WoW...I pretty much stopped buying stuff and just stock-piled the gold and could never bring myself to buy stuff, I'd always look for the cheapest options. Been doing the same thing in RL now for 3 years.
    Last edited by codsafish; 2011-11-15 at 04:06 AM.

only buy things that will last you years.

like on WoW, i save my gold and i hate to buy gear upgrades cause i know next patch it'll be worthless, I never lend gold out but if its something cheap, i'll buy it for them.

If anything, buy something like a pet, a good book or a game!
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitehattori View Post
    only buy things that will last you years.

like on WoW, i save my gold and i hate to buy gear upgrades cause i know next patch it'll be worthless, I never lend gold out but if its something cheap, i'll buy it for them.

If anything, buy something like a pet, a good book or a game!
    Already have 2 dogs. Not really into reading, and I haven't been able to bring myself to buy any new games. I don't want to buy MW3 because it's pretty much identical to MW2. I don't want to buy BF3 because my current rig wont play it on ultra.

What I really think is. If I REALLY wanted and cared enough buying a new rig...wouldn't I have already gone out and done it by now? The fact I am extremely hesitant about it makes me wonder...am I losing my care for gaming? Hope not.

I played SWTOR beta and realised I couldn't run it on max without massive FPS issues so I've pretty much given up on playing SWTOR until I buy a new PC. But then again......I don't really feel 100% about playing another hot-key MMO, quit WoW some time ago because I was bored of the whole hot-key style of gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    Already have 2 dogs. Not really into reading, and I haven't been able to bring myself to buy any new games. I don't want to buy MW3 because it's pretty much identical to MW2. I don't want to buy BF3 because my current rig wont play it on ultra.

What I really think is. If I REALLY wanted and cared enough buying a new rig...wouldn't I have already gone out and done it by now? The fact I am extremely hesitant about it makes me wonder...am I losing my care for gaming? Hope not.

I played SWTOR beta and realised I couldn't run it on max without massive FPS issues so I've pretty much given up on playing SWTOR until I buy a new PC. But then again......I don't really feel 100% about playing another hot-key MMO, quit WoW some time ago because I was bored of the whole hot-key style of gameplay.
    have you tried charity? if you dont want to spend money on games, give a little after all the holidays are right around the corner and you could make someones christmas?

10+ Year Old Account
    you know graphics aren't everything right? play swtor on medium settings and enjoy it

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Party hard every weekend. It's how myself and several of my friends find that we always have no spending money laying around all the time.

Buy me. I give great hugs and am good at making people happy!

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    First world country problems...!

I'm pretty much the same in MMOs, I hope I'll have that problem IRL some day.

I have a hard time spending money as well, in anything. The only money I spend beyond bills and groceries is for WoW stuff. It's the only entertainment I pay for so I don't mind it being the only thing I pay for...

I hate going to restaurants, either as a treat from family, friends, or even my fiance. I know what I want is expensive (why do I have to like seafood so much) and I feel guilty about intrinsically asking them to pay that much by wanting to order it.

I haven't been on a vacation in eons, like since I was eleven when my mom took me. My logic seems to be: why spend a few days wasting money when I could not go, save myself the headache and save money?

I also don't like it when people buy me material things. I'm easy to get gifts for (honestly anything Tigger I love), but I feel like I have to reciprocate, and because of this money saving compulsion I "don't have the money."

tldr On the whole it seems to be some mentality of "oh I can't afford that" so I keep every cent I can, and in keeping every cent I can I don't want to part from it so I "can't afford anything" so ..... yeah vicious cycle is vicious. =/ I feel I might have gotten off topic? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Tanks are bowls. Healers are milk. DPS is the cereal. If you don't have a bowl, nothing's going anywhere but where you don't want it. If your milk's bad, the whole meal is instantly ruined. If there is not enough cereal, the whole meal is a failure and you aren't satisfied.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

I end up saving all of my money and then just blowing it on one thing. For what ever reason I'm always ok with doing this, like its my reward for saving.....which is moronic.

Deleted
    You're not going to bring that money with you to the grave.

You could also just leave SOME of the money, and only get the things you REALLY want. Like that new computer. Get something upper mid-range. Will play most things on the highest settings and wont run you a minor fortune - you can play bf3 and still have a bit of a nest egg.

THat, or just blow it all on some big thing that'll mean a lot to you. Personally I just blew most of my savings on a new motorcycle. Herp derp. Felt great
    Last edited by mmoc494ea71a08; 2011-11-15 at 07:40 AM.

Congratulations. Now get a hobby.

I drop a few grand a year on instruments and tools for my home studio.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    I have a hard time spending money as well, in anything. The only money I spend beyond bills and groceries is for WoW stuff. It's the only entertainment I pay for so I don't mind it being the only thing I pay for...

I hate going to restaurants, either as a treat from family, friends, or even my fiance. I know what I want is expensive (why do I have to like seafood so much) and I feel guilty about intrinsically asking them to pay that much by wanting to order it.

I haven't been on a vacation in eons, like since I was eleven when my mom took me. My logic seems to be: why spend a few days wasting money when I could not go, save myself the headache and save money?

I also don't like it when people buy me material things. I'm easy to get gifts for (honestly anything Tigger I love), but I feel like I have to reciprocate, and because of this money saving compulsion I "don't have the money."

tldr On the whole it seems to be some mentality of "oh I can't afford that" so I keep every cent I can, and in keeping every cent I can I don't want to part from it so I "can't afford anything" so ..... yeah vicious cycle is vicious. =/ I feel I might have gotten off topic? Lol.
    This reminds me of Uncle Scrooge.. don't know why