Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will there ever be a Pokemon RPG outside of handheld gaming?

I don't get why this hasn't happened yet. Is it because nintendo sees the extra cash bonus by making sure if anyone wants to play a new pokemon RPG that they have to buy their handheld console just to do it?

10+ Year Old Account
    probably that and the fact it's probably much cheaper to make a 2-d game than it is to make a 3-d game

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

They're stuck in their traditions, that's my guess. A console Pokemon would probably be dramatically different.

Pokemon Colosseum says hi!

10+ Year Old Account
    There have been console pokemon games, but they weren't the same as the handhelds, and really, they weren't as good.

Though I suspect it has something to do with them always being on the handheld. If nintendo moved all of their major titles to the console, there would certainly be less incentive to but the handhelds. Lets face it, pokemon is one of the most famous video game franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Pokemon Colosseum says hi!
    It's got Pokemon in it, and it's sort of an RPG, but I wouldn't call it a Pokemon RPG (mostly because I didn't like it. Or XD. Or any of their console games since Stadium 2.)
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-11-15 at 05:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can;t call coliseum a console version of a pokemon handheld. Sure it had pokemon in it and was like the handheld games, but(and this is a big one) you didn't start like you do in a normal game and you have these weird shadow pokemon and whatnot. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

I've thought about this a lot, especially considering there is a free-to-play Digimon MMO (although it's Korean).

Points in favour:

-Massive fan base
    -Console titles have been developed before
    -3d models for pokemon already exist thanks to stadium and similar games
    -Since its already an RPG, locations etc are already established you just need to add all the continents or make a single continent about 50x bigger

Points against:

-Nintendo has never made an mmo (that I know of)
    -Nintendo is losing money atm, they aren't looking to invest in new idea til at least the Wii U launches successfully
    -Pokemon is generally marketed at a younger age demographic (10-15) and exposing kids this age to an online environment where swearing and adult references are hard to moderate is a potential liability
    -They are making plenty of money off much shittier/cheaper/easy to make branch-off titles like Rumble or Pokemon park

Honestly it's something I've always wanted but I don't see it happening, maybe if Nintendo was actually innovative with game titles and not just their consoles but yeah they seem to enjoy playing it safe with their IP's so far.

EDIT: Yeah I totally read this as Pokemon MMORGP (like on PC) and not just a deep console game, my bad. Although some of the reasons translate across.
    Last edited by Kanadei; 2011-11-15 at 05:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recall reading somewhere that they never intend to make a game similar to the handheld version on consoles. The director/producer/owner? (not sure exactly) mentioned that it goes against the whole idea of them being "Pocket monsters" and that portability,easy trading, and access to other people is something you can't really do on a console. From the sound of it, the idea isn't even on the table.

My opinion is that I personally would love a full single player experience like the handhelds on my Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Orist View Post
    My opinion is that I personally would love a full single player experience like the handhelds on my Wii.
    I'd love any great game on my Wii that wasn't released in the first 6 months or called "Skyward Sword". Seriously what happened to Nintendo's production schedule, my Wii is gathering dust.

Quote Originally Posted by codsafish View Post
    I don't get why this hasn't happened yet. Is it because nintendo sees the extra cash bonus by making sure if anyone wants to play a new pokemon RPG that they have to buy their handheld console just to do it?
    I always wanted this, to be a even a smallscale MO or even MMO into it for that matter.

Shame they stay stuck to handheld cause I am not buying one just to play pokemon, cause it's all I will likely play on one. Would be ecstatic if it came to PC... lols.

Seriously they could really revolutionize the franchise with some innovation while sticking to mostly the same staged combat style system and world, with how everything works.

What makes it so great is every pokemon has unique stats, and you can arrange any set of abilities you want within their limits, u can delete+ remake unlike other RPGs, u can't delete ur char w/o starting over entirely if u want to change something. The combat dynamics are simple to play and understand but the underlining balancing and tuning of it all is actually quite complicated, dynamic and thorough, which my hat is off to. There is no end game or change in gameplay from start to finish, you progress doing what is fun about it, so the progression level is consistent.

The only reason I bring up MO into Pokemon and think its a bit vital is, it has always been a social interaction focused series, trading, battling etc, ever since original Gameboy. I remember the school (elimentary-mid, rarely in high school-when Ds came out)days of talking to friends about strats, and where to find things and all the other random mysteries.

I think the 4 ability turn based attacking as it works is a bit too simple, but fundamentally doesn't need much change to make it compelling in a 3D world, maybe adding more effects, environment playing a small role, commands to dodge or move- like the actual pokemon cartoon show aspects of combat, in the video game.
    Last edited by jayremy; 2011-11-15 at 06:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They probably will make an RPG, but I highly doubt there will ever be an MMO.

Deleted
    imo it all depends how the 3D version turns out for the 3ds..

I think they could do a really good job with a 3rd person Pokemon MMO, the community would be ecstatic, the idea has alot of potential, if Nintendo would ever let someone do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it depends on the future of the WiiU. If that console crashes and burns and Nintendo loses money, as I honestly hope, I could see a future where Nintendo becomes a distribution company like EA rather than a console manufacturer. Could you imagine how incredibly amazing it would be to be able to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc. on the platform of your choice rather than on the Wii? It would be incredible. Up to date graphics, non-gimmick controls, it would just be purely incredible. I'd absolutely love some console Pokemon game, but frankly I couldn't handle it if it was on the Wii or WiiU. I'd much rather stick with the traditional Pokemon handheld game than be forced to play one that uses all sorts of gimmicks and looks mediocre.

I will admit though, the Wii U offers the possibility for them to make a cool integrated Pokemon game. You could play the traditional looking game on the Wii U controller away from the tv or play it as a first person type game on the tv.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really thought of this idea, but I'm loving it.. Not that I'd buy a Wii for it though... Maybe a Wii U...

Sig credit goes to JustintimeSS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I think it depends on the future of the WiiU. If that console crashes and burns and Nintendo loses money, as I honestly hope
    why would anyone hope that.. :S (that would just be bad for gaming)

I could see a future where Nintendo becomes a distribution company like EA rather than a console manufacturer. Could you imagine how incredibly amazing it would be to be able to play Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc. on the platform of your choice rather than on the Wii? It would be incredible.
    you actually want less choice and differences between platforms? why not get rid of console's altogether and use OnLive or cloud gaming.

Up to date graphics, non-gimmick controls, it would just be purely incredible. I'd absolutely love some console Pokemon game, but frankly I couldn't handle it if it was on the Wii or WiiU. I'd much rather stick with the traditional Pokemon handheld game than be forced to play one that uses all sorts of gimmicks and looks mediocre.
    nothing will be upto date graphics, unless it goes to the PC. i dont understand the non-gimmick controls, as all 3 console's use motion control/capture incorporated into their systems now. That imo makes it more the norm/future than just some gimmick (just like 3D which is the direction sony want to go)... just look at what people have been saying about those "gimmick" controls for the new zelda.

I dont get the hate for a console which hasnt even been released or finished yet either.. it offers a "new" controller, and could also offer the use of normal controls with its games. No point in trying to presume anything at this point. Pokemon is known for gimmicks.. pokemon walker anyone lol

Considering the time and patience that is required to get the 'perfect' Pokémon without hacking/other tools, the rage it would cause would be immense. And I am not talking about catch percentages or specific Pokémon, I am talking about the IV system.

I do not even want pokemon to go 3d...I still play pokemon blue and yellow on my original game boy, the beige one, from 1989... :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    I do not even want pokemon to go 3d...I still play pokemon blue and yellow on my original game boy, the beige one, from 1989... :P
    yes because when pokemon goes 3d... you wont be able to play the old ones.