Page 1 of 2
LastLast

When the NDA is lifted

Can we post/talk about things from while the NDA was under effect? Or are we legally sworn to secrecy until the end of time? This was brought up on the swtor tester forums in regards to screenshots, and nobody could come up with a concrete answer one way or the other. I too have some screens from the end of the world party when the server shut down that i would eventually like to share. So I wanna post the question flat out here. When the NDA goes down, can we discuss/share things from when the NDA was in effect?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    Can we post/talk about things from while the NDA was under effect? Or are we legally sworn to secrecy until the end of time? This was brought up on the swtor tester forums in regards to screenshots, and nobody could come up with a concrete answer one way or the other. I too have some screens from the end of the world party when the server shut down that i would eventually like to share. So I wanna post the question flat out here. When the NDA goes down, can we discuss/share things from when the NDA was in effect?
    Once the NDA is in fact lifted all bets are off. That means anything can be discussed, so long as it is a full NDA lift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Once the NDA is in fact lifted all bets are off. That means anything can be discussed, so long as it is a full NDA lift.
    im guessing the end of the stress test beta will also bring an end to the NDA
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Trollsbane, Jedi sodomist.

when is it lifted?

Dec. 15 almalexia, thats when early start goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by warjin View Post
    Dec. 15 almalexia, thats when early start goes live.
    has this actually been stated somewhere? I don't believe anyone has actually said anything concrete about when the NDA will be lifted. To be honest i don't see any reason keeping the NDA past their super stress test weekend coming up.

10+ Year Old Account
    has this actually been stated somewhere? I don't believe anyone has actually said anything concrete about when the NDA will be lifted. To be honest i don't see any reason keeping the NDA past their super stress test weekend coming up.
    It would make sense to drop the nda when the mass stress test begins, it's basically open beta, so everyone interested will have played the game anyway
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    It would make sense to drop the nda when the mass stress test begins, it's basically open beta, so everyone interested will have played the game anyway
    Exactly >_< However i read something somewhere (may have been a post or in the invite, cant remember) But bioware basically threw out a message to everyone invited for the mass stress test saying "hey hey dont forget, we have this NDA, so you cant talk about what you see" which makes me think it wont be removed until a while after still.

IDK, at this point it just seems useless, nearly everyone interested has tried it, and theres so much leaked footage it'd barely be any easier to get a hold of gameplay if we just started posting it freely on mmo champ.

Considering how you can find pretty much all leaked things out there, it's pointless. But for what it's worth, I don't see the point of discussing anything anyways since the NDA is lifted when the game is released, so everyone will know everything then anyways.

There's different types of NDA lifts. Some say that you can talk about anything and everything. Some say that you can only discuss beta stuff that you see or discover from that point forward, but cannot discuss things from the past such as prior beta builds, etc.

The only real answer to your question, OP, is to wait until the NDA is lifted - if it is even lifted at all -and read what the announcement that lifts it actually says.

At the moment nobody except Bioware knows when NDA will be lifted. Everything else is speculation.

for your own sake (regular tester here) I would not ask for the NDA to be lifted prior to launch. it's the major thing that protects you from story spoilers.
    If any of you have played mass effect1 by now, just imagine people just spilling out that sovereign is an actual reaper that has lived millions of years and has harvested civilizations for countless times with his reaper buddies for 50k years.

its that quality of story that is worth withholding from you until you are able to experience it for yourselves.
    Last edited by dukem; 2011-11-15 at 02:57 PM.

I don't think you're going to see an NDA lift.

Main reason is, the build beta testers will be playing in a couple weeks is not a release candidate build, it is a stress test to work on the login system, server queues, and to get some starter planets information to possibly address the instancing topic.

Weekend testers won't make it passed 25-30 (that is playing totally non stop and knowing whats going on), dropping the NDA would allow full time testers to discuss higher level elements of the game that may be incomplete in this build, crafting elements that may be incomplete in this build, or lack of features, some of which are specifically turned off for this build.

BW doesn't really care if you discuss the starter planets, they know those areas are solid for the most part. It is the question mark areas at later levels that might be considerably tweaked before release that they may not want public.

I am expecting there to be considerable differences in the release product from the beta build testers are playing now, so because of that, I would gather no NDA lift.

Keeping an NDA up as long as they makes sense if they want to keep the "secret buzz" going for as long as possible, on the other hand that means there is alot less advertisement for the game out there in the "gamer online world of sites blogs forums ect.

Or maybe they just want to hide that its crap, untill we preorder and buy it for the first month. (i really hope this is not the case)

Its pretty logical they already have like 1.5 million pre-orders, anyone who wants to see the game (registered for beta pre 11/11) is getting a beta invite to stress test it.
    They don't need to advertise, the beta stress tests are convincing more folks to pre-order who will get their friends to pre-order.

Dropping the NDA would obviously do more harm then good, it would allow a small vocal minority playing a non release build of beta to spread discontent and possible misinformation to the masses before the game goes live.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesoha View Post
    Or maybe they just want to hide that its crap, untill we preorder and buy it for the first month. (i really hope this is not the case)
    you do realise, this is not stalin's russia, right? although official forums and the well based ones (like mmo-champion) are doing pretty good job with NDA, there are tons and tons of other sites with beta leakes (even good theorycrafting forums, talent calculators etc) that can give you pretty good look at how good this game might be. it's impossible to protect and control all the data in the times that we live atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesoha View Post
    Keeping an NDA up as long as they makes sense if they want to keep the "secret buzz" going for as long as possible, on the other hand that means there is alot less advertisement for the game out there in the "gamer online world of sites blogs forums ect.

Well they dont really need advertising. Pretty much anyone that plays MMORPG's knows that a Star Wars game is coming out. If that alone doesnt interest you enough to start reading up on the game then your flat out not interested. I still believe the NDA is in place to prevent spoilers for the story. I having played the past weekend beta, I believe this to be even more relevant than before.

Feedback I received from old WoW guildies who happened to get invites to last weekend that previously laughed at the game just reaffirms my belief that the NDA is not a conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by dukem View Post
    for your own sake (regular tester here) I would not ask for the NDA to be lifted prior to launch. it's the major thing that protects you from story spoilers.
    If any of you have played mass effect1 by now, just imagine people just spilling out that sovereign is an actual reaper that has lived millions of years and has harvested civilizations for countless times with his reaper buddies for 50k years.

its that quality of story that is worth withholding from you until you are able to experience it for yourselves.

Gee, thanks for spoiling that for the 10s of people who still haven't played ME1...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    Gee, thanks for spoiling that for the 10s of people who still haven't played ME1...
    And one of them would be me.

ONce the NDA is lifted, many of us would be happy to fill you in on the... juicier details of later gameplay. Expect spoilers galore, because mods can't keep track of everything people say on the intarwebs

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    meh, how long has the game been out for now? 4 years? spoilers shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Last edited by Zarasthura; 2011-11-15 at 05:18 PM.
    Zhenji 90 Mistweaver
    Eonar US