Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy Can't decide what I want on Jedi...

Hello all, me and some friends are picking this game up ASAP, and gonna start with Jedi.

They both decided to be the tanks, but I don't like tanking all that much, so I let it pass.

I was thinking Trooper, but they look kinda boring.

How are Gunslingers? they look like a Load of fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcanada View Post
    Hello all, me and some friends are picking this game up ASAP, and gonna start with Jedi.

They both decided to be the tanks, but I don't like tanking all that much, so I let it pass.

If you don't want to tank as a Jedi, there's several other types of Jedi you can be. You can be a healer (Seer), DPS caster (TK and Balance) or be some form of Melee DPS (Shadow, Balance, Vigilance, and all the Sentinel trees).
    Last edited by Teriz; 2011-11-15 at 03:40 PM.

All you should care about is bringing balance to the force. Nuff' said.

Let me reassure you that Trooper is far from boring. They have very little downtime, have no problem taking on Elites and quite frank, just mow everything down. Once you pick your AC (Commando or Vanguard) it gets really fun. Vanguards are unstoppable killing machines in solo play (not sure about PvP).

Quote Originally Posted by DrMosh View Post
    Let me reassure you that Trooper is far from boring. They have very little downtime, have no problem taking on Elites and quite frank, just mow everything down. Once you pick your AC (Commando or Vanguard) it gets really fun. Vanguards are unstoppable killing machines in solo play (not sure about PvP).
    This^^ was soloing heroic missions on my shield specialized vanguard in the last beta test.Love the trooper.

I think Troopers are really badass, coming from a guy that's going Bounty Hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do troopers have to cast alot of their abilities? If this breaks the NDA don't bother answering.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Last time i´ve heard, Troopers are the tanks and Jedis are dps/heal
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Best thing to do is watch some videos, look up their abilities and so on, and give one a shot in the huge beta that is coming up. Better yet, try all of the base classes out a little bit, see which you like, and stick with it for the rest of the weekend and see what you think.

Everyone is going to have different opinions, Smugglers seem boring to me, Troopers seem boring to you, Jedi's Seem boring to my friend etc. It happens, so you're just better off trying and seeing for yourself.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post

Both Jedi classes can tank, Jedi Consulars are avoidance tanks in the Shadow AC, Jedi Knights are Tanks with the Guardian AC.

would think someone with a name "waitingforSWTOR" would at least know the classes coming out :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheEleventhHour View Post
    I think Troopers are really badass, coming from a guy that's going Bounty Hunter.
    Well considering its a mirror to the BH class, Id say the BH's are gonna be badass too =)

So very wrong, sorry.

If you enjoy dps go with Jedi Knight Sentinel; Very good mob control and AoE, and hard to bring down.

It's not quite so simple. There are a lot of different choices. You have 2 different jedi classes each with 2 of their own advanced class and each of those with 3 specialization trees. http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes is a good place to check this out, but for a quick summary.
    Jedi Knights can be:
    Guardians: 2 dps specs with a single light saber and 1 tanking spec
    Sentinels: 3 dps specs with 2 light sabers (1 in each hand).
    Jedi Consular can be:
    Sage: 1 healing tree, 1 long ranged dps tree, 1 medium ranged dps tree (I assume that is how balance works)
    Shadow: 1 tanking tree, 1 melee dps tree, 1 medium ranged dps tree

And Troopers can be:
    Vanguard: 2 ranged dps trees with a rifle, 1 tanking tree
    Commando: 2 ranged dps trees with an assault cannon (bfg), 1 healing tree

Edit: And to answer the OP, troopers can be a lot of fun with their bfg. But if that isn't your style smugglers can also be quite fun. However they use cover, and some people find that a bit slow. If you are the type of player that likes to plan ahead you might like them. If you are the type that just wants to run in and mow people down then I suggest trooper.
    Last edited by torftw; 2011-11-15 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks, I'll try and get on for the next beta test, I missed the last one, Ill probably end up smuggler, just cuz.

try all first for a few levels than make your choise? safe bet i guess

Trooper is fun and commando is heals/dps i found it way more fun than a consular. get some nice aoes 2.

Both classes can tank and be dps, depends on what ac you chose and how you specialize it.
    The jedi are your more "sword and board" tanks, even though there is no shield, troppers are your ranged class tank, havnt really seen on in action other then the vids on the main site, but both classes can be tanks.

You should have a play around on most of the classes before you commit to one if you intend on trying engame, same goes for your friends.

The scoundrel is sort of hit-or-miss, I hated the cover mechanic when I tried it out but some people are absolutely in love with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eedoono View Post
    If you enjoy dps go with Jedi Knight Sentinel; Very good mob control and AoE, and hard to bring down.
    The Guardian is pretty good at DPS as well, if you're like me and hate dual-wielding lightsabers.