Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Protadin DPS...has anyone else thought about it?

Lately i've become a little bored since tanking is such a face roll for the most part that I've started chart chasing as a tank. I've learned that runing cd's like Divine plea, mastery/strength on use trinket, avenging wrath in combo with a 3 holy power inquisition together makes for some great burst. Rotation starts at judge(trolling for shield crit proc)>3 holy power>inquisition>divine plea>smash avenging wrath/trinket now>Shield> 939 as usual>strength trink 1 min later> 1min after that restart "burst". I've found that i get pretty good numbers off this averaging a little over 17k on normal baleroc and domo where im less focused and about 16k on hm domo and roughly the same on hero baleroc. So yeah just wondering if anyone else is doing something different. As a frame of reference my avg il is 378 with a 378 weapon. feel free to tell me if you do anything different that works as well or better and please post your stats so i have a frame of reference on your gear progression in relation to mine.
    Thanks,
    Dendo

Quote Originally Posted by angelx7x View Post
    your dps as prot without tanking would be abysmal, considering you wouldn't have vengeance
    you guys are misunderstanding me, im talking about the dmg output of a protadin while tanking in the sense that if you achieved high enough numbers you could be considerd a "dps" albeit a mediocre one. Having said that i suppose the title wasn't exactly clearbut having said that lol go ahead and take a look at my post again
    ^ figured i would put this up here to prevent any more misunderstanding
    Last edited by Dendo; 2011-11-16 at 05:26 AM. Reason: correcting misinterpretation

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you clean a toilet with a toothbrush? Sure. It may even be sparkly clean. Doesn't mean it's efficient.

But hey, if it works for you...

Haven't really thought about my DPS rotation on my prot pala alt, thanks for the tips, will have to try around some.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you play a video game, you don't put any "effort" into it at all. You're pushing keys on a keyboard, you're not running a marathon or playing a sport.

your dps as prot without tanking would be abysmal, considering you wouldn't have vengeance

Signature by Kenz

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not worth using DP for the 3 holy power, it's a dps loss.
    It's not worth fishing for a proc with judgement if you're already at 3 holy power, it's a dps loss.

There's very thorough math on prot dps/tps at maintankadin

using inq when it's not up and sotr when inq is up is a small dps gain on single targets though. (and a solid
    increase on multi-target)

you guys are misunderstanding me, im talking about the dmg output of a protadin while tanking in the sense that if you achieved high enough numbers you could be considerd a "dps" albeit a mediocre one. Having said go ahead and take a look at my post again

just look up your maximum dps rotations for single and multitarget. the tank in my priest's raid group knows it very well, and uses it to the fullest , though im not 100% sure what it is, though i know he glyphs focused shield for that fight at least (possibly others) and monitors his sacred duty procs

Signature by Kenz

Tank DPS is baked into the DPS requirements of encounters under the current raid model. You're not doing anything special, innovative or different. Once you are somewhere close to, or at, CTC, maximising your DPS output is your new goal.

just look up your maximum dps rotations for single and multitarget. the tank in my priest's raid group knows it very well, and uses it to the fullest , though im not 100% sure what it is, though i know he glyphs focused shield for that fight at least (possibly others) and monitors his sacred duty procs
    focus shield is a must for all FL content imo, you would never need a multiple hit shield except maybe on rhyolith but thats what taunts/hammer of righteous is for.
    Trying to avoid the concept of the picture perfect rotation according to theorycrafting or what have you and am looking for responses from better more experienced tanks who push their dmg as well as their survivability. As a tank when popping cd's you hardly are able to micromanage your dps like an actual dmg role can expecially when dealing with different mechanics of a fight.

---------- Post added 2011-11-15 at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llandrywyn View Post
    Tank DPS is baked into the DPS requirements of encounters under the current raid model. You're not doing anything special, innovative or different. Once you are somewhere close to, or at, CTC, maximising your DPS output is your new goal.
    Agreed, but im looking for posts on the topic of boosting said dmg output not the awknowledgement that it is a facet already taken into account for in encounters; that's pretty obvious.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llandrywyn View Post
    Depends on what you're raiding imo. For 25man I'd still focus mainly on extra survival. For 10man I go for hit/exp cap after full CTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    Depends on what you're raiding imo. For 25man I'd still focus mainly on extra survival. For 10man I go for hit/exp cap after full CTC.
    haha that's precisely what im going to start working on as soon as i can start winning some rolls on heroic gear. Stuff like the above is what im looking for

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#s0oZGM...uf0h:ozsMbVMzm
    That spec would provide a decent output while still getting all you need in prot.
    2pc Ret+2pc Prot for both of the bonuses. Ret legs(crit mastery), ret gloves(hit mastery), prot shoulders(hit mastery), prot helm(parry exp) and domo dps chest as offset(haste mastery).

Edit- Also, landslide on wep instead of windwalk and a shield spike. None of this is really optimal for heroic.
    Last edited by Saegno; 2011-11-16 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    That spec would provide a decent output while still getting all you need in prot.
    2pc Ret+2pc Prot for both of the bonuses. Ret legs(crit mastery), ret gloves(hit mastery), prot shoulders(hit mastery), prot helm(parry exp) and domo dps chest as offset(haste mastery).
    ret tier, not something i thought of but i'll take a look-see, but that spec looks similar to my primary prot spec the most notable change witha quick look is the point in judgements of the just is in pursuit of justice instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as rotation is concerned, I don't know much about Paladin but it's fine by me that you focus on getting high DPS as a tank.

Once your start gearing/gemming/reforging/glyphing/speccing for more DPS as a Tank I would bench you as a raid leader. The couple seconds you are shaving off the encounter are moot when the tank healer lags and the extra mitigation you could have had would have saved you, but since you were focused on cranking out DPS you don't have it, you die and we wipe.

It can understandably get boring as a Tank on fights like Baleroc and Domo, but just use that time as a break from your Aly and Rag, hopefully in phase 4 =), fights. I also recommend either having a DPS Off Spec or switching to DPS. You sound like a very competitive person which is great for DPS, I like to see more support oriented people in my Tanks.
    "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..." - Ozzy Osbourne

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say it sounds interesting and good job on breaking away from the cookie cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseej View Post
    As far as rotation is concerned, I don't know much about Paladin but it's fine by me that you focus on getting high DPS as a tank.

Once your start gearing/gemming/reforging/glyphing/speccing for more DPS as a Tank I would bench you as a raid leader. The couple seconds you are shaving off the encounter are moot when the tank healer lags and the extra mitigation you could have had would have saved you, but since you were focused on cranking out DPS you don't have it, you die and we wipe.

It can understandably get boring as a Tank on fights like Baleroc and Domo, but just use that time as a break from your Aly and Rag, hopefully in phase 4 =), fights. I also recommend either having a DPS Off Spec or switching to DPS. You sound like a very competitive person which is great for DPS, I like to see more support oriented people in my Tanks.
    Thanks for the thoughts, interestingly enough im miserable at ret or rather i spend little time on it since i've always been a main tank and in general im just a bad player outside of my tank for some reason, i have a 373 mage i break 21k on in a blue moon while doing traps on rag. so thats kinda where i get the drive to push my toon to its maximum. but i have yet to try a difficult fight like rag on hm and don't really have a scale for myself what i would be sacrificing if i were to look into a even more dps oriented play style. But...big but my RL's do keep me in check and CTC cap is met and i don't have any actual reforges or gems towards dps outside of some exp which is usually reforged out of hit anyways. I have noticed though that i usally have time to spare on alys and on norm i've single tanked both the birdies (that was actually pretty fun). If im meeting those Checkpoints does that mean i should actually divert my attention from dmg and look for more avoidance rather than mitigation?

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseej View Post

thanks for the thoughts, i typed out a response but it's waiting to be approved or something so derp

Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    I have to say it sounds interesting and good job on breaking away from the cookie cutter.
    If you stop improving you eventually start losing
    Last edited by Dendo; 2011-11-16 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    Prot dps isn't something new and gamechanging, there is a fairly serious race when it comes to tank dps on WoL with a fair few tanks having a very dps oriented gear setup involving hitting expertise cap and hitcap while still having a fair bit of mitigation(usually not at 102.4% CTC but close enough). While it's very possible for a tank with such a gearset to be pulling over 20k dps, it is an extra strain on your healers and should be discussed with them before attempting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...ction_Paladin/

Yup.

46 expertise (56 with glyph), hitcap, landslide, 2pc ret and dps trinkets. I've been running 5mans with a set fairly similar (gatecrasher heroic is made of godlike for this), and I end up at around 22k on bosses. To a poster above, the shield spike is terrible. I ran it on an alysrazor heroic kill, and even with the buff it did around 41k damage total. It just isn't worth dropping 50 mastery for.

But you really shouldn't push for it until you have everything on farm. Your main job is survival, and dps can come later once you've killed said boss several times. Although I will admit, it's fun to do

i have a set of threat gear that is hit/exp capped, generally use it on easier fights.