Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Does it seem to easy currently?

Haven't just recently received a beta invite and playing for a couple of hours. It seems like the "normal" mode is under tuned at the moment. I understand its the "entry" experience into the game but even with multiplayer and things scaling up it still seems like things are to easy. And I'm not just talking about people out leveling/gearing the Skeleton king.

So the question, do you think things should be made more difficult? Or left the way it is.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

got in also yesterday. I almost died on a couple of "special" monster packs, but ultimately defeated beta on lvl 9 with zero deaths. It was a fun expirience after all so I think there is no need to tune current content =)

Normal is intended to be easy. It's accessible and fun for everyone. Inferno is where your challenge is; blast through normal (and the subsequent difficulties), then feel free to bash your face against the ridiculous difficulty that will be Inferno.

So no, I think normal shouldn't be buffed. It's fine as is, because the purpose of it is to be easy.

Normal is normal, go figure... Try inferno hardcore, you'll cry after 10 seconds into it.

Deleted
    Normal is there to let people browse through the story without being hindered very much.

So yes, it is easy. It's designed that way.

Edit: Check out this link - It will explain all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QFNkoa0qW8&t=11m04s
    and when it ends move onto this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Zd7YD3uuM
    Last edited by mmoc959f708b82; 2011-11-16 at 10:42 PM.

What you're playing is the first third/fourth of Act I. Compare it to, say, Diablo 2 Act I up until the Countess (this was not harder). It's supposed to be easy. It gets more difficult later on.
    This is my signature. You will now remember me.

every time someone says D3 beta is too easy a puppy dies. first 1/4th of act 1 on normal mode people...and...BETA = meant to be tested for bugs not watch a bunch of nubs die to quillfiends.

Considering the beta is pretty much the intro/tutorial to the game, it shouldn't be too tough. I do hope it does ramp up eventually though.

IGN interview with D3's game director, Jay Wilson:

uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212676p1.html

Questions 1-3 are most relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have said multiple times the beta is basically a tutorial, its meant to be easy. You can blow thru act 1 in d2 in like an hour or two so its not a big deal. Please read before you ask dumb questions like this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    They have said multiple times the beta is basically a tutorial, its meant to be easy. You can blow thru act 1 in d2 in like an hour or two so its not a big deal. Please read before you ask dumb questions like this.
    As I said I understand it is "entry" level and designed towards that activity. What I feel is that even for entry level, aka a tutorial, that it is too easy. Some classes do have a slightly harder time but it still just feels way to easy. They could easily add a few more packs of mobs to certain parts that make it a little more challenging while still being easy. Tutorials can still offer challenges and be easy at the same time.

I wasn't asking what the design intent was or what the developers think. But what others players of the beta think about it. So if asking others opinions is dumb then I guess it is dumb.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2011-11-21 at 07:51 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't gotten in yet (:X) but it really seems to me that this boils down to one thing:

It's normal, act 1.

In D2 almost everyone could do all of normal naked, let alone act1 (I think EVERYONE could do Act 1 naked).

This is basically expected. Blizzard, especially recently, has always been about making the first part of a game really, really easy, and recently they've been on a huge "accessibility" kick. I honestly would not expect anyone to die before Nightmare, though if they made Nightmare relatively easy as well, I wouldn't' be surprised. Hell, if anything before Inferno is a OP murder-fest, that would not shock me either, but I hold out hope that Inferno is a tear-fest.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    I haven't gotten in yet (:X) but it really seems to me that this boils down to one thing:

It's normal, act 1.

In D2 almost everyone could do all of normal naked, let alone act1 (I think EVERYONE could do Act 1 naked).

This is basically expected. Blizzard, especially recently, has always been about making the first part of a game really, really easy, and recently they've been on a huge "accessibility" kick. I honestly would not expect anyone to die before Nightmare, though if they made Nightmare relatively easy as well, I wouldn't' be surprised. Hell, if anything before Inferno is a OP murder-fest, that would not shock me either, but I hold out hope that Inferno is a tear-fest.
    Inferno will be gruesome, with as much gore and hack and slash as possible. O yes, it will.

Diablo has always been easy on normal mode... and thats diablo 1 diablo 2 and diablo 3.

Normal Mode is your chance to take it slow learn the game the lore enjoy it. Hardcore and The Harder Difficulty's are for challenge.

An i'm testing it as well. Its pretty hard to die and well impossible if you use the smith. Besides if anyone has ANY diablo experience... You wouldn't be expecting a challenge from normal mode so it kinda makes me think you never played a diablo title before..
    Last edited by furyofwar; 2011-11-23 at 02:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone confim that we'll be able to start on Nightmare or Inferno without having to complete the previous difficulty first? ( I dont mean for beta, im just too lazy to go look for any Dev statements :3 )

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Can anyone confim that we'll be able to start on Nightmare or Inferno without having to complete the previous difficulty first? ( I dont mean for beta, im just too lazy to go look for any Dev statements :3 )
    I don't know where you even get the idea that you can skip difficulties, but no, there's no confirmation of that sort either way, but it's illogical and inconsistent with previous titles to skip.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by furyofwar View Post
    Diablo has always been easy on normal mode... and thats diablo 1 diablo 2 and diablo 3.

Normal Mode is your chance to take it slow learn the game the lore enjoy it. Hardcore and The Harder Difficulty's are for challenge.

An i'm testing it as well. Its pretty hard to die and well impossible if you use the smith. Besides if anyone has ANY diablo experience... You wouldn't be expecting a challenge from normal mode so it kinda makes me think you never played a diablo title before..
    It doesn't matter who has played what, but I've played all diablo titles including a little bit of hellfire. However there is a difference between to easy and challenging. And a difference between "hard challenging" and "easy challenging". Even with four people in co-op mode you can easily solo things and rarely have a risk of dying even at lower levels. By the skeleton quest things should start to get challenging instead of being so easy still. Just because it is the tutorial doesn't mean it can't challenge people. A intelligent designer can design for Easy and Challenging at the same time.

What's an example of something that's easy and challenging?

Keep in mind games like this are designed for average players, and you sound like you are experienced enough. Whatever content some people find too easy, there are equally as many people who find it too hard.
    Last edited by zaoly; 2011-11-24 at 12:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaoly View Post
    I don't know where you even get the idea that you can skip difficulties, but no, there's no confirmation of that sort either way, but it's illogical and inconsistent with previous titles to skip.
    Aye, didn't mean it to sound like I thought it was going to be like that, kinda meant either confirm or deny cause I heard someone mention starting on Nightmare and was hoping they hadn't changed it as i'll competing with a few friends .

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Aye, didn't mean it to sound like I thought it was going to be like that, kinda meant either confirm or deny cause I heard someone mention starting on Nightmare and was hoping they hadn't changed it as i'll competing with a few friends .
    Considering the most significant change when you go up in difficulty is monster level, even if you could skip them, you'd die painfully to monsters 30 levels higher than you.