Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Squish *SHOULD NOT* affect soloing old content.

Example: Boss X has 1million HP, hits for 10000 a hit. You have 200,000 HP.

*SQUISH*

Now, Boss X has 100,000 HP, hits for 1000, and you have 20,000 HP.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Squish *SHOULD NOT* affect soloing old content.

Example: Boss X has 1million HP, hits for 10000 a hit. You have 200,000 HP.

*SQUISH*

Now, Boss X has 100,000 HP, hits for 1000, and you have 20,000 HP.
    So I'll point out the reason why you're incorrect.

Relative scaling is not the factor here in soloing old content. Right now, the reason I can go back and solo a level 70 raid with my level 85 DK is because my equivalent power, in terms of damage done, damage avoided/mitigated, healing, and health is on par with a 10 man raid meant for the level, DUE TO GEAR. The same applies to level 80 heroics - the reason I can solo them is because my total sum of everything is around what a well-equipped 5 man group was when they tackled that content last year. If stamina and gear inflation had not increased my power so drastically, I would not be capable of taking on level 80 heroics with ease.

An item squish that would ensure level 90 gear isn't that much removed from level 70, 80, and 85 gear would mean that I would need 2 or 3 friends, at least, to take down level 70 content. I would need more for 80 and probably nearly a full roster for the T11, T12, and T13 raids.

Now, since Blizzard said they want us to be able to solo the older content, it's more likely they will make it so 80, 70, and 60 content can't hit you, or get a huge damage reduction against someone 10+ levels higher. That would ensure we could still bring them down while not worrying about having to have a huge gear difference between that content and the current level.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2011-11-17 at 07:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure the reason it will work like he said, is that whilst you might not have 5x the stats of the level 60/70/80 group, the ratio would be the same. They might not be far apart, but the boss scaling will be the same, and our health scaling will also be the same. You might have 20k hp at level 85, but you'd have maybe 6k at 70. So damage values will have been scales back (to balance the health change), which puts everything back where it was. It'll probably just be a learning thing again, where people have to prove it's possible first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splosion View Post
    I'm pretty sure the reason it will work like he said, is that whilst you might not have 5x the stats of the level 60/70/80 group, the ratio would be the same. They might not be far apart, but the boss scaling will be the same, and our health scaling will also be the same. You might have 20k hp at level 85, but you'd have maybe 6k at 70. So damage values will have been scales back (to balance the health change), which puts everything back where it was. It'll probably just be a learning thing again, where people have to prove it's possible first.
    Except that is entirely not what would happen. You're scaling down from the hugely inflated gear levels we have now, which is essentially saying each expansion will maintain the large increases in gear. That isn't what Blizzard said, nor what they showed on their graph. They showed that each expansion would be a considerably smaller increase in item levels relative to the content. My total power level, to talk in a Dragon Ball Z manner, simply wouldn't be enough to tackle older content anymore without assistance.

Think about it this way:

- A level 60 boss, right now, hits me for around 400 damage in melee (excluding any kind of % or magic attack), if it even manages to hit at all. That's .2% of my health (199,600). If I had 20k health (per the example), and got hit for the 1k the poster spoke about (again, the example), that's a full 5% of my health. That's a huge difference and an example of how an item squish that lowers the gear gaps between expansions would end soloing.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2011-11-17 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    - A level 60 boss, right now, hits me for around 400 damage in melee (excluding any kind of % or magic attack), if it even manages to hit at all. That's .2% of my health (199,600). If I had 20k health (per the example), and got hit for the 1k the poster spoke about (again, the example), that's a full 5% of my health. That's a huge difference and an example of how an item squish that lowers the gear gaps between expansions would end soloing.
    Surely that's a terrible example. considering that you have a level 60 boss melee you for 400, that damage would then be reduced? I don't see you using the comparison there. Unless they're linked, in which the boss does 250% more damage than it does now. If we're reduced to 10% of our current health, surely the boss damage would be too?

It's offtopic, but what the hell are those Naxxramas videos, that appear to be using the warcraft 3 engine?

Suddenly intrigued.

On topic, Felmyst, Eredar twins, M'uru and Kil'jaeden should be possible with anything north of 359 gear without too much issue (Eredar twins are a bit of a pain, but you just chain CDs til you kill the shadow one, then it's easy street. I taught a friend to solo them.
    Those couple of videos are from my Warcraft-3 map project but it's quite abandoned now ( but existing bosses are still pretty hard and intresting to beat sometimes:P )

Deleted
    Hello,

I have a quick question. I leveled recently my little death knight and reached level 85 last night. Since I am playing on US server from Europe I cannot join any raiding schedule and therefore prefer exploring/farming old content by myself. I have seen many videos of death knights soloing old raids but I never seen any gear description associated too. As already mentioned since playing from Europe and not raiding my gear would be limited to justice points gear. So what is the minimum gear to farm old content (vanilla and burning crusade for instance).

I attached my armory link (turned level 85 last night) : http: //us.battle.net/wow/en/character/farstriders/A%C3%AFona/simple

Thanks in advance.

Eleane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shifuren View Post
    Those couple of videos are from my Warcraft-3 map project but it's quite abandoned now ( but existing bosses are still pretty hard and intresting to beat sometimes:P )
    They looks so awesome!

I think icc gunship is also impossibile due to it's mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleane View Post
    Hello,

I have a quick question. I leveled recently my little death knight and reached level 85 last night. Since I am playing on US server from Europe I cannot join any raiding schedule and therefore prefer exploring/farming old content by myself. I have seen many videos of death knights soloing old raids but I never seen any gear description associated too. As already mentioned since playing from Europe and not raiding my gear would be limited to justice points gear. So what is the minimum gear to farm old content (vanilla and burning crusade for instance).

I attached my armory link (turned level 85 last night) : http: //us.battle.net/wow/en/character/farstriders/A%C3%AFona/simple

Thanks in advance.

Eleane.
    All my videos info have ilvl at the moment of kill in description, so you can see what is minimum for attempting boss. Ulduar normal (except torim\hodir) and most of naxx can be done in 346-360 ilvl dps\tank gear so justice points are enough
    youtube.com/user/shifuren

Soloabe Vanilla and BC instances also can be done in 360 ilvl except dps reqs for twin emps or some overall not easy bosses like Vashj

They looks so awesome!
    Well, other people don't think so XD This was the main reason that I stopped working on it, even finding someone to test it was almost impossible
    Last edited by shifuren; 2011-11-21 at 12:06 PM.

@eleane : Same story as you, friend I like old content plus my schedule isn't good for raiding. So death knights and their soloing is great for me. Currently at lvl 72, gonna try to get to End Time levels of gear before i begin my soloing (ilvl378).

@shifuren : noted with the gear checks. gonna be a pain to sift through every boss though to check your gear lvl at each one. So i'll just take your word for it (unless you can help me break it down :P ). I'll update the ilvl with each boss tomorrow.

I also intend, with the help of Mionelol's blog guide, to try to mark whichever boss is an easy solo. Good for getting comfortable with soloing

Sigh, I only wish they didnt add that damn 20 second cooldown to Word of glory. I could be coasting through them in my tankadin.

Deleted
    Pretty much is soloable if you got some gear and know what to do:
    youtube.com/user/Runedeath19

Quote Originally Posted by Runedeath View Post
    Pretty much is soloable if you got some gear and know what to do:
    youtube.com/user/Runedeath19
    Haha, general statement is general. The question is exactly what is soloable at what level? That's what I needed to know and aim for. Now that shifuren says it's about 360, which is very achieveable especially come 4.3, I'll be having a grand old time in old content.

I can't access your link at work, will open when I get home

Edit: Have updated the Opening post.
    Last edited by Booniehat; 2011-11-22 at 07:05 AM.

btw, gluth is definitely soloable but need more gear, with 383 ilvl\max dps spec reforges etc\even with Dark Intent best try is 3.8%=( 1 second after screen he healed with zombie and enraged
    i.imgur.com/t53gB.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    Now that shifuren says it's about 360, which is very achieveable especially come 4.3, I'll be having a grand old time in old content.
    I soloed even yogg-saron in 360 ilvl, while Mionelol done it in 372+- if i am not mistaken most bosses ARE possible with lower gear but it raises dependence on RNG etc a lot (for example i wiped multiple times on ideal tries leaving brain with 1-5k health needed to push phase 3 or 1-2% on yogg itself because of enrage\some bad crits on adds lol)

/offtop
    not exactly dk soloing..but - hello yogg! xD
    i.imgur.com/MSoAd.jpg
    /offtop
    Last edited by shifuren; 2011-11-22 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks shifuren, but I'm sure you're plenty more skilled/experienced with DKing them me, so I'd like to have slightly better gear to provide a margin of error.

1. Can I ask though, are all are the solable fights just as doable with a DPSer? I'd like to take my girl with me (Ele shammy) and she's so-so at healing but good at DPS. Do any fights spring to mind where duo-ing is a bad idea?

2. If yogg was doable in 360, can I assume anything from BC raids that aren't too mechanics dependent can be doable in, say, 346/353 gear?

3. If you're european (from the... cyrillic? in your signature), why is your user name in chinese? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Booniehat View Post
    Thanks shifuren, but I'm sure you're plenty more skilled/experienced with DKing them me, so I'd like to have slightly better gear to provide a margin of error.

1. Can I ask though, are all are the solable fights just as doable with a DPSer? I'd like to take my girl with me (Ele shammy) and she's so-so at healing but good at DPS. Do any fights spring to mind where duo-ing is a bad idea?

2. If yogg was doable in 360, can I assume anything from BC raids that aren't too mechanics dependent can be doable in, say, 346/353 gear?

3. If you're european (from the... cyrillic? in your signature), why is your user name in chinese? :P
    1. Most of the fights - yes, but some - like...yogg, lich, rotface, kael'thas come to mind are much harder with 2 ppl due to mechanics which solo wouldn't target you as a tank
    2. Yep, but there are still some bosses that can kill you
    3. As previous poster said i am russian

Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    you better come back asap since 4.3 is may be your last chance to solo most stuff before squash hits in MoP. And gearing up straight to t13 requires no effort atm.

All numbers will be squished in MoP. nothing will change but the numbers. Like instead of illidan having 4.3mil or what ever he has. He will have 430k. Nothing will change but the numbers.

BTW love this guide, please update in 4.3! I have a blood dk but im junk with him atm so this will help

Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    talking about gear requirements is pretty dumb, that's all I have to say. Classes change with each patch, and in the case of Blood DKs, our DPs has been buffed with evry patch.
    To take an exemple you guys probably all know :
    Kael'thas back in beta had a pretty heavy DPS requirements even with 359 gear.
    on live it could be done with blues+epic weapon (damage was buffed heavily between beta and live)
    then DKs got buffed extremely heavily in 4.0.6 (both damage and survivability-wise)
    then DKs got buffed again through the DS hotfix
    Now I could probably do it with full blues (that's more like 100% doable) and even wearing some green items.(now that becomes a bit tricky)

same goes with every single boss

and next patch is yet another buff, with th Vengeance change, 20% melee ap, etc.

Don't focus on gear level. go on the boss, learn what are *your* limits and plan accordingly.
    /salute omg

yup, duly noted on the gear levels. But I just use it a rough, rough gauge, or at least somewhat of a safety net. As a new DK, I doubt I have any where near your mad skills at soloing, lol. So no way I'll go in greens. Perhaps blues, lol.

Thanks!

---------- Post added 2011-11-22 at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Outerhaven View Post
    All numbers will be squished in MoP. nothing will change but the numbers. Like instead of illidan having 4.3mil or what ever he has. He will have 430k. Nothing will change but the numbers.

BTW love this guide, please update in 4.3! I have a blood dk but im junk with him atm so this will help
    Well, come 4.3 I'll be ready to solo (based ony my current progress).

So I'll add my personal experience to this guide soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello! I recently started paying attention to my lil DK and decided to level her and have fun with some OP ratings at 80 (aka, twinked). What bosses (be raids or instances) are a good starting point for an avg player* with very good gear?
    Here's my armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ucila/advanced (TotT trinket refuses to drop >.<)

*Since I started playing her recently, I'm nowhever near the skill of names like Mione or Raewyn, but I do understand *most* of the blood DK mechanics. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    ~ My mounts collection ~

~ Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ~
    Thanks Elyaan for the signature!