I recently build this new system:

Fractal Design Define R3 chassis
    Intel® Core™ i5-2500 with Noctua NH-D14 heatsink/cooler
    Asrock Z68 PRO3 motherboard
    8GB DDR3 1600 Kingston HyperX RAM
    Corsair 450w power supply that I kept from my old system
    OCZ Summit Series 2,5" 60GB SSD that I kept from my old system

More info about the process can be found in this post from last month:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...uiet-PC-setup)

And here comes the problem. I still have my more than 2 year old Geforce GTS 250 plugged into this new system. I know its an old card, but it does the job very well, especially for WoW.
    But I've always had a problem. I have a SoundBlaster Arena USB headset, with a build in microphone. When this microphone is turned on there is a VERY annoying lowlevel buzz in the headset. This gives me a headacke when I use Ventrilo etc. If I disable the microphone in the Windows Recording Device menu the buzz/wiizzzz noise is totally gone, so yeah I've turned into some kind of "mute" on VT
    The thing is this buzz/wiizzzz noise change in volume, and how should I put it, "beat" when I turn the camera around ingame, as if it was based on my FPS or what the GFX writes on the screen. If I plug a normal speaker set into the motherboard I get a similar buzz/wiizzzz based on how the camera is turned. But this is even without microphone plugged in. This problem was the same before I got this new system so the cause can ONLY be my PSU, Razor Naga mouse or my Geforce GTS 250. I've tested the USB headset in my laptop and there the microphone work just fine with no noise, also with the Naga mouse plugged in.

What makes me think it is the GFX is the fact that the same squeeeeeeeeek/bzzzzzz comes out of the card physically, its not very loud but if I put my ear to the case I can hear it clearly. I've read a lot about this problem on random cards. Its something to do with the coils on them.

So now I'm trying to find a new Graphics card with absolutely NO COIL PROBLEMS, I can't express how important this is. I wan't one that sends out close to 0db. So I will be looking at some passive GFX cards, and then I will put my own 120mm fan on it to keep it at a decent temperature (Have bought some VERY VERY low noise ones earlier). The reason for this is my whole system is now build around being so silent you could hear a needle drop to the floor.

Here is the cards I am considering:

Club 3D Radeon HD 6570 CoolStream Edition (1 GB)
    http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pro...m-edition.html
    Idle: 10W
    Maximum load: 44W
    613 DKR = 82 Euro

Club 3D Radeon HD 6750 CoolStream Edition (1 GB)
    http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/pro...m-edition.html
    Idle: 16W
    Maximum load: 86W
    902 DKR = 121 Euro

PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 SCS 3
    http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=634547
    http://www.powercolor.com/global/pro...res.asp?id=358
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...0_SCS3/19.html
    Maximum load: 127 W
    1399 DKR = 187 Euro

Here is a Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Unigine Sanctuary - Gamer comparison of the 3 Cards

Yes I know the prices here in Denmark are a bit steep, but you gotta take our social security system, welfare, wage and tax system into consideration. So no reason to comment on that. Would like to stay in a 200 Euro budget though.

My first thought is that the HD 6850 might be overkill for WoW and since it use higher watt (still lower than my shitty 2 year old 250GTS, it use 150watt) than the others I suspect it will become hotter. Have any of you tested any of these cards or most important of all, heard about Coil noise problems on any of them. I've tried to search youtube and random reviews but none seem to speak about coil-problems. Is this problem solved or is this totally ignored today because most cards sound like a jet engine due to the crappy fans they put on them, and thus totally outnoise any possible Coil squeek. Or have you heard of any other cards that can be used in a silent PC setup ?

And before you ask, I've not been able to find any Nvidia based passive cooled cards.
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-11-17 at 02:27 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Something like Radeon 6570 will be a downgrade compared to your current GTS250 in framerates, I would not even consider any other than the 6850 of that bunch. What you should do instead is get a real card like MSI Twin Frozr II or Asus DirectCU cooled GTX560ti or Radeon 6950 and downclock it slightly. The fans that come with those cards can be manually cranked to so low rpm you can't hear 'em.

Another question though is have you considered another headset in case the mic is just crap in your current one?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Another question though is have you considered another headset in case the mic is just crap in your current one?
    The fact that the buzz also comes out of speakers plugged into both the old and now the new motherboard, leads me to think there is nothing wrong with the Creative Areba USB headset. Also the fact that it have no problems when connected to my labtop.

Then it sounds like some component on your system is creating much much higher electrical interference it should be doing. Power supply recycled from old setup is the first thing that comes to my mind, or maybe some case fans you're reusing.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

if you realy looking for a quiet card, then take a look at the HIS ICE-Q X-Turbo 6950, it's not cheap, but its about the quietest card on the market
    it puts out about 43 dB on maximum load

http://www.hardware-mag.de/artikel/g...rbo_review/14/

can't find a english side sorry

Then it sounds like some component on your system is creating much much higher electrical interference it should be doing. Power supply recycled from old setup is the first thing that comes to my mind, or maybe some case fans you're reusing.
    But would this cause the GFX to physically sqeuuuek too ?

---------- Post added 2011-11-17 at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    if you realy looking for a quiet card, then take a look at the HIS ICE-Q X-Turbo 6950, it's not cheap, but its about the quietest card on the market
    it puts out about 43 dB on maximum load
    Cool card, but 43 dB would be like a jet engine in my system. So far I'm gonna go for the Powercolor 6850.

15+ Year Old Account
    You frustrate me with how anal you are on this thing being quiet ><

Look at Twin Frozr though, you can always underclock the card and force the fans to stay on low. Card is one of the quietest ones out there.

Also, you should find a dB meter and see how loud your system actually is when you're done with this, I'm curious to know
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    When my PC makes unexpected noises it takes quite a while to single out the exact source of the sound. Lets hope you've 100% confirmed the source of the sound and aren't just imagining exactly where it's coming from, because it'd be pretty funny if you got a passively-cooled card and the noise continued
    If "coil whine" is even the actual problem, the PSU would be by far the most likely culprit - again, assuming that coil whine is causing the noise.

Obviously the HD6850 is the best card in your list, so go for it. Lets hope it solves your issues.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

don't want to argue ^^ but Power-Color 6850 puts out 60dB
    http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests...50_pcs/s05.php

Twin Frozr 51.9 dB ^^
    http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests...ozr_ii/s06.php

i have the ice-q in my system and i searched long for exactly the same as the OP searches quietness (sp?)
    afaik there is no other 3d card on the market yet, that is quieter and still performing decent

the only other good card, that is supposed to be running even quieter is the : powercolor pcs Radeon HD 6950 with the vortex II cooler
    but i don't know, if this card is already to sell, it wasn't about 3 months ago
    last test i saw with a prototype of this card, was about 1 dB quieter then the ice-q

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lierial View Post
    don't want to argue ^^ but Power-Color 6850 puts out 60dB
    http://www.tweakpc.de/hardware/tests...50_pcs/s05.php
    Err did you check his links? It's a 6850 SCS, not a regular 6850:

No fans = zero noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Err did you check his links? It's a 6850 SCS, not a regular 6850:

No fans = zero noise.
    ok, since its passive it will beat the ice-q sorry didn't see that

but not by much, since it will need a active housing ? (or what its called in english for the tower, sorry main language isn't english ^^ )

as for performance i don't know, but my gues is the ice-q will be significant better

PS : tbh i would exchange the Power - Unit of the OP before i use any of these cards tough
    450 W is definitly to low imo, might be the reason for his buzzing too, since it the power-unit runs hot, because it's on its limit, his fan might be heard too
    Last edited by Lierial; 2011-11-17 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't need an active anything, the airflow through the case is enough to keep the oversized heatsink cool.

Your Ice-Q isn't any better because it's the exact same chip, maybe clocked ~2-5% higher at most.

The only difference is looks really :P passive sinks = ewww.

more closely to 30%
    since the ice-q i linked and talk about is the 6950 not the 6850 as the passive one you mean

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/powerco...st/index12.php

but everyone has to decide for its one, what he likes best

HD 6950 will still be too much of a high end card to run with a low Speed fan mounted on it and still keep it from overheating.

As things are right now I will be getting the Powercolor HD 6850 passive card, and put one of my super low noise 120mm fans on it at very low speed. I've tried to find some forum posts or anything mentioning coil noise combined with this card. But so far I've found nothing. So seems like its all good.

If this wont fix the microphone buzz, I'll just get a new PSU afterwards. Also it wouldn't be from overheating anyways. The buzz is there right after a coldboot. (when computer have been turned on for ages and is room temperature).

On a sidenote, the 450watt is more than enough for my system. Especially if this 6850 is only 125watt. Combined I think my system would use like 300watt tops.

----

BTW, check out this card: http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=454

Sick sick sick, I checked the price here in Denmark. 1000 Euro, lol !
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-11-17 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    HD 6950 will still be too much of a high end card to run with a fan at low Speed fan mounted on it and still keep it from overheating.
    As I said before, you can downclock some card that comes with quiet fan, which allows you to also slow down the fans even more. That will allow you much greater range of cards to choose from. In most computers PSU fan is the noisiest part anyway.
    Trolling should be.

As I said before, you can downclock some card that comes with quiet fan, which allows you to also slow down the fans even more. That will allow you much greater range of cards to choose from. In most computers PSU fan is the noisiest part anyway.
    Not in my system. I already modified my PSU with another dead silent 120mm fan (ofc you cant know that unless you had read my other post).

Im not kidding when I tell that you can hear a needle drop to the floor in my gaming room. That is why my new GFX will have to follow the same requirements or all my efforts have been in vain. Basically what I need to know now is if people with that HD 6850 (or other similar passive cards) have had any coil problems.

I'll give you an example from Youtube on what Coil/squeek problem is. If you read the comments on that video they have tested with different PSU (even different brands) and GFX cards. Some really strange stuff. Funny enough I actually have a Corsair PSU as you can see. My problem is that this squeek replicates into my microphone/audio output aswell (not the USB headset output, just when microphone is turned on for some strange reason)

I'm sure a LOT of you actually have this DEFECT (yes I will call a spade a spade). But since your system sound like a jet engine you wont notice it at all because of all the other noise.

Last edited by Nelle; 2011-11-18 at 12:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    You frustrate me with how anal you are on this thing being quiet ><

Look at Twin Frozr though, you can always underclock the card and force the fans to stay on low. Card is one of the quietest ones out there.

Also, you should find a dB meter and see how loud your system actually is when you're done with this, I'm curious to know
    I have to agree.

As for the 43dB on max load (which I assume you wont hit often), you're right Nelle it is loud compared to your "whisper system" but it's not that loud 20-30 is what? whisper/low talk and 55-70 is is maybe loud conversation between a few people. Do you not listen to music, game sounds or anything similar? Which I assume would overpower the PC "noise" anyways.

On the plus side though, you'll easily be able to find any screws or needles you drop and you wont get assassinated by a silent ninja while being at your computer. Yes that was sarcasm but I don't mean anything with it.

6850 sounds like ( see what I did there ) a good option for you.

I'm sure a LOT of you actually have this DEFECT (yes I will call a spade a spade). But since your system sound like a jet engine you wont notice it at all because of all the other noise.
    Pretty sure a Jet engine is around 140dB (yes I will call a spade a spade) lol

I just concluded that it is NOT my Geforce 250GTS making the microphone noise, atleast not the sound that is there in the background constantly when the mike is turned on. It still does the coil squeek but I can't hear that when the casing is closed. I tested without the GTS in the motherboard, just using the onboard graphics card. And the background noise was still there. And as I said earlier I tested the headset on my Labtop and there everything was fine.

So conclusion is that my Corsair VX450 is to blame. I will STILL upgrade to HD6850 but at the same time I will invest in a Sea Sonic 460w fanless 80PLUS PSU. Should work wonders when its mounted in the bottom of my chassis. Also those detachable cables are really amazing. Will free up a lot of space in my chassis for proper airflow.

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm
    Last edited by Nelle; 2011-11-18 at 09:46 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the older Corsair TX650 PSU (not the one that is currently being mass-produced) it is damn quiet. And I know for a fact that I personally would hear the coil-whine it puts out, which is none. I have a great PSU. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I have the older Corsair TX650 PSU (not the one that is currently being mass-produced) it is damn quiet. And I know for a fact that I personally would hear the coil-whine it puts out, which is none. I have a great PSU. :P
    The Coil whine is definitively from the GFX, I'm talking about the noise when my microphone is turned on. That seem to be caused by the PSU