Upgrade or replace my computer?

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to get some upgraded performance for light gaming. My current machine ran everything find on my 19", but not so much on my 23" monitor.

Games:
    • Casual Wow with some light raiding and pvp
    • Skyrim (may play on xbox)
    • SWTOR

Settings: I'd like to play on, or near max settings with decent fps if possible.
    Budget: Around $600
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Here's my current build: (sorry can't post links/URLs)
    • IN WIN Case ( newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108028)
    • Corsair 450W Power Supply tigerdirect dot com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&SRCCODE=WEBLET101SATSFY)
    • 4GB Kingston DDR2 800 RAM ( newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134114)
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHZ Processor ( newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115016)
    • Crappy Intel Motherboard ( newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121068R)
    • GeForce 7900GS 256MB Graphics Card ( newegg dot com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150202)
    • And some old run of the mill 240GB HDD

So should I upgrade parts, or go with one of the build ideas below?

Build 1:
    h t t p : / / secure dot newegg dot com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17689392
    CPU - $125 - Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz
    RAM - $30 - G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR 1600
    GPU - $136 - EVGA GeForce GTX 460
    Case - $36 - NZXT GAMMA GAMA-001BK
    Mobo - $97 - MSI P67S-C43 LGA
    PSU - $0 - Corsair CMPSU-450VX (recycled)
    Total: ~$424

Build 2:
    CPU - $180 - Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz (microcenter)
    RAM - $45 - G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR 1600
    GPU - $230 - N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB GDDR5
    Case - $36 - NZXT GAMMA GAMA-001BK
    Mobo - $95 - GIGABYTE GA-P67A-D3-B3 (newegg)
    PSU - $60 - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
    Total: ~$646

Option 3: Build 1 with i5 2500k (upgrade PSU and maybe GPU later)

Do the parts in these builds look to play well together?

URL for my current PSU:
    (h t t p : / / www dot tigerdirect dot com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3287208&SRCCODE=WEBLET101SATSFY )

Thanks guys and gals!
    Last edited by licwid; 2011-11-21 at 01:40 AM. Reason: simplifying post and adding new build ideas

Deleted
    Moved to "Computer Build Help".

I would suggest a full out upgrade, especially since you have a rather nice budget to work with and the computer you have is well... dated. Start by checking out this thread first for some ideas/samples on what your budget could yield in terms of computer: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds

You would have to replace your mainboard, CPU (therefor RAM, too) and your GPU in order to gain a significant better amount.

Usually you could use an actual midclass GPU for ~120 to 150$, in many games your CPU could be able to support an actual GPU. But not with WoW, since this game yearns for high single-/dualcorepower.

So, buy yourself an actual motherboard, a cheap one should sufice since you won't need OC-stuff. Add an intel i3 2100 (or something similar) and you're good to go. If SWTOR supports quadcore heavily, than you're free to use a i52400/2500k. For WoW, it won't make that big of a difference.

I can't understand why anyone recommends an AMD-setup for midclass gaming. Every game works fine with a potent dualcore, but many games have issues when it comes to multithreading. And therefore, a quadcore won't be a boost at all for gaming when you can attain a dualcore CPU that won't loose out in a contest even when the quadcore is fully supported.

And GFX... as you like. It's more a matter of your budget and the preferred cooling solution than a competition between both brands. Cards of a certain price level perform more or less identical, so secodary stats like cooling solution, energy consumption and so on are more of interest.

Deleted
    Actually, as a previous owner of a E6400 CPU I can say that WoW ran absolutely fine (together with a GTS 250). I had it close to maxed out at 1080p and had around 30fps in a 10-man encounter scenario. That was in WotLK however, so how it holds up in Cataclysm I do not know.

But, it is a CPU that was released in 2006, so it is getting rather old (and weak). I would strongly suggest a full out upgrade as I mentioned earlier. You could always recycle stuff like DVD-drive, HDDs and even case (if you feel that they are sufficient).

Considering your budget, and that you mentioned "light gaming", I'd recommend a i3 2100 together with a GTX 460 or a Radeon 6870 (more or less my Budget Gaming 550 sample build):

Budget Gaming 550
    MoBo: ASRock H67M (B3)$79.99
    CPU: Intel i3 2100$124.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1333MHz 2x2GB$29.99
    GPU: XFX Radeon 6870$169.99
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB$54.99
    PSU: Antec EarthWatts 430W$44.99
    Case: NZXT Gamma Classic$35.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $541

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can tackle most
    newer games. Enough if you only play World
    of Warcraft.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-17 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Guys you've given me some good info to go over! Oh and sorry for putting it in the wrong forum I was in a rush before going to bed.

---------- Post added 2011-11-18 at 04:32 AM ----------

A few questions:
    What benefits I would see if spent the extra $15 for the 8GB RAM upgrade with either setup?
    Will one or both of these setups allow max (or close) graphics in WoW at 1920 x 1080?

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by licwid; 2011-11-20 at 08:55 PM. Reason: build options moved to main post

good GPU deal?

Hey guys,

I have found the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 for $136. (www dot amazon dot com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1370-TR/dp/B003ZMTPEW)
    My card shows +33A on the 12V rail, will I need to upgrade my PSU for this card? It says its needs a minimum of 450W which is what my PSU is.

Thanks yet again!
    Last edited by licwid; 2011-11-20 at 08:52 PM.

Go the second build, the i5k is the best cpu on the market atm (wow rapes the cpu due to out dated programming). Boost the psu to at least a 600 and look into a nvidia GTX 560ti, extremly good performance at a budget price.

Thanks Jakexe. I updated my two build options based on your suggestions and added them to my first post.

I'm really leaning toward build 2 even though its more than I need currently. I like build 2 as it would allow me to use my system longer. Considering I've had my current machine 5 years, it seems like it may be a wise choice to spend slightly more money now.

So, what i'm considering doing right now is waiting on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, and if I don't find any good deals on PSU/GPU i'll just get all of the other parts. . I'd then just use my 7900GS, and see about overclocking. Around January/February I would pick up a new GPU/PSU so that I'm not spending all the money at once.

Thanks guys, you've been very helpful. I'll let you know what I end up doing!

Cool

I did some shopping locally and found some interesting deals, so i'm going to future proof my build so it can hopefully last me even longer than my current build (5.5 years). Oh, the combo deal is if you purchase an i5 2500k with certain p67 or z68 motherboards you get $60 of the motherboard. Any prices including tax are deals found at my local micro center.

[*]CPU - Intel Core i5 2500k - $172 (with tax)
    [*]MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 - $96 (combo deal with tax)
    [*]PSU - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus 700W - $39 (with tax)

[*]Case - Antec Three Hundred - $35 shipped
    [*]RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR 1600 - $45

[*]GPU - MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560 Ti - $225 (after MIR)
    [*]Heatsink - Corsair A70 - $19 after MIR

Total: approximately $631 (after rebates) ($19 under budget )

The only item I have a question about now is the motherboard. Is there any reason to get the $89 motherboard (below) over the $79 one? As far as I can tell the main difference is the ports that are available and the color? Is this correct?

(prices after $60 combo discount at microcenter)
    • $89.99 - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H
    • $79.99 - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
    Last edited by licwid; 2011-11-23 at 06:05 PM.

Deleted
    I would personally go for the GA-Z68X-UD3H motherboard, mostly because it's feature-set is unmatched at that price. It might have more than you need however, so I would simply advise you to look them all up and see what features they all bring to the table versus what you need.

Anyway, a good review of the Z68X-UD3H mainboard can be found here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...erboard/1290/1

The linked PSU is a solid choice with the core parts being from Seasonic, but very much overkill for your intended build. A good 500W (e.g. the XFX CoreEdition 550W) PSU is good enough for a single 560 Ti setup with overclocks, and if you intend to SLI in the future a good 700W is recommended.

Further, your build is getting fairly high end and a case like the Gamma, while good, will not do it justice. I would advise to invest a bit more in your case to get something that is easier to work with and offers a few more features. The Gamma is after all a very strict budget pick. Some suggestions (that are still fairly cheap) would be:
    Antec 300 Illusion, Cooler Master HAF 922, NZXT Apollo, NZXT H2, Xigmatec Utgard (and so on). Feel free to browse the Case Catalog here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4-Case-Catalog

And finally, I would suggest a more prominent cooler with better price/performance. The Corsair A70 is a very solid choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I would personally go for the GA-Z68X-UD3H motherboard, mostly because it's feature-set is unmatched at that price. It might have more than you need however, so I would simply advise you to look them all up and see what features they all bring to the table versus what you need.

Anyway, a good review of the Z68X-UD3H mainboard can be found here: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...erboard/1290/1
    Thanks Marest. The reason I chose the cheaper board is based on what I saw in this comparison. However, I figured there may be something missing other than the port differences. I do prefer the black color of the board, so since they are so similar in features and price, that may be the deciding factor for me.

The linked PSU is a solid choice with the core parts being from Seasonic, but very much overkill for your intended build. A good 500W (e.g. the XFX CoreEdition 550W) PSU is good enough for a single 560 Ti setup with overclocks, and if you intend to SLI in the future a good 700W is recommended.
    The reason I am looking at such a powerful PSU is for future proofing. In 2 years or so if a game comes out that this build won't handle at or near max, i'll probably try to pick up a second GPU and SLI them. I'll also probably end up overclocking the CPU around that time as well (once the warranty is gone on the CPU).
    When I plugged this info into a PSU calculator, it showed 700w being recommended based on the setup I may have at that time, so I figured 760W would give me a little extra comfort just in case. However, I have been thinking about the Cooler Master eXtreme Power 700W PSU that will be on sale for $35 this Friday.

Further, your build is getting fairly high end and a case like the Gamma, while good, will not do it justice. I would advise to invest a bit more in your case to get something that is easier to work with and offers a few more features. The Gamma is after all a very strict budget pick. Some suggestions (that are still fairly cheap) would be:
    Antec 300 Illusion, Cooler Master HAF 922, NZXT Apollo, NZXT H2, Xigmatec Utgard (and so on). Feel free to browse the Case Catalog here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...4-Case-Catalog

And finally, I would suggest a more prominent cooler with better price/performance. The Corsair A70 is a very solid choice.
    Yeah, after going into micro center I realized I could get better parts in my price range in store versus online, so I started upgrading lol. I may need to back down a little however if I'm not matching everything up so well.

I had also been looking at the Antec Three Hundred, and the Cooler Master Elite 430 both of which are around $40 or less at micro center. However when looking at reviews, I saw a few reviews with builds similar to mine that loved the NZXT so I didn't change the choice.

The heatsink was a last minute addition that i chose over the Hyper 212+. I'll take a look at the a70 and see. However, I'm trying to stay as close to $650 as I can.

I think i'm going to go with the Antec 300. The only difference from the Antec 300 Illusion appears to be fans. However, since the price difference is currently $35. I'm fairly certain I can pick up quite a few fans for $35 .

I was looking at a review that puts the A70 performance right on par with the V6GT. This is why I initally chose the V6GT as it was cheaper. However, Newegg has the a70 for $19 after MIR. So A70 it is!

I hate updated my original post to now reflect what should be a pretty final list. Let me know if anyone notices any issues with items chosen.