Deleted

Internet slower than it should be

Hi

Yesterday my internet connection would constantly crash and my router was flashing red and not the usual green. I restarted the router which did make the internet faster but I still had the problem, restarting the router a few hours later fixed it.

Today I checked speedtest.net as well as pingtest.net and my internet speed was faster than it usually is. I had 5 mbit/s download speed and 30 ms ping so I thought everything was fine but when I then tried to watch videos on youtube, wimp.com and a few other sites the video would barely load. When my internet is this good I can easily watch 720p videos without having to wait for the video to load at all, now I have to wait no matter which quality I play it at. I tried a lot of different videos and even videos that I knew that I had watched before at 720p without any problems.

The loading bar doesn't move at the same "smooth" speed, it's "choppy" and moves fast at first and then after a second or two it moves again. This is happening regardless of which quality I use, 480p usually load 5-10 times as fast as I can watch. Pictures and sites doesn't seem to be slower than usual.

What could possibly cause this problem? Is my router getting too old? Could the cold weather be freezing the bad cables?

Thanks in advance,
    Redoxe

Deleted
    Try the youtube speed test as well(right click a vid, "Take speed test", what does that give you?

Deleted

(My speed, My internet provider/network, Halmstad (where I live), Sweden)

I also did the Video test and noticed that every second it would stop completely, going from 200-1000 kbps to 0 (360 kbps on average).

According to speedtest.net my download speed has been above 4 mbit/s all day and ping has been around 30-40.
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-11-17 at 05:39 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some ISP's experience issues in service throughout some areas. If you have a red INET light on your modem/router from your ISP (especially if you have DSL), this is indicative of timeouts/disconnects/the modem powercycling. If this is the case, powercycle (much as you did already), and see if the issue improves. If a powercycle doesn't fix the issue, I'd wait 24 hours to see if the issue resolves itself. If it does, then it was likely a service outage, as those do occur due to faulty equipment, and local issues. If not, contact your ISP, as they can dispatch a technician to resolve an issue, especially if you're experiencing poor service quality and/or poor line stats.

Another option to determine what's going on with your connection is to run a continuous ping test to a popular/well organized website (such as google). This can be done on any OS (Windows/Mac/etc), and will give you an idea of your current line quality. If you're a windows user, Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command prompt, and type in "ping google.com -t" which will give you a constant readout. Googles ping, documented in "ms" in the command prompt should not be higher than 150ms. If you're experiencing numerous issues with your inet, and plan on calling your ISP, type in "ping google.com -n 100", and notate the result after the pingtest is complete. This will determine if you're suffering packet loss, or if another issue is the cause.

Deleted
    49 ms when pinging google.com. When I pinged youtube.com I had between 50-70 ms and one "Request timed out". Wimp.com is still very slow but youtube is even worse. Pinging wimp.com gave me 125~ ms.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    That could just be DNS routing issues.

What speeds are you provisioned for? (aka what speeds are you paying for)

Only 1 request time out means that you're still within the normal range of timeouts/packets lost, sadly enough.

Deleted
    I'm paying for "Up to 24 mbit/s" and I usually get 4 mbit/s. I can usually watch 720p videos without any issues and now I can barely listen to music on grooveshark.com or watch videos on wimp.com. Youtube is just awful and takes 30 min to even load a video while watchop.com (anime) works just fine.

I'll restart my router again to see if it makes things better. I think it's time to get a new router because my parents are great at "accidently" kicking it when they walk past it. They insist that we can't have the router anywhere else so we have it on our kitchen floor right next to the place we keep our bread (It's most likely filled with bread crumbs by now).

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're provisioned for 24mbps, the guarantee should be at least 15. I'm sure ISP speed policies don't vary that much for overseas ISPs (I work for a few ISPs as a tech support supervisor for a few large American ISPs). If your modem/router is third party, I'd def get a new one after making a call to your ISP. If your modem/router is from your ISP, I'd definitely call them. If you're only getting 4mbps, and you're provisioned for 24, they should be able to escalate a repair order/ticket to get your fixed/working normally.

Deleted
    I think it's fixed now. I'm getting 4000~ kbps on the youtube video test even though speedtest is still showing the same results as before.

My father decided to show me the massive mess of cables and dust behind the couch, he wanted to cut some cables and attach them again (I've read that this is really bad but they told me that this was not the first time they did this to those cables). I guess the best thing would be letting a professional do it or change from ADSL to fiberlan which doesn't rely on our 50 year old/poorly fixed cables.

I know that my parents have talked to our internet provided and that they have been here a few times, we did get a new router one time but we never got any higher than 6 mbit/s. While 24 mbit/s would be nice I'm happy if everything is working.

Playing a video at 720p!
    Last edited by mmocf3e8550591; 2011-11-17 at 08:09 PM.