Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Um, they use almost identical controls in Rift as WoW. And they can be configured as well...

That's literally not a valid concern.

ive tryed to re play it recently , waited 2 hours in Q for a dungeon i gave up .. i mean wow .. is it the server i was on or i just had terrible luck that day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zexal View Post
    ive tryed to re play it recently , waited 2 hours in Q for a dungeon i gave up .. i mean wow .. is it the server i was on or i just had terrible luck that day ?
    Alot of that is people simply do not pug in large numbers in Rift.Most run with their guilds only or with a group of close friends.

Pugging in Rift is not as wide spread as it is in WoW.At least on the two shards I play on.

I wish they added content faster
    I wish 20 and 10man raids were separated and not the same crap
    I wish there was a reason to leave the city
    I wish they never charged for transfers
    I wish they gave me more options for roles so I do not have to roll so many alts
    I wish they took the good stuff from EQ2
    I wish there was more solo/duo/5man content
    These are the exact reasons I love Rift so much.

It is similar to WoW in terms of controls and play,but what MMO is not the same as the next.

There are reasons to leave the city.
    The content from them comes fast and regular.No month after month long waits between content.
    They actually fix bugs and problems rapidly with regularly released hotfixes.No months between the bug being found and the hotfix getting released to fix it.It is more like hours to days.
    There is plenty to do at all times and levels.

There is more that I can go on about but needless to say I love the game and will be playing it for some time to come.
    Last edited by Leodegrance; 2011-11-17 at 11:21 PM.

Im really tempted to make the switch from WoW to Rift. Not looking forward to starting over again, but the game looks like it has a smoother style.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    It may be because I only played for two months (right at release), but Rift simply couldn't hold my interest. The starting zone was amazing, but the story didn't suck me in, the zones (at least early level ones) didn't differ much from one another, and while nice, the graphics just didn't do much for me (except for the rift openings...those are sick). It's a solid MMO, don't get me wrong, it's just not much different than others out there.

To ask a question of current Rift players, how's the population now? When I played, it was so low that I felt like I was playing a single-player game. Even the guilds I was in (three total) barely ever had anyone online. That's probably what killed it for me to begin with, the lack of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    was in the beta and the first month or so of rift, while fun when you played with a group of people near your level, ig was a terrible grind where you can only pull 2 or 3 mobs, and barely live, alone.
    Good GROUP game, poor SOLO leveling IMO, unless in the last, what 6 patches and 100 hotfixes they changed something

Quote Originally Posted by Zexal View Post
    Rift's LFG system has a somewhat different player mentality behind it when it comes to PUGing.

For one, the need to run dungeons pre level 50 randomly is very low with the speed of XP gain. One easily out levels that content. Making dungeon runs before 50 essentially "fun runs". Guilds tend to do them but PUGs, not so much.

At 50, LFG runs are also needed for a shorter period in contrast to WoW. Those that simply need the run for a daily bonus do so in pre-mades. Pre-mades being extremely common in Rift.

Also all LFG systems are bound to the bottle neck of Tanks/Heals. If you want to get a run quicker in LFG you need to learn how to queue as tank, healer, DPS and support when possible. Because there simply isn't the need or desire for thousands of players to do their Troll Heroics.

And there are certainly not 10 million Prot Warriors just waiting to tank t2 dungeons for random PUGs- there might be like 3 willing tanks in all the server.

The dungeon circuit is shorter in Rift compared to Warcraft. You simply are done with gearing sooner and move to raiding a lot quicker.

was in the beta and the first month or so of rift, while fun when you played with a group of people near your level, ig was a terrible grind where you can only pull 2 or 3 mobs, and barely live, alone.
    Good GROUP game, poor SOLO leveling IMO, unless in the last, what 6 patches and 100 hotfixes they changed something
    This changed significantly.

Mob density and strength are dramatically lowered from beta. In beta all the settings were purposefully jacked up.

What's more they added mob scaling and player buffs during invasions/DEs. So that if you are solo or in a small group, the world content scales in line with what you can reasonably handle. Scaling up as more people join. Or down as needed.

To ask a question of current Rift players, how's the population now? When I played, it was so low that I felt like I was playing a single-player game. Even the guilds I was in (three total) barely ever had anyone online. That's probably what killed it for me to begin with, the lack of people.
    Population is pretty healthy. During major zone events there are typically 60-100 Defiant out running in large groups of 20. So much so you sometimes can't even reach a rift or world boss in time because everyone jumped on it in such great numbers.

That doesn't even include Guardians doing the same alongside Defiant.

Also the introduction of open world PVP sees lots of /global chatter about so&so attacking this or that. I see PVP players running to the PVP rifts all over the place. I don't PVP though so... not much more I can say than that.

This has been my experience on 3 servers. My guild has more people raid capable than we can fit into a raid weekly.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2011-11-17 at 11:33 PM.

RIFT is amazing, I quit wow a couple months ago, and haven't looked back. wow may not be dead for everyone, but it is to me. so many things they did wrong, and RIFT fixed them. I play on a laptop and use lower settings, and it works great, everyone once in a while a frame skips when theres 40-50 people casting spells on a world boss, but otherwise it runs great on my 2 year old laptop.

if you want to be competitive, top raider with best gear or top scores in warfronts (battlegrounds) you'll need more than a 2 year old laptop, but otherwise, questing and groups of 10-15 people, framerate isn't a problem.

RIFT is a lot like wow, at least on the surface. there's questing and green, blue, purple item quality like in wow, though much less purple gear. you can have 3 professions on a character.

if you're looking for something new, rift is great, its not wow, and a lot of things like improving character stats after max level by participating in zone events,

there's tank, healer, support + 2 dps for 5 man dungeons. groups are open and you can join anyone's group unless they set it to private. community is awesome, especially on oceanic servers (hawaii, new zealand, australia) people are friendly and people rarely troll trade chat. mature players with satirical, observational humor, intelligent jokes in chat, no anal jokes.

best community I've seen in an MMO.

lots of new content every couple weeks and zone events every day.

RIFT fixed most of the things players didn't like in wow, but tolerated because they didn't want to quit and lose their characters.

I really like rift, the best way to see what its like is the free trial, most importantly to see if your computer can handle the graphics, no matter what anyone says about how great it is, if your computer gets 20 fps, it won't work for you.

hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Also all LFG systems are bound to the bottle neck of Tanks/Heals. If you want to get a run quicker in LFG you need to learn how to queue as tank, healer, DPS and support when possible. Because there simply isn't the need or desire for thousands of players to do their Troll Heroics.
    The big difference between Rift and WoW, imo, is that there's no pure-dps classes. If you don't have buddies available to tank, heal, or support... you really NEED to pick one of those roles yourself. That's not a bad thing, imo, as it encourages people to diversify... Of course, WoW is limited by the classes that simply CANT become healers or tanks.

The lack of PUGs ? I've heard some servers are pretty decent at that... seen a few at different times on my server as well... but even in WoW, pugging is dead. At least in Rift you can transfer servers to find one with the sort of pug-mentality you want... and well, most Rift raiding guilds have a 'mature/casual' philosophy about raiding, even the 'hardcore' guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried playing it, quite a nice game. But... not my thing

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    but even in WoW, pugging is dead.
    I just did 2 pug raids in WoW? And there are tons of pugs going on all the time.

I played Rift a bit in beta but it felt like it was the same I've been playing for 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    The big difference between Rift and WoW, imo, is that there's no pure-dps classes. If you don't have buddies available to tank, heal, or support... you really NEED to pick one of those roles yourself. That's not a bad thing, imo, as it encourages people to diversify... Of course, WoW is limited by the classes that simply CANT become healers or tanks.
    Well, the Rift class system is the only true break from WOW they made.

3 out of 4 classes tank, support, DPS and heal.
    3 out of 4 classes heal, support and DPS.

Pure classes are just not the norm in Rift. It's mostly hybrids. To some degree that has to have some appeal to a player sick of singular classes such as Everquest/Warcraft.

The lack of PUGs ? I've heard some servers are pretty decent at that... seen a few at different times on my server as well... but even in WoW, pugging is dead. At least in Rift you can transfer servers to find one with the sort of pug-mentality you want... and well, most Rift raiding guilds have a 'mature/casual' philosophy about raiding, even the 'hardcore' guilds.
    Let me clarify; PUGs or randoms for 5 man dungeons are hard to find.

PUGs for DRR (open world raids) and 10 man weeklies are common. But as I said above, the dungeon grind is relatively short in Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterCSH View Post
    However one point I'd like to make is the Europe servers aren't that many compared to what you see on WoW, for obvious reasons and there don't seem to be many people leveling but it is rather late now so I guess that is why.
    I think this is the case in EU a lot. Saw a few EU players on the official forums that also say the same.

US servers are a little more packed though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawQQ View Post
    Since I only play wow when we raid I wanna know if rift is worth trying again, and I really wanna hear your guys opinion about the current state of rift.
    Im currently on trial but I like it so far. Friendly community, fun with rifts and I like warfronts as well. I will probably buy the game this weekend and go for lvl 50 on the one I decided to make my main, will play with my friends from scratch with a new one as well but think that will happen later.
    Seems like the game got much going on, especially in weekends and thats when I have time to play. I also like the rank system in pvp, that I always will have something to strive for even though I might just play a couple of warfronts a week.
    Pretty sure I will keep playing it until GW2 is out, and depending on Rift updates I might keep it around since GW2 is F2P, but most likely I wont have time for both =/

Deleted
    Rift is a great game, especially the initial experience. It's close to how it was playing WoW for the first time. I'm thinking of the first time a rift invasion happened at the area I was in, and people from a lot of different areas in the game came to defend the place. I got lost had no idea what was happening, but I had a hell of a lot of fun.

However, you have to remember Blizz has been in this business for a long time, and as a result WoW is very smooth. It felt obvious to me that Rift was treading new waters. I imagine the people are the same as they're mostly old WoW players :P ofc I haven't played Rift in a while so it might not be exactly as I'm describing it. Finally, I imagine Rift might get old fast, that's just my impression from what experience I have of it.

Bottom-line... It's worth a try (at least the free game time you get) if you enjoy it, feel free to keep playing. Just remember that if you get as bored with it as you apparently are with WoW, then you may aswell jump back to WoW, as good stuff is on it's way.

Edit: Also it's different game-play! Keep this in mind as you may prefer one to the other

That new patch trailer looks amazing; I played in the beta and enjoyed it, but never actually bothered to pick it up. However, at that price ($30 for game + 1 month), I know what I'll be doing this weekend

Trion really seems to be doing everything that Blizzard has been failing at lately -- designing interesting zones and landscapes, providing new content frequently, and well, beautiful graphics -- I'm surprised I didn't see it sooner.
    Last edited by anathama; 2011-11-18 at 10:09 AM.

One more thing! I have created a Cleric and is it good to choose; Shaman + Druid, and not sure what to get for third as I re created this Character this morning after playing a Rogue.
    I leveled my druid just using those two classes. levelling was fast with no downtime except to revive pet when it(or i) did something stupid. my third class was justicar, though i had put no points into it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually want to know why they're aren't more people playing RIFT, I understand people may see similarities with WoW, but then just from playing it for a short time I think it is already better.
    That's a pretty easy question to answer. First is the PC requirements, many people have old machines which are fine for wow but choke in Rift. There's also no MAC client so that takes a hit too.

Many wow players have a huge investment into their characters, guilds and friends in the game so regardless of how bored or stale the game has become to them they won't do a migration to a somewhat similar game. Rift has left a sour taste in the eye's of some wow players with their early marketing campaign and can't or won't look past it. Lastly some people just don't want to change IPs they are loyal to the Blizzard brand.

So be it I'm not going to knock their choices if wow is their game of choice and they feel they are getting their bang for their buck from their sub, excellent I say.

<Insert glowing endorsement here>
    I'm absolutely loving Rift at the moment, I'm really annoyed work is preventing me from raiding for the next month
    Especially since I'm going to miss the better half of our Akylios progression.
    Honestly this game is the most fun I've had in an mmo and I played WoW with good friends of mine IRL. The people I've met are awesome, even if they are murkans...

Deleted
    Thank you for all the responds! I think i have got something I will try out again when I get some money Again thanks for the responds!

Uhh btw, how is PvP? Is it better then wow or worse?
    Last edited by mmoc55eff8070f; 2011-11-20 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by CrawQQ View Post
    Thank you for all the responds! I think i have got something I will try out again when I get some money Again thanks for the responds!

Uhh btw, how is PvP? Is it better then wow or worse?
    Lets put it like this. If this game never had pvp it would probably have more subs then WoW right now. It is not exactly their best shining area when it comes to balance. Lately the mage dev managed to fix a ton of issues with Mages, but in the process turned them into glass cannons again which upsets people.

Personally I just avoid it. Even in WoW I did also so.