Help with Heroic Rhyolith

My guilds current composition is, resto druid, holy pally, disc priest, dpsing is MM hunter, ret pally, 2 arms warrior, fire mage, and warlock, and our tank is a prot pally.

What we are currently doing is having our 3 range on adds, and the 3 melee steering and doing damage to legs, we try to put the range on legs after adds but idoesnt happen mostly because they dont go down fast. Adds are maintainable and we usually go passed 3 sparks. Aswell all of our healers and range are stacking and moving together for aoe heals.
    Should our mage really be fire? does fire do more aoe damage?

Here is our log from our best attempt.
    worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-jlhrgyjucijnndle/dashboard/?s=5651&e=5935

thanks in advance

should be 2 healing this while progression content for your gear level. Once on farm/overgeared, can 3 heal for *ease/safety*

Kill the third spark, kill the 2 sets of fragments that come out after it, 4th spark comes out, lust, ignore the spark burn the boss legs -- WARN YOUR DRIVER THAT THE TURNS WILL BE MUCH SHARPER!!!!!!

Deleted
    Without looking at your log i would suggest to put one melee on add duty and let the priest spec into A/A to keep the tank up while sparktanking. Tell the ranged dps to switch on spark after he hit at least 3 stacks to increase damage output.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanillashake View Post
    Without looking at your log i would suggest to put one melee on add duty and let the priest spec into A/A to keep the tank up while sparktanking. Tell the ranged dps to switch on spark after he hit at least 3 stacks to increase damage output.
    if i did that there would only be 2 dps on legs, not even close enough to push phase in time

Deleted
    2healers should be fine for this fight, as long as you have the driving sorted and decent dps to kill the adds/dps the feet correctly

While this fight is certainly 3 healable (if that's what you need to do), it is hardly necessary and is usually only done when farmed and/or overgeared. If you're finding that your elementals are overlapping or Rhyolith is getting superheated before Phase 2, then you will probably need to have a healer switch to a dps off spec or be sat for a dps. Ideally, running resto druid and disc priest would be your best bet because you'll be able to survive when you have high eruption stacks and you'll also be able to top people off easily. However, shadow and balance are both really excellent on this fight. You may have to experiment and find your sweet spot.

As for the mage and warlock, arcane and demonology are fine. The mage will contribute the most to burning down the sparks quickly, while the warlock (who should be using hellfire, tsk tsk) will contribute the most to fragment, obsidian, and leg cleave damage.

Having Meele on the legs is smart. Isn't Surv better for the hunter if you have him on AoEing the adds? Our hunter+our lock manages the adds fine by themselfes, with the other ranged changing to the large add when it spawns. Also we play with 2 healers, which should be standard for just about everything except Bethilac, if you are having issues with the healing it's most likely because you don't manage to steer Rhyo into the active volcanos fast enough, granting you very many stacks of increased fire dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by odrama24 View Post
    Should our mage really be fire? does fire do more aoe damage?
    If you're having trouble getting the adds down fast enough, then I would say yes, have the mage go fire. It will let him/her do a lot more AOE damage since they should be able to spread all their dots to each add.

On normal, fire is pretty useless as the adds go down so fast a fire mage doesn't have time to spread the dots, etc...but on heroic, I'd definitely give fire a try, especially if you're having trouble with adds!

Go 2 healers, have 7 DPSers on legs, everyone standing under the boss, small adds dies from cleaves/melee aoe. Once a big add spawns the tank moves like 15-20 yards away from boss with it and all ranged kill it in 10 seconds, then tank moves in under boss again and 7 DPSers on legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    When you play a video game, you don't put any "effort" into it at all. You're pushing keys on a keyboard, you're not running a marathon or playing a sport.

I had some issues when we were progressing on on ryolith, and I made the changes to suit my guild, i will provide the tactic we used with the classes you have
    Warriors: each on a different leg ALL the time
    MM hunter and ret pala do the driving and steering
    either priest or druid should go caster dps and along with the lock and mage nuke the adds
    use 2 healers and 1 tank for the fight
    u would want high dps on legs constantly because the boss will get superheated in 5 mins, when u get to 40% hp on boss pop bloodlust and nuke 1 leg to keep him turning in 1 place, that should get you to p2 where ppl spread for the beam and burn
    as far as the volcanoes just go for the active volcanoes
    this worked for us while i drive the boss (hunter)
    Legionnaire Nazgrim yells: Thrall's balls! They're everywhere...

Thanks to Shyama for the lovely signature

thanks alot for the input, can someone please show me a good rotation for the warlock?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Actually read through ur log*

As far as your add dps goes, your demo warlocks dps to adds was much lower than the hunter and the mage, his immo aura did a total of 3k over 8 ticks, presumably to the legs and nothing on the adds.

Looks to be a somewhat steering issue and keeping up with the aoe heals of higher stacks of eruption on those ppl who aren't ranged and stacked.

You should be 2 healing it.