Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by washacked View Post
    that $2,200,000,000 TV deal has to pay the bills though, right?
    If you are referring to the SEC Network, the PAC 12 does the same shit and it infuriates me because they're still holding out with DirecTV for more money. Ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    A&M whipped that ass at home. bama gets a second chance
    LSU whips that ass at home. bama gets a second chance
    that's 2 second chances in 2 years while other teams just want a first chance

that $2,200,000,000 TV deal has to pay the bills though, right?

last time the SEC got treated like the rest of the nation is when auburn went undefeated and didn't get a shot at the title...back in 2004
    if you want an answer to "is the SEC really better than everyone else" then look at A&M and missouri. they're doing just fine in the SEC
    Or, you know, you could look at six of the last seven national title games (since one was SEC vs. SEC)

Johnny Manziel on the bench, hurt. Not good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Johnny Manziel on the bench, hurt. Not good.
    Probably just a sprain from the replay.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Penn State just won.

- - - Updated - - -

And Stanford lost apparently lol.

Damn you huskies, Penn state/Michigan game was pretty good... finally, interested in seeing how manziel plays now

Quote Originally Posted by TheFNK View Post
    Again the year LSU beat them 4 teams had the inside track to that title game. ALL of them got beat by cupcakes. Who do you take? A team that lost to the top ranked Tigers or a team that lost to Nobody U?

As a Tiger fan I hate that we got beat by Bama in the title game. But I don't blame Bama. I blame all the schools that had a chance and choked. WIN YOUR GAMES!!!
    you give it to the teams who beat multiple ranked teams in november, not the 1 who lost their damn division lol
    oregon and ok state both had a loss in november just like bama. they also both had the same record with more quality wins late that year. OK state ended up with 3 wins in 5 games vs top 15 teams. oregon had a top 5 win late. they were both playing well late and we had already seen LSU vs ALA

alabama had chance after chance against an overrated LSU team on november 5th and they simply choked. AJ McGamemanager choked. meanwhile OKSt loses to ISU after a major tragedy. no slack was given. were they playing well that season? yes, all year long, multiple high quality wins. same for oregon except they choked, just like bama, in november, just like bama

but these teams did win their division and conference

bama did not.

when something doesn't seem right, like the crowned "best team in college football" not being the best team in their conference or division, it's usually because it isn't right

how different would history be if teams all got a second chance and not just SEC teams?

there is a clear bias and it's funny how many 1 loss teams were still top 20 teams and how they were all from one conference. it's funny how a&m and missouri come into the SEC and are playing VERY well right now, with missouri even picked to possibly win their division. it's funny how a fringe team will get about 20 more votes than the week before just to edge them into the top 25 when they face another SEC team

SEC gets more chances than anyone else. it's just reality. it's also reality that it has to do with the huge ESPN contract and nothing else. after the lowest rated BCS game in history, i mean, the LSU vs ALA rematch, i don't think even ESPN can afford to have that debacle again

so i don't expect an SEC rematch as a title game, but i do expect alabama to lose a game this year and get a second chance

we're gonna see how legit FSU is next week, and with jameis winston playing like the best QB in the nation, thinking he's the best QB inthe nation and literally having no weakness at all, if they win at clemson, they're in the driver's seat

i hope to hell FSU and bama meet in the BCS title game and FSU breaks their nose like they did a few years ago
    Last edited by washacked; 2013-10-13 at 01:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a clear bias here and it isn't from ESPN and the NCAA buddy.

You are right though. Losing to ISU and losing to LSU that year are TOTALLY comparable. That isn't something completely ridiculous.

Nope.

Not crazy at all.

Also that Oregon team lost twice. And we had already seen Oregon - LSU. It was a rout.
    Last edited by TheFNK; 2013-10-13 at 01:26 AM.
    Nominated Most Average Healer Ever
    My Shaman: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...omous/advanced
    My Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tamus/advanced
    Pokemon Y FC: 1736-1594-7603 // Name: Human?
    Ghost Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care if it bores people, I still want to see Bama and Oregon play again this year.

Also, I find it odd that Drake is getting most of the carries for Alabama over TJ Yeldon. It's not due to fumbles, because both have fumbled the ball.
    After Stanford and Georgia's loss, the Oregon/Alabama game might be the only good thing in town. Alabama may have stumbled a little against Kentucky, but they are crushing them now. And no one can fault a bad quarter.

- - - Updated - - -

Also that Oregon team lost twice. And we had already seen Oregon - LSU. It was a rout.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Oregon hasn't been "routed" in more than a decade.

You are right though. Losing to ISU and losing to LSU that year are TOTALLY comparable. That isn't something completely ridiculous.

Nope.

Not crazy at all.

I'm happy we're on the same page. Losing to ISU after a major tragedy, in overtime, compared to not being able to score a touchdown against LSU are not comparable. Also, if OSU's loss had happened earlier in the year, they would've been ranked higher than Alabama anyway. Everyone agrees the BCS system sucks. Not sure why you disagree.

Nope.

Not crazy at all.

well maybe the national champ will at least win their own division this year. maybe they won't drop a major home game this year. maybe they won't win their conference thanks to the classic mark richt choke.

maybe they'll earn it this year

Flawed algorithms with arbitrarily chosen metrics are a GREAT way to rank teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankitbetter View Post
    I'm happy we're on the same page. Losing to ISU after a major tragedy, in overtime, compared to not being able to score a touchdown against LSU are not comparable. Also, if OSU's loss had happened earlier in the year, they would've been ranked higher than Alabama anyway. Everyone agrees the BCS system sucks. Not sure why you disagree.
    I don't necessarily disagree. I just find a marked distinction between losing to the #1 team in the nation in OT and losing to an unranked team in 2OT. If you want to make the argument that the tragedy should matter in a case that egregiously disparate then maybe we should give Notre Dame last years championship due to the tragic death of Lennay Kekua.
    Nominated Most Average Healer Ever
    My Shaman: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...omous/advanced
    My Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tamus/advanced
    Pokemon Y FC: 1736-1594-7603 // Name: Human?
    Ghost Safari: Shuppet, Phantump, Golurk

10+ Year Old Account
    well maybe the national champ will at least win their own division this year. maybe they won't drop a major home game this year. maybe they won't win their conference thanks to the classic mark richt choke.

maybe they'll earn it this year
    You mean like last year when Alabama beat Georgia in the SEC title game, then went on to blowout Notre Dame in the national title game? Or how Auburn went 13-0 in 2010 and won the national title? 2009 when Bama went undefeated and took out Colt McCoy in the title game? 2008 Florida went 13-1, beat Alabama in the SEC title game and Oklahoma in the national title game? 2007 LSU winning the SEC title and national title game? Oddly enough, no one-loss teams that year. 2006 Florida a one-loss team beating Arkansas in the SEC title game and blowing out Ohio State in the national title game?

Yes, 2011 was a weird year. And I've gone on record as saying that Alabama should not have been in the title game. But you cannot just ignore all these other years, and saying that there's a bias because of one really weird year. FNK is right. Bama's loss was to LSU, other teams lost against bad teams. The rankings does not factor in emotional drama either.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You mean like last year when Alabama beat Georgia in the SEC title game, then went on to blowout Notre Dame in the national title game? Or how Auburn went 13-0 in 2010 and won the national title? 2009 when Bama went undefeated and took out Colt McCoy in the title game? 2008 Florida went 13-1, beat Alabama in the SEC title game and Oklahoma in the national title game? 2007 LSU winning the SEC title and national title game? Oddly enough, no one-loss teams that year. 2006 Florida a one-loss team beating Arkansas in the SEC title game and blowing out Ohio State in the national title game?

Yes, 2011 was a weird year. And I've gone on record as saying that Alabama should not have been in the title game. But you cannot just ignore all these other years, and saying that there's a bias because of one really weird year. FNK is right. Bama's loss was to LSU, other teams lost against bad teams. The rankings does not factor in emotional drama either.
    Even with some kind of "flawed" year, whatever that means, the SEC has dominated. And I'm a Pac-10(12!) diehard. While I think the SEC is overrated, there is no doubt they are a championship conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    ya lots of upsets Wisconsin up on NW, Kansas up on Baylor, PSU up on michigan, Texas beat oklahoma and Missouri beat Georgia

nice Clemson got another TD
    You do know Wisconsin was like 13 point favorites in that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    You do know Wisconsin was like 13 point favorites in that, right?
    I thought the spread was 10.5. Still, you know it's not a "big" upset when Vegas has the unranked team beating the ranked. It's more of a problem with the ranking system in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Michigan infuriates me.

I am having a flat out amazing pick 'em season. I am #28 on Yahoo 86-57 on the year. First time I have ever cracked the top 50. This is the best I've done since I finished in the 96th percentile in 2008. I then proceeded to pick 34% of the bowls correctly. Good thing I don't gamble.

check out the new rankings

1 loss LSU ranked 6
    1 loss A&M squeaks by unranked Ole Miss and goes UP to #7
    2 loss UGA is still in the top 15
    uSC moves up

no bias at all. every single fucking SEC team is overrated. as long as they keep beating up on other overrated SEC teams the computers will love them though

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Even with some kind of "flawed" year, whatever that means, the SEC has dominated. And I'm a Pac-10(12!) diehard. While I think the SEC is overrated, there is no doubt they are a championship conference.
    who else would dominate if they got 2nd chances every year?

did the SEC somehow win the MNC back in 2004 when auburn went undefeated, beat the ACC champ but didn't get a title shot? nope, they were just like everyone else then.

then the multiple chances started happening and of course, they started winning. other than 2009 and 2010, the SEC simply benefited from an awful system
    hopefully they can't dodge the quality teams again this year. i wanna see bama run head first into FSU or clemson at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    check out the new rankings

1 loss LSU ranked 6
    1 loss A&M squeaks by unranked Ole Miss and goes UP to #7
    2 loss UGA is still in the top 15
    uSC moves up

no bias at all. every single fucking SEC team is overrated. as long as they keep beating up on other overrated SEC teams the computers will love them though
    In this case, since the BCS isn't out yet, starting position is important. The undefeated teams that are lower ranked are all ones that started out very low or even unranked (like Miami). All the previously high-ranking teams are still above everyone else. Stanford lost to a really bad Utah. Plus we all know losing later means lower ranked (still not even sure why). LSU's loss came to a healthy Georgia, A&M's to number one Alabama. Georgia has two losses, but one was to Clemson, and they beat both LSU and South Carolina. Again, the quality of your wins (and losses) matters, which is why Stanford is so low. Otherwise, there's nothing on that list that you can't justify without some heavy bias.

Except Auburn.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have said it once I have said it before yes it would be nice if SEC played non gimp teams and played better schools in their non conference games. The big downside to that is other conferences want us to play tough non conference games and tough conference games where they only get to play tough non conference games and easy conference games. I would love if my team played Arizona state, Arizona, UCLA, Cal, Oregon State, Colorado, Washington and Washington state every year that would be pretty amazing. Hell up until Harbaugh got to Stanford they were crap except for a few years with Tyrone Willingham and even the first few years of Harbaugh they were terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsguard View Post
    I have said it once I have said it before yes it would be nice if SEC played non gimp teams and played better schools in their non conference games. The big downside to that is other conferences want us to play tough non conference games and tough conference games where they only get to play tough non conference games and easy conference games. I would love if my team played Arizona state, Arizona, UCLA, Cal, Oregon State, Colorado, Washington and Washington state every year that would be pretty amazing. Hell up until Harbaugh got to Stanford they were crap except for a few years with Tyrone Willingham and even the first few years of Harbaugh they were terrible.
    Well, one of the Arizonas is usually playing well and so is one of the Cals. Oregon State is always around top 15 and Washington is starting to become a power.

How's Kentucky, Vandy and MSU and/or Ole Miss?