Thread: NCAA football

15+ Year Old Account
    Darqueze Dennard wins the Jim Thorpe Award. WOOT!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    That's exactly my point. Obviously Mariotta played tougher defenses than Lynch did, but how can you quantify that? Would you take Mariotta over Lynch even if Lynch had 1000, 2000, 4000 more yards than him? I mean where's the line? When do you say, "ok despite the easier schedule, his season is still more impressive?"

It's impossible to answer, so why even argue about it? Instead we can focus on the fact that Lynch twice this season broke the single game rushing record for QBs, say what you want about his schedule, but it's not like he's the first QB in history to play a schedule like his.

If you continue with that line of thinking then you might as well not have a Heisman from any conference other than the SEC, since they have the best conference. Any QBs stats in the SEC should be considered more impressive than Mariotta's right?
    You can quantify it pretty easily in a number of ways. The easiest is to just look at who each team played and asked if the sum of those contests constitute a tough schedule. Looking at Lynch's schedule I can say quite clearly and accurately, No, that was not a tough schedule. Likewise, I can look at Mariotta's schedule and say, Yes, that was a difficult schedule.

Granted, there is some HUGE wiggle room in there, as you pointed out. But some things are just obvious. Lynch's schedule is one of them. Also, the point about number of plays over the season is very relevant.

Regardless of all the above, and not dismissing my obvious bias for Mariotta, the Heisman list this year is embarrassingly bad and completely biased towards the east coast.

The Winston thing won't be going away. Victim's lawyer is basically showing proof the state hid evidence.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    The Winston thing won't be going away. Victim's lawyer is basically showing proof the state hid evidence.
    Seriously? I haven't seen anything in the media yet, where are you getting this info?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Seriously? I haven't seen anything in the media yet, where are you getting this info?
    Seems to be a falsified medical report, according to the attorney: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...jameis-winston

Well Mack Brown didn't step down and Saban signed an extension. Looks like Bama fans are safe for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Mack Brown is stepping down after all.

Heisman special is on ESPN right now.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You can quantify it pretty easily in a number of ways. The easiest is to just look at who each team played and asked if the sum of those contests constitute a tough schedule. Looking at Lynch's schedule I can say quite clearly and accurately, No, that was not a tough schedule. Likewise, I can look at Mariotta's schedule and say, Yes, that was a difficult schedule.

Granted, there is some HUGE wiggle room in there, as you pointed out. But some things are just obvious. Lynch's schedule is one of them. Also, the point about number of plays over the season is very relevant.

Regardless of all the above, and not dismissing my obvious bias for Mariotta, the Heisman list this year is embarrassingly bad and completely biased towards the east coast.
    Last thing I'll say is, it's also not as simple as saying school x which Oregon played is better than school x that NIU played. You also have to factor in that Oregon is a much better team than NIU is, so Mariotta's offensive line, WRs, and RBs are much better. So while say Washington State might be a better team on paper say than Buffalo from the MAC, the gap in talent between Oregon and Washington St. could easily be larger than the gap in talent between NIU and Buffalo, in which case it really doesn't matter that technically NIU's schedule is easier, because in this situation Mariotta is in a better position to succeed than Lynch.

There's so many factors to consider and it doesn't really matter because I don't think Winston was ever losing this, charge or no charge.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the winner is....

Jameis Winston. No real shocker. I was kind of rooting for Jordan Lynch.

I cant believe 115 people left him off their ballots. They need to be fired.

Rumored targets for Texas are Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, and Gus Malzahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Rumored targets for Texas are Mike Gundy, Jimbo Fisher, and Gus Malzahn.
    Only one that makes sense is Mike Gundy. He would already know the conference as well as the recruiting area. Jimbo Fisher wont leave FSU where he pretty much has an easy ride through a joke conference into the new playoffs.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Last thing I'll say is, it's also not as simple as saying school x which Oregon played is better than school x that NIU played. You also have to factor in that Oregon is a much better team than NIU is, so Mariotta's offensive line, WRs, and RBs are much better. So while say Washington State might be a better team on paper say than Buffalo from the MAC, the gap in talent between Oregon and Washington St. could easily be larger than the gap in talent between NIU and Buffalo, in which case it really doesn't matter that technically NIU's schedule is easier, because in this situation Mariotta is in a better position to succeed than Lynch.
    That is a very reasonable and well-thought-out point. (What are you doing on the interwebs?!?!!?) I think you're absolutely right that considering the talent behind the quarterbacks being compared is important.

Gundy won't get the job. Texas will go for a big name.

Other names rumored were Gary Kubiak and Dabo Swinney.
    Last edited by Vampiroth; 2013-12-15 at 04:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they hire Kubiak, I'll die laughing. The guy couldn't bring the very talented, if injury riddled Texans team to .500 this year at least. If they hire Kubiak, lots of fans will go rabid.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiroth View Post
    Gundy won't get the job. Texas will go for a big name.

Other names rumored were Gary Kubiak and Dabo Swinney.
    Gundy isn't a big name?

I don't think Gus Malzhon (spelling I'm sure) will leave Auburn after only one year, especially when he's playing for a BCS title.

Gundy is mediocre at best.

wait for it....wait for it...... Jim Tressel!

Also, how about the Army Navy game? yeah its a big who cares game, but that was a beauty to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    wait for it....wait for it...... Jim Tressel!

Also, how about the Army Navy game? yeah its a big who cares game, but that was a beauty to watch.
    I love watching Navy playing like its still the 1970s and u need 6 backs to run the wishbone
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2013-12-15 at 05:23 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I love watching Navy playing like its still the 1970s and u need 6 backs to run the wishbone
    and yet they still have been decently effective with that offense.