Thread: NCAA football

  1. #2801
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    The majority of next year's recruits are committed and signed before the season even begins. There's a handful that wait until Sept/Oct/Nov, but not many. This most recent college season will have the biggest impact on 2015/16 recruits.
    with the exception of colleges like Michigan, who for some reason could lose more than win and still get top recruiting classes >.>

  2. #2802
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    The majority of next year's recruits are committed and signed before the season even begins. There's a handful that wait until Sept/Oct/Nov, but not many. This most recent college season will have the biggest impact on 2015/16 recruits.
    yea except theres teams that have been just terrible for like the last decade. Tennessee and Kentucky are ahead of Clemson. Penn State is #24(i figured people wouldnt touch this school with a 10 foot pole for at least a decade like people did with SMU after they got the Death penalty) But the ones that schocked me was TN and KY being #3 and #12. Last time TN ended a season ranked was 2007 and I couldnt even find last time KY finished ranked. Its one thing to have a down year like Auburn did last year. That probably isnt going to hurt you as much. But TN and KY have had a down decade. Unless those kids are going "Hey those schools suck I can go there and be a star. Then I get noticed more and get an easy ride into the NFL"

  3. #2803
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    yea except theres teams that have been just terrible for like the last decade. Tennessee and Kentucky are ahead of Clemson. Penn State is #24(i figured people wouldnt touch this school with a 10 foot pole for at least a decade like people did with SMU after they got the Death penalty) But the ones that schocked me was TN and KY being #3 and #12. Last time TN ended a season ranked was 2007 and I couldnt even find last time KY finished ranked. Its one thing to have a down year like Auburn did last year. That probably isnt going to hurt you as much. But TN and KY have had a down decade. Unless those kids are going "Hey those schools suck I can go there and be a star. Then I get noticed more and get an easy ride into the NFL"
    honestly i don't pay much attention to recruiting rankings, because frankly, if you cannot develop the talent you are getting it doesn't mean anything.

    look at michigan. consistently top 10 recruiting classes, but they haven't really done much of late.
    look at schools like UCF. do you think they had a high recruiting rank?

  4. #2804
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    i really dont understand recruiting at all. Reading over rivals.com and the rankings just baffle me and just make no sense at all.

    Alabama, Ohio State, and Florida State are 3 of the top 4. OK I will buy that. Tennessee is #3 and are actually ahead of FSU. How the hell does having a terrible season where you finished unranked get you a better recruiting class than the national champions? Notre Dame is #7. They havent been relevant since Lou Holtz was there. Miami is #9. Yea their season was awesome unranked and blown out in their bowl game. Florida is #10 and GA Southern says Hi. Kentucky is #12 which is ahead of both Clemson and SC. I guess running the tables in reverse in conference play makes you a better team than the #4 and #7 teams in the country.

    So when do the rankings at Rivals actually start to get believable because there are some terrible teams with better recruiting classes than teams that finished the season ranked in the top 10.
    Performance matters to some, but history is more important overall. Tennessee has a great history of winning, and won the title not too long ago. You know, when these current recruits were growing up. My guess is that they want to help them win again.

    Facilities are a huge selling point. Campus life is huge. Playing time is a big deal to many top recruits. Guess who has open spots? The ability of the coaching staff is huge. Not to mention their knack for recruiting. Also, the style of play matters.

    I think current team performance is pretty low on most recruit's list. They know that they are going to be part of that team's future, not present. History is a good indicator of how a team will fare in the long run, not what they did this year.

  5. #2805
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I guess all things are arbitrary to those that refuse to follow reason.

    The official division of SEC fans in baseball is the NL East, duh. Shows how much you know...
    Yeah, cause there's any logical reason to root for ur rival. Reason dictates that I should stop responding to u cause u're delusional. Enjoy ur 2 loss streak into the offseason...

  6. #2806
    Blademaster slvlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
    Yeah, cause there's any logical reason to root for ur rival. Reason dictates that I should stop responding to u cause u're delusional. Enjoy ur 2 loss streak into the offseason...
    Considering that every SEC school receives a portion of the conference's total bowl winnings, I'd say that's a logical reason to root for a rival whether you personally agree with it or not. That's not to mention that fact that if an SEC team wins it just goes to further bolster the rhetoric of it being the best conference in college football (this obviously helps things like network deals, media coverage, and recruiting).

  7. #2807
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,151
    Quote Originally Posted by slvlol View Post
    Considering that every SEC school receives a portion of the conference's total bowl winnings, I'd say that's a logical reason to root for a rival whether you personally agree with it or not. That's not to mention that fact that if an SEC team wins it just goes to further bolster the rhetoric of it being the best conference in college football (this obviously helps things like network deals, media coverage, and recruiting).
    I'm pretty sure that the payout per team is the same regardless who wins, but certain bowls might be different. Like I know I read an article that both Clemson and OSU received 18MM for their Orange Bowl appearance. So in that case the money will come regardless, you could then flip the other end of your argument and say you want other SEC schools to get embarrassed on National TV so recruits are less likely to go there and maybe choose your school instead.

  8. #2808
    Blademaster slvlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the payout per team is the same regardless who wins, but certain bowls might be different. Like I know I read an article that both Clemson and OSU received 18MM for their Orange Bowl appearance. So in that case the money will come regardless, you could then flip the other end of your argument and say you want other SEC schools to get embarrassed on National TV so recruits are less likely to go there and maybe choose your school instead.
    You're right about the payouts, I was more referring to the situation when SEC fans are rooting for a team to win vs a non conference opponent to stay at the top of the rankings to get into a better bowl game, like rivalry week (UGA vs GT, Florida vs FSU, South Carolina vs Clemson.) Absolutely you want recruits to choose your school over others and having them lose helps that, but what about situations like A&M, Florida, USC. When kids are considering other in-state options being able to say you're going to get to play in the SEC can work to your advantage. The mindset in the SEC is very much an us vs them for a lot of fans.

  9. #2809
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    13,057
    Stupid rule is stupid. Nick Saban and Brett Bilema propose a new rule to slow down offenses.

    This just screams "whining because you can't stop it", and this is coming from an Alabama fan.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  10. #2810
    That rule is retarded.

  11. #2811
    Brewmaster Robbyjawz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Deadmines
    Posts
    1,434
    Agreed, you could just learn how to defend against it. Or just go with it, like the Pac 12 has. They said screw the power game for the most part, defense involves pass-rushes, and speedy DB's. Even then it can't really stop Oregon save for the one game they fack up every year.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.
    Sane people are boring. Or else I've been around insane people so long that I can't tell the difference anymore. Either way, chase away those silly notions of linear thought: they have never done anyone good.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

  12. #2812
    Herald of the Titans Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington, Land of Rain
    Posts
    2,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Agreed, you could just learn how to defend against it. Or just go with it, like the Pac 12 has. They said screw the power game for the most part, defense involves pass-rushes, and speedy DB's. Even then it can't really stop Oregon save for the one game they fack up every year.
    Its a curse placed by this man:


  13. #2813
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    13,057
    All right SEC naysayers, have this one.

    Instead of having a ninth conference game like the others, they decided that SEC teams will have a mandatory game against a Big-12, PAC-12, Big 10, or ACC team. So they're all going to emulate Alabama basically.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  14. #2814
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,857
    9 conference games only made sense for conferences that had 10 teams. The SEC has two 7 team divisions, so they have 6 divisional games to ensure they all play eachother, and 2 games outside the division to preserve rivalries, makes sense enough to me, and having the mandatory games against other conferences means they don't pile up a bunch of guaranteed losses in the conference like the Pac-12 does.

  15. #2815
    I am Murloc! cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    5,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    All right SEC naysayers, have this one.

    Instead of having a ninth conference game like the others, they decided that SEC teams will have a mandatory game against a Big-12, PAC-12, Big 10, or ACC team. So they're all going to emulate Alabama basically.
    They will still only schedule guaranteed wins, like most teams do - including my favorite in the PAC-12. I like the idea though, and I liked it a lot better when I thought it said they had to play one team from each conference every year (which, of course, doesn't make sense - but that was just my misread initially).
    The less you know, the more you believe.


    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

  16. #2816
    Mechagnome Ghraxxus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    unholy hell of Texas
    Posts
    728
    All I want is my thankgiving day or weekend game of Texas A&M and Texas rivalry back, since I seriously doubt we will see a UT vs. UTSA rivalry anytime soon.

    and I hope this new playoff system doesn't cater to Alabama.

  17. #2817
    dont they feed those boys at FSU?


  18. #2818
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    13,057
    Relevant enough, since he didn't really play in the NFL, Auburn tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen died in a car crash Sunday: http://espn.go.com/college-football/...d-car-accident

    I remember him being a pretty big deal on the field. Or maybe it was just because he had a memorable name. Isn't confirmed whether or not the driver was drunk, but either way it really sucks dying in a car crash when you weren't even driving.

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

  19. #2819
    As a Michigan fan, I'm not seeing any top recruits. Braxton Miller is out for the year and low and behold a freshman whose better than our stater...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Michigan won't be good again until they get a top coach who can bring in recruits

    - - - Updated - - -

    If they were able to pick up John Harbaugh when he leaves Baltimore they might just have a chance

  20. #2820
    Moderator Northern Goblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cumbria, England
    Posts
    6,705
    This thread has been replaced with a seasonal thread found here.


    Locking this thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •