Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh, whoops!

Alabama's $30K BCS trophy shattered

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN

A piece of history from the University of Alabama's championship run was shattered on Saturday afternoon following the Crimson Tide's annual A-Day scrimmage.

The Coaches' Trophy from this season's BCS national title was accidentally knocked off its podium and shattered by a player's father whose foot got caught on a rug that sits beneath the trophy display. The Waterford crystal trophy was on display in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility halls, home to coach Nick Saban's office and other athletic personnel.

The handmade trophy sculpted in Ireland is valued at $30,000. The university previously had two such trophies, one at the Paul W. Bryant Museum and the other at the athletic facility. A university spokesman confirmed that they will immediately begin the process of replacing the trophy.

---------- Post added 2012-04-17 at 09:13 PM ----------

In other LOLs:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    A Texas-based apparel company, Aggieland Outfitters, recalled a handful of T-shirts on Tuesday after they were ridiculed online for having some geographic mistakes.

The maroon shirt has an "SEC" logo emblazoned on a United States section map, ostensibly representing members of the league.

But North Carolina, which is not in the conference, is on the map. Missouri, however, is not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Uh, whoops!

Alabama's $30K BCS trophy shatteredIn other LOLs:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/2S5gv.jpg[IMG]
    That's awesome. Both things. I mean, you'd think they'd make those thing a bit more durable that, oh, oops fall, splat. I hope that apparel company isn't a big name in Texas. They should really do their research. Poor teams are gonna get slaughtered their first years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That's awesome. Both things. I mean, you'd think they'd make those thing a bit more durable that, oh, oops fall, splat. I hope that apparel company isn't a big name in Texas. They should really do their research. Poor teams are gonna get slaughtered their first years.
    Yeah I'm pissed that A&M is joining the SEC, I was really hoping for Clemson, they seemed like the most reasonable fit and since I'm from SC and a Gamecock fan I get tired of Clemson having a decent year every year just because they play in the shitshow that is the ACC. I have to agree as well A&M is going to get slaughtered their first couple of years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I hope that apparel company isn't a big name in Texas.
    It's run by Aggies, so, no.

---------- Post added 2012-04-18 at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Yeah I'm pissed that A&M is joining the SEC...
    I'm not. The beatdowns (and meltdowns) on their horizon will make for entirely new levels of hilarity.

Clemson is forever doomed to mediocrity. You can find solace in that I'm sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Uh... wow.

ESPN: John L. Smith era begins at Arkansas

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- John L. Smith stood at the podium, pouncing with a smile on every question he was asked about his surprise hire as the coach at Arkansas.

The guy asked to pick up the pieces following the scandal-tainted ouster of Bobby Petrino handled everything thrown his way and was adamant Tuesday about keeping Arkansas in the thick in the Southeastern Conference and national championship races.

"I want to say that our expectations are the same," Smith said at his introductory news conference with a handful of players watching nearby. "Nothing is going to slow down. In fact, we're going to speed up. Our expectations are that we're going to battle and fight for a national title."
    Quote Originally Posted by John L. Smith, on CFB Live
    My wife mentioned to me when we were contemplating this. She said "You know, this is the first time you have a good football team, and you're walking in the door, and your ability, probably, right off, to play for a national title is great there."
    Ouch, lol.

I predict that this will be quite entertaining.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    John L. Smith is a placeholder hire he is there because he knows the playbook and knows the people there. He is only signed to a 1 year deal so Arkansas can look to a different coach at the end of the year. Arkansas wanted to keep everything in tact as far as coordinator's and schemes this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    John L. Smith is a placeholder hire he is there because he knows the playbook and knows the people there.
    Of course. It was just a choice so far off the radar... I'm quite surprised they didn't just promote an interim from the existing staff.

15+ Year Old Account
    This week is the first big conference commissioners meeting to discuss the future of a college football playoff. All the commissioners, ADs from each conference, the BCS overlords, Bowl operators, and ESPN all meet to discuss the future of the sport. Hopefully they can get the groundwork set for at least a four team playoff (since it will be years before we get a 16 team that would make vastly more sense) and reduce the ridiculous money Bowls make off of the NCAA.

To play in the National Title game this year, LSU shelled out over $500,000 in tickets for coaches families, players families, and the band. LSU shelled out over $750,000 in hotel fees for lodging for the band and team. That doesn't even include the other tickets LSU was forced to buy to attend the bowl. Every ticket sold to the school at full face value, no discounts for being the star attraction, no discount because bowl games almost never sell out. And the Bowl gets every last dime from that and shells out a pittance to the SEC to split among all the school to cover the losses they incurred by attending other bowl games.

10+ Year Old Account
    They will probably do a plus 2 then in a couple of years go to a final 4 type deal then after that a 8 team that's the way I think will happen anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    BCS: "Accordingly, as we proceed to review our options for improving the postseason, we have taken off the table both an eight-team and 16-team playoff."

I like how they think a four-team "playoff" is okay, but somehow believe an eight-team version will "diminish the regular season and harm the bowls."

Below, I think Bill Hancock also said: "NOOO! YOU CANNOT HAVE THE PRECIOUSSS!"

the NCAA needs to take back their sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    the NCAA needs to take back their sport
    They get to much money thrown at them by the BCS to give a damn.

10+ Year Old Account
    ESPN: Big 12, SEC champs to play in bowl

The Big 12 and the Southeastern conferences have announced a deal that will pit their football regular-season champions against each other in a New Year's Day bowl game for five years beginning in 2014, positioning themselves for the expected switch to a four-team playoff.
    If one or both of the league champions are selected to play in the playoff, another team would be selected for the Big 12-SEC bowl showdown on Jan. 1.
    History tells us that this new bowl will involve many a replacement team. It also seems like a much better deal for the Big XII than the SEC...

ESPN: Big 12, SEC champs to play in bowl

History tells us that this new bowl will involve many a replacement team. It also seems like a much better deal for the Big XII than the SEC...
    yeah sounds like a big 12 #1 and SEC #3 match up lol.
    SEC is just too big for the rest of college football.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    yeah sounds like a big 12 #1 and SEC #3 match up lol.
    SEC is just too big for the rest of college football.
    Pretty much at least at the moment anyways. The rich keep getting richer scroll down and it has a list of the top 10 teams that made the most money last year and sec had 6 of the ten.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    They get to much money thrown at them by the BCS to give a damn.
    The NCAA itself doesn't get nearly the money they could from the playoffs. The NCAA is leaving literally hundreds of millions on the table. The people who get the kickbacks are the ADs keeping their jobs from making bowls and conference commissioners. Who are those people? Oh ya, the ones who keep voting over and over to keep the bowls alive. Just like Jim Delaney in the Big 10 who is actively voting against the idea of playing any of the Final 4 games at home fields in order to play it in the Rose Bowl. The Big 10 commish is actively trying to make it so his conference gets A( no home game in the playoffs, B( plays its only potential playoff game two thousand miles from its closest school, and C( absolutely no hometown revenue from an influx of visitors. He is sitting here saying "yes I realize that Ann Arbor or Columbus could make millions and millions of dollars from hotels, restaurants, ticket sales, merch sales, etc., but it is more important to the Big 10 that we support the Rose Bowl, a Bowl which is run by a private company and gives the schools next to nothing in a payout".

It is beyond insane that the NCAA doesn't step in and say what the hell are you guys doing. It makes no sense at all. Maybe the NCAA should stop forcing teams to report violations like Urban Meyer walking by a kid playing in a state final and wishing him good luck (actual secondary violation OSU had to self report) and focus on why they are letting billions of dollars walk right out their front door and into the pocket of corporations that own the bowls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. Uh... wow.

ESPN: John L. Smith era begins at Arkansas

Ouch, lol.

I predict that this will be quite entertaining.
    Oh jeez, why did I have to be reminded of this...
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

15+ Year Old Account
    TCU's AD let it slip today that FSU and Clemson are indeed trying to join the Big 12. You got to feel for the Big East and ACC. Their literal only hope of survival as football conferences is an 8 or 16 team playoff and the big conferences just aren't going to let that happen. Frankly, I think what will happen is that eventually the NCAA will transition to that playoff model, there is too much money being left on the table not to, but only after the big conferences kill off the smaller ones completely. I think we will end up with the big four conferences, the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, and Pac 12, then do an 8 team playoff with the division winners from each half of those leagues. Maybe if there are enough independents or WACs, MWs, etc. left around it could be 16 with like 10 auto bids and 6 at large selections, but I don't think teams like Notre Dame can stay independent for much longer. ND is already suffering greatly from not being in the Big 10. They play an arguably harder schedule because they don't get to play the conference jokes every season and their recruiting certainly suffers from having no real shot at all of winning a title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vandy's head coach is looking for a few good men......with hot wives

Even if the scientific proof is there (and it's not), there's no reason why you would say something so absurd to everyone. Keep it inside, man.

15+ Year Old Account
    Remember those amazing uniforms Maryland wore last year that were half black, half whatever the hell their flag is? Well, that is apparently now going to be their field.

It isn't known for sure if that is the design, but reportedly the turf being installed as of yesterday is black or pewter. Can't wait to see what it looks like and I am looking forward to even more school colored turfs being installed.