Thread: NCAA football

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Lol! Oregon won't make the National Championship Game now or possibly even the Rose Bowl if Stanford beats UCLA. I also dislike how Alabama slithered back into likely the #2 spot. I hope Georgia beats them.
    Oregon won't make the Pac-12 conference game now - regardless of the Stanford/UCLA result. Stanford's win also gave the Cardinals the tie-breaker in the North, so Oregon is out, period. There is a remote chance Oregon could come back and still make the NC game, but more than likely not.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-18 at 10:55 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Jesus. We are going to get another National Championship featuring Alabama, the most boring team in the sport. Come on USC beat Notre Dame next week for ultimate chaos mode.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Oregon won't make the Pac-12 conference game now - regardless of the Stanford/UCLA result. Stanford's win also gave the Cardinals the tie-breaker in the North, so Oregon is out, period. There is a remote chance Oregon could come back and still make the NC game, but more than likely not.
    No. Oregon can still make the Pac12 Championship game if UCLA beats Stanford, and Oregon beats Oregon State as that would make Oregon 8-1 in conference play and Stanford 7-2 in conference play. Oregon should only drop to #4 though if you ask me since the polls allowed Alabama to drop to only #4 after losing to Texas A&M.

It's still possible to get that Alabama-Oregon match up a lot of people want to see.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-11-18 at 01:00 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    please God just not another SEC v SEC title game...
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

10+ Year Old Account

So, bring out that Bama hate. All you fans of inferior conferences, come bask in the glory that is SEC football!

I am not writing UGA off like many Bama fans. They have talent, and if we swapped coaching staffs they might be favored imo.

Nobody that gets doubled up by Baylor ever deserved a shot at a national title. Getting that out of the way.

Oregon I was worried about playing, still am, but I knew they had several tough games left.

Another smaller victory, now Bama fans do not have to root for Lane Kiffin! Was dreading that. Guy is despicable.

Seriously though, loving this. Just like last time everyone was soooooooooooooo happy to see us lose. We're back!
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Lol! Oregon won't make the National Championship Game now or possibly even the Rose Bowl if Stanford beats UCLA. I also dislike how Alabama slithered back into likely the #2 spot. I hope Georgia beats them.
    I agree, Texas A&M BEAT Alabama IN Alabama. They are obviously a better team and should be ranked higher than Alabama. How can you say a team is better than another when they lost to them on their home turf. Its BS

Assuming Oregon wins the Civil War next week:

If UCLA loses next week --- Oregon plays Kansas St. in the Fiesta Bowl

If UCLA wins next week --- Oregon Hosts UCLA to play for the PAC-12 title and a Rose Bowl birth against Wisconsin/Michigan/Nebraska. Notre Dame plays Alabama/Georgia in the National Title Game.

If UCLA and USC win but Florida St loses --- Oregon Hosts UCLA to play for the PAC-12 title and
    a Rose Bowl birth against Wisconsin/Michigan/Nebraska. Notre Dame plays Kansas St. in the the Fiesta Bowl. Alabama/Georgia will play Florida in an all SEC National Title Game.

If UCLA, USC and Florida State all win --- Oregon Hosts UCLA to play for the PAC-12 title and a potential trip to the National Championship game against Alabama/Georgia.

If UCLA, USC, FSU, and Georgia Tech all win and Georgia turns around and beats Alabama, then the Mayans were correct and the world is indeed ending with the stars aligning and C'Thulu rising from the depths to consume humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I agree, Texas A&M BEAT Alabama IN Alabama. They are obviously a better team and should be ranked higher than Alabama. How can you say a team is better than another when they lost to them on their home turf. Its BS
    That logic makes zero sense realistically. Makes great sense in your head I bet. So whenever a team beats another team they just take that team's previous ranking. Awesome! So Baylor should be #1....

It is not BS, it is the BCS.

Funny thing is how so many people can't wait for the BCS to end. Like the BCS is making the SEC dominate. You are going to be severely disappointed when you are still seeing an SEC team in the title every year.

Going by the polls, if the 4 team playoff were here today you would still see 2/4 teams from the SEC. Winner of SEC champ and likely Florida.

I am willing to bet that we start seeing more SEC v SEC championship games with the new system. SEC is simply the best, and by a very large margin. Cream rises to the top, no matter what system is in place.

All of you folks rooting for UGA in SEC champ make sure to wear all black. That is what they like to do when they get ready to lose.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-18 at 07:36 PM.
    I like sandwiches

SEC teams are given so goddamn much

UGA has 1 loss, 1 win over a ranked team and is #3
    FSU has 1 loss, 1 win over a ranked team and is unranked by 2 BCS computers

if UGA and FSU both win this weekend, FSU will have 2 wins over 2 top 10 teams and the same record and will be ranked 8th at best

UGA just doesn't deserve it yet there they are, on the outside looking in with their awful defense and cushy schedule

then you have LSU (overranked), uSC (overranked), a&m (overranked), etc

guess that's what you get when you own network television, they overrank everyone to make the matchups easier to sell

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    It won't matter as long as ND wins out.
    Did you even read my post?

For the record, I am perfectly happy with Oregon getting an auto bid to the Fiesta Bowl and having two PAC-12 teams in BCS games for the third year in a row.
    Last edited by webzagar; 2012-11-18 at 07:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

UGA has 1 loss, 1 win over a ranked team and is #3
    FSU has 1 loss, 1 win over a ranked team and is unranked by 2 BCS computers

if UGA and FSU both win this weekend, FSU will have 2 wins over 2 top 10 teams and the same record and will be ranked 8th at best

UGA just doesn't deserve it yet there they are, on the outside looking in with their awful defense and cushy schedule

then you have LSU (overranked), uSC (overranked), a&m (overranked), etc

guess that's what you get when you own network television, they overrank everyone to make the matchups easier to sell
    Strength of schedule means more than just ranked teams. The ACC is known for being terrible, with two good teams and the rest at the bottom of the pile.

Though I still can't grasp how LSU is ranked so high. Really. Yes, their two losses are to Alabama and Florida, but still. They barely beat Ole Miss. Logically, A&M should be above them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? That was such a stretch it wandered over into the fan fiction area.

Do you realize why the SEC gets so much respect? Well, obviously not. They are the best conference from top to bottom. There are no easy wins, except Kentucky this year. Look at how Ole Miss almost beat LSU yesterday in Baton Rouge.

FSU is in the ACC. The ACC is horrible this year. About as good as the Big East. This is not basketball. This is football.

Do not believe in stats? Well, maybe you would listen to NFL executives. Doubt it, but take a look at where the most NFL players come from. It ain't the Big East or Big 12 or Pac 10, it is the SEC. ACC still hanging in due to early 2000s Miami. Do you think that the NFL has no idea where the talent is?

All of the evidence says that you are full of crap. The numbers prove it, but common sense alone is enough to see through your paper thin argument.

As for the SEC owning network television...I am not even getting into that nonsense.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Though I still can't grasp how LSU is ranked so high. Really. Yes, their two losses are to Alabama and Florida, but still. They barely beat Ole Miss. Logically, A&M should be above them.
    Ole Miss could beat the majority of the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, Big East teams by double digits. That is why. LSU would stomp them by 20+.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by webzagar View Post
    Did you even read my post?

For the record, I am perfectly happy with Oregon getting an auto bid to the Fiesta Bowl and having two PAC-12 teams in BCS games for the third year in a row.
    I read it. Sorry, I thought that you were talking about getting into the title, not a BCS game. IMO, a 1 loss Oregon should go over an unbeaten ND. They need to keep slapping ND in the face until they admit that they are not some special snowflake allowed to do whatever they want with their very own network (want to talk about someone having their own network mr Fizz).

I guess everyone has their own standards. Congratulations on making those BCS games. At the end of the day, anyone with a good team in a nice place to live is a winner. So it is better to be a Duck fan in Oregon than a Bama fan in Alabama. All we have is titles here. Life is bleak otherwise. In other words, I would trade situations in a heartbeat. Rather live in a proper state than have a winning football team.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-18 at 07:46 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Are you serious? That was such a stretch it wandered over into the fan fiction area.

Do you realize why the SEC gets so much respect? Well, obviously not. They are the best conference from top to bottom. There are no easy wins, except Kentucky this year. Look at how Ole Miss almost beat LSU yesterday in Baton Rouge.

FSU is in the ACC. The ACC is horrible this year. About as good as the Big East. This is not basketball. This is football.

Do not believe in stats? Well, maybe you would listen to NFL executives. Doubt it, but take a look at where the most NFL players come from. It ain't the Big East or Big 12 or Pac 10, it is the SEC. ACC still hanging in due to early 2000s Miami. Do you think that the NFL has no idea where the talent is?

All of the evidence says that you are full of crap. The numbers prove it, but common sense alone is enough to see through your paper thin argument.

As for the SEC owning network television...I am not even getting into that nonsense.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 01:37 PM ----------

Ole Miss could beat the majority of the ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, Big East teams by double digits. That is why. LSU would stomp them by 20+.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 01:42 PM ----------

I read it. Sorry, I thought that you were talking about getting into the title, not a BCS game. IMO, a 1 loss Oregon should go over an unbeaten ND. They need to keep slapping ND in the face until they admit that they are not some special snowflake allowed to do whatever they want with their very own network (want to talk about someone having their own network mr Fizz).

I guess everyone has their own standards. Congratulations on making those BCS games. At the end of the day, anyone with a good team in a nice place to live is a winner. So it is better to be a Duck fan in Oregon than a Bama fan in Alabama. All we have is titles here. Life is bleak otherwise. In other words, I would trade situations in a heartbeat. Rather live in a proper state than have a winning football team.
    I'm sorry that ND has just been better than Alabama. I'm sorry they beat better competition and haven't lost.
    Keep The Beats!

Strength of schedule means more than just ranked teams. The ACC is known for being terrible, with two good teams and the rest at the bottom of the pile.

SoS means shit in reality or people would stop saying the SEC is the toughest conference, last year it was the big 12 that held that honor but did that affect rankings?

no

and one of the worst teams in FBS is in the SEC (kentucky).

10+ Year Old Account
    Way to conveniently ignore my post. Not surprised that you have such a warped view when you selectively choose what information you accept.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TheImmortalLordAtlas View Post
    I'm sorry that ND has just been better than Alabama. I'm sorry they beat better competition and haven't lost.
    All good. I was hoping we would play ND before all the goodness of last night. Irish will be forced to play us now and not be able to weasel out like they did with our scheduled meets a few years ago.

ND fans should be kissing Baylor and Stanford's feet too. You would not have gone to the title game ahead of KSU or Oregon if they were unbeaten. Why? Because everyone saw how bad that team really is on national television against Purdue, Pitt, BYU and BC. All teams that Bama would have stomped by 20 at least, and just about anyone that matters knows that (FYI: Lou Holtz does not matter).
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-18 at 08:03 PM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    SoS means shit in reality or people would stop saying the SEC is the toughest conference, last year it was the big 12 that held that honor but did that affect rankings?

no

None of this makes any sense. First off, strength of schedule obviously means something because people wouldn't be so gung-ho on Notre Dame. And when you DO have five teams in the top ten, you can't deny that the SEC has a better top-heavy load than other conferences. Maybe the PAC 12 this year matches up, but that's it. You can't tell me the ACC is a GOOD BCS conference. They never have been.

And no, if you want to go by record, Kentucky is not the worst team. Colorado, Kansas, Southern Miss, Hawaii, Washington State, and New Mexico State all have equal or worse records.

None of this makes any sense. First off, strength of schedule obviously means something because people wouldn't be so gung-ho on Notre Dame. And when you DO have five teams in the top ten, you can't deny that the SEC has a better top-heavy load than other conferences. Maybe the PAC 12 this year matches up, but that's it. You can't tell me the ACC is a GOOD BCS conference. They never have been.

And no, if you want to go by record, Kentucky is not the worst team. Colorado, Kansas, Southern Miss, Hawaii, Washington State, and New Mexico State all have equal or worse records.
    UGA's sos is around 50. they're gonna be ranked #3 in the BCS tomorrow because they're in the SEC, not because they're worthy. there are 6 teams BELOW them in the BCS with 1 loss and tougher SoS

but why are they ranked so high? because they're going to be in the SECCG no matter what happens saturday. they are going to be on prime time TV against alabama assuming alabama can take care of 3-8 auburn

UM started off the season overranked because they played alabama too whic his why they went from top 10 to fighting to be in the top 25, they were never any better than that, but that matchup at the start of the season had to be built up

any of you nerds in marketing know this. if you wanna sell your product, you make it seem better than it is.

hell bama hypocrites wanted to talk shit about how UF never went west of the mississippi to play games when they were winning NC with tebow, but fuck even they have FSU scheduled every year who is still on a streak of 30+ seasons without a losing record, something no SEC team can claim.

the problem is all the SEC TV deals, when a major network is and has been your bitch for years and years, when you're the conference that represents the most football crazed part of the USA and when you're recruiting the best players at the game in your own backyard, you'll be perceived as greater than you are.

stanford has 2 losses, beat the #2 team, is going to end up with a top 5 SoS and guess which 2 loss teams are ranked above them.........SEC TEAMS

they get the benefit of the doubt every time, it's not debatable. it's why homers like tuscaloosa boy up there brings out the NFL draft because he doesn't have jack shit else to stand on.

i thought bama was the clear #1 until the LSU game then the A&M game showed it wasn't a fluke, if you stack the LOS bama can't win because mccarron can't hit the broad side of the barn with a pass

starting to think his mom's great tits got him the starting job as alabama

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

Way to conveniently ignore my post. Not surprised that you have such a warped view when you selectively choose what information you accept.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:02 PM ----------

All good. I was hoping we would play ND before all the goodness of last night. Irish will be forced to play us now and not be able to weasel out like they did with our scheduled meets a few years ago.

ND fans should be kissing Baylor and Stanford's feet too. You would not have gone to the title game ahead of KSU or Oregon if they were unbeaten. Why? Because everyone saw how bad that team really is on national television against Purdue, Pitt, BYU and BC. All teams that Bama would have stomped by 20 at least, and just about anyone that matters knows that (FYI: Lou Holtz does not matter).
    so what happens when ND takes the best front 7 in football, stacks the LOS and forces alabama to beat them deep?

is mccarron going be mccarron, or is he going to actually hit more than 18% of his passes over 30 yards this time. but keep thumping your chest, UGA doesn't play D, auburn can't play D, your team will back into the NC for the second straight year.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Probably because LSU beat A&M...

10+ Year Old Account
    your team will back into the NC for the second straight year.
    First intelligent thing you have ever said. Mark this date in a calendar. It is Fizzbob Day!

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:35 PM ----------

they get the benefit of the doubt every time, it's not debatable. it's why homers like tuscaloosa boy up there brings out the NFL draft because he doesn't have jack shit else to stand on.

i thought bama was the clear #1 until the LSU game then the A&M game showed it wasn't a fluke, if you stack the LOS bama can't win because mccarron can't hit the broad side of the barn with a pass
    Tuscaloosa boy, OK. At least I have the gall to list where I represent. You have yet to say where you are from. I am guessing that is because you are ashamed of your team. All I can figure.

Again with McCarron. Would not trade that guy for anyone in football. His mom's boobs are just icing. Only a fool would say that a guy that threw over 300 passes without an interception is anything but awesome. Then his 2 picks that he threw were the fault of the receivers. Sorry that he did not go to your school.

You really have some deep hatred for Alabama football. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your hate fuels our winning!!!!!!!
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    After these last few posts I think I will go every day waking up and being thankful my team is in the PAC 12.