Thread: NCAA football

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    So the only wins Oregon has is over bad SEC teams. Mississippi State was pretty bad back then, and Tennessee hasn't had a decent team since they won the NC. Granted they haven't played many in recent history, still not a good stat though.
    So the SEC teams are bad only because Oregon beat them? Not sure you're seeing the full picture there.

As far as this NC game goes, it was pretty bad. I told all my friends going in that it would show whether ND was good or lucky, I think we know which now. You let Alabama run the ball like that you are gonna lose every time.
    Totally agree - and I was pretty convinced before the game that ND was highly overrated. Only teams that would have been great to see in the NC game were either Texas A&M or Oregon. Although, despite my obvious love of Oregon, it's hard to see anyone beating the Tide, even though they are a one-loss team this year.

As far as next year goes it should be interesting. Alabama is still probably the class of the SEC going into next year and probably will be every year until Saban leaves. That said though, I'm interested to see what Texas A&M, Ohio State, Oregon, and Stanford do next year. I honestly don't think anyone else has much of a chance without some luck ( Florida's coach has no control over his guys and he came from the choke job that is Texas). I think ND gets snapped back to reality next year.

Anyways thats another year closed out, time for some hockey
    Yeah, next year should be great/interesting. I agree about the teams you listed as ones to watch (although, obviously Oregon was already on my radar).

Edit: Changed Tex Tech to Texas A&M, because that's what I meant to put in the first god damned place.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-01-08 at 06:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Only teams that would have been great to see in the NC game were either Tex Tech or Oregon.
    Do you mean Texas A&M? Otherwise you have some explaining to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Watch out for that Air Raid offense...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Watch out for that Air Raid offense...
    Heh, speaking of which, the Aggies don't exactly have fond memories of getting dominated by Dykes or Leach from the mid 90s through the late 2000s. I remember a stretch of 13 or 14 games out of which aTm only won three. After that, calling them "Tech" is probably enough to get a sword drawn on you.
    Last edited by Sayl; 2013-01-08 at 06:32 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit - yes, I mean Texas A&M. I'll be in the corner in a time out for 5 minutes.

Heh, not to mention that the Aggies don't exactly have fond memories of getting dominated by Dykes or Leach from the mid 90s through the late 2000s. I remember a stretch of 13 or 14 games out of which aTm only won three. After that, calling them "Tech" is probably enough to get a sword drawn on you.
    Speaking of Mike Leach, I was really hoping that he'd be able to turn around WSU's team this year. I'm not a Mike Leach (I think he behaves like a child similar to Mike Stoops) or Wazzu fan by any means, but it would be nice for that game to be less of a blowout.

In recent news, how about that AP Poll putting ND as 4th? I figured a slaughter like last night would push them a bit lower.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Mike Leach, I was really hoping that he'd be able to turn around WSU's team this year. I'm not a Mike Leach (I think he behaves like a child similar to Mike Stoops) or Wazzu fan by any means, but it would be nice for that game to be less of a blowout.

In recent news, how about that AP Poll putting ND as 4th? I figured a slaughter like last night would push them a bit lower.
    Lovin' the AP poll as an Oregon fan, personally. ND should never have even been up there to start with, although I can't think of any good way to do the rankings differently.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with your assessment of Leach; he cranks out some great one-liners but I don't care for his demeanor as a coach. If history tells us anything though, even if Leach does turn Wazzu around, it won't be for long. They haven't managed more than three consecutive winning seasons since World War II (1957-1959; 2001-2003). Ouch.

As usual, I have to wonder how many voters are watching the same season we are, or if some are even watching at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    As usual, I have to wonder how many voters are watching the same season we are, or if some are even watching at all.
    I doubt they are, same as the coaches poll. It is impossible to watch every game all year so you end up with groupthink and regional bias (just like the Heisman!). Not surprised at all that ND only fell to 4th though. Think TAMU should have been ahead of them so at worst they drop to 5th since I wouldn't see slotting Georgia or Stanford ahead of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hah. Musburger drooling over AJ's girlfriend prompted ESPN to issue an apology.

“We always try to capture interesting storylines and the relationship between an Auburn grad who is Miss Alabama and the current Alabama quarterback certainly met that test. However, we apologize that the commentary in this instance went too far and Brent understands that.”

Pff. I don't think she minds, fellas. Discover probably shelled out tens of millions of dollars to sponsor the game, and I'll bet more people signed up to follow her on Twitter than applied for Discover cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're forgetting the most important thing about the end-of-season rankings. Vandy made it to 23rd!

The ESPNU fan rankings are a joke, wow.

And people are already making preseason top 25 rankings. http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ly-2013-top-25

I find this totally pointless, as we haven't seen the recruiting, and we don't even know who all are heading to the draft over staying for final seasons.

It's ESPN. If they covered politics they'd already be having Skip Bayless on every hour talking about who he thinks will make the best president in 2016.

Anyways, I'm not exactly surprised by the outcome of that game. Either TAMU, Oregon or Georgia should have played them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The ESPNU fan rankings are a joke, wow.
    Looks like they reverted to 2012 pre-season rankings. If you click on the "submit" button it takes you to a post dated August 20th.

High Overlord EleShamLAZERBEAMZ's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's SEC or nothing until they are uncrowned.

Even mentioning other teams in the convo for a national title while 5 of the top teams in the country are from the same conference shows a disconnect from reality.

9 out of 15 bcs titles to a total of 5 teams lol

Yes the other teams look unstoppable while playing their conference schedule then to get to the SEC champion, and be made to look impotent (whats that middle linebacker for ND name again?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EleShamLAZERBEAMZ View Post

Even mentioning other teams in the convo for a national title while 5 of the top teams in the country are from the same conference shows a disconnect from reality.

Yes the other teams look unstoppable while playing their conference schedule then to get to the SEC champion, and be made to look impotent (whats that middle linebacker for ND name again?)
    Yeah, because that SEC vs SEC NC game last year was SO entertaining. Oh yeah, and two of those SEC teams you mentioned (Florida and LSU) LOST their games to lower ranked teams from the ACC and Big East. And another one (Georgia) was in a very close and competitive game until they pulled away in the fourth quarter. That means only two of those teams made their opposition look 'impotent'.

Before you spew your diarrhea all over the screen, you might want to actually check and see if the teams you're holding up as examples of 'SEC dominance' even managed to win their bowl games in the first place.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EleShamLAZERBEAMZ View Post

With all due respect, you might be a little disconnected from reality. Oregon vs Auburn, 2 point difference, last second score for the win. Check the stats before you post something like this - reality can be a bitch.

However, that being said, Alabama is indeed becoming some kind of dynasty. Not sure what you need to "arrive", but 3/4 years snagging the title is a pretty good start (and I hate the SEC).

Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post
    Yeah, because that SEC vs SEC NC game last year was SO entertaining. Oh yeah, and two of those SEC teams you mentioned (Florida and LSU) LOST their games to lower ranked teams from the ACC and Big East. And another one (Georgia) was in a very close and competitive game until they pulled away in the fourth quarter. That means only two of those teams made their opposition look 'impotent'.

Before you spew your diarrhea all over the screen, you might want to actually check and see if the teams you're holding up as examples of 'SEC dominance' even managed to win their bowl games in the first place.
    LSU has a history of no showing in big games more often than not under Miles. Florida didn't bother to show up against Louisville because their coach just let them quit once it was apparent they weren't playing for the title this year. Totally lost control of the team. However. Every time some team comes along that is going to dethrone the supposedly over rated SEC, that team gets smacked around. I'll entertain the over rated argument when they stop winning.

15+ Year Old Account
    The NCAA's all time leading rushing QB will be playing the in Senior Bowl as a WR making a transition he should have started a while ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Finangus View Post

The SEC still had the best conference record in bowl games this year for BCS conferences. Are you suggesting that they have to go undefeated to be a dominance? That's borderline impossible when you have 9 teams playing bowl games.

Oregon posted its schedule. We have Tennessee at home. Just a reminder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUd36Sc86MA